Madison Tyler Holdings Trading Analyst Interview Questions

3.7

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

They ask difficult questions, I think they're looking for those freak genius types that can answer any brainteaser on the spot - only hire Caltech/Harvard/BYU people from what I can tell. Sent in my resume through their website, received an email asking for a phone interview. The HR person forgot to send me the interview confirmation, but that's not a huge deal as we had already agreed on a time. 1st round wasn't too tough - the clock hands questions, plus some others described below. Interviewer was very nice and gave compliments on my quick solutions. 2nd round was ok until the second question, which I struggled with greatly. The interviewer was very patient and nice in helping me work out the solution, which took me over 30 minutes since I felt kind of stuck. As soon as we got the correct answer he said "thanks for calling, we'll be in touch" and hung up. I could tell he was amused by how long it took me to get the answer. (FYI this question is the chessboard one below). I haven't officially heard back yet but there's no way they'll want to fly someone out if it takes so long to get a solution at the phone interview stage.

Interview Questions

• Let's say I have 50 coins in my hand, that add up to a dollar. One falls out. What is the chance that it is a penny?   1 Answer
  • We play a game. You flip two coins, if you get both heads I give you $1. If you get both tails you flip again. If you get one of each, I pay you nothing. What's the expected value of this game?   5 Answers
  • Assume its 6:45. What is the angle between the minute and hour hands? When will they next overlap, to the nearest SECOND?   2 Answers
  • How many trailing zeros are there in 1000! (1000 factorial ie 1000 x 999 x 998 .... x 3 x 2 x 1)   3 Answers
  • Assume that on a chessboard, the King piece is on tile E1 (bottom row, 5 columns across). It can move straight forward, forward diagonally to the left, or forward diagonally to the right on each move. How many different paths can it take to get to tile E8 (top row, five columns across) in exactly 7 moves?   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Madison Tyler Holdings

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

General HR questions followed by probability brain teasers. The asked the same questions posted on the forums by previous applicants. If you want to be prepared just figure out the answers before your interview and memorize them. They weren't interested in how the problems were solved just that you spat out the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• How many degrees are between the hour and minute hand on an analog clock when it is 5:15?   6 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Beverly Hills, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I submitted a resume to a recruiter after seeing an ad on our career center's electronic job board and got an email to schedule a phone interview within a few days. The phone interview was done while I was at a museum, in fact. The interviewer asked a couple of prepared math questions and then a more in-depth probability question. He was impressed because I was able to do the first two questions in my head, but I did so badly on the probability question that he wanted me to call him so he could ask another. I called him back and did poorly on the second question, but after emailing him the correct solution, I was invited onsite. (It helped to live within a 10-mile radius of the office!) When I arrived, I filled out their application but was stopped in the middle of it so the interview could begin. There was an IQ-type test (which I did well on) and then an LSAT-type test...I only answered one question correctly on the LSAT exam, but the interview kept going. The director had me go through my resume and it seemed to him my background was not a fit. Nevertheless, we pushed on and I was given a probability question by a trader who was in his 5th year with the company. I spent about 20 minutes ferociously defending my wrong answer before he interrupted and showed me how to get the right answer with simple arithmetic. Surprisingly enough, he said I was intelligent enough to work there. However, after learning about the time commitment (12-13 hours/day x 5-6 days) and the nature of the work, I decided I'd only be interested in the money and not the work itself. After telling the interviewer that I couldn't see myself doing the work, we decided to end it and I left.

Interview Questions

• You have two dice What is the probability of rolling a "3" total before rolling a "7" total?   3 Answers
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings in May 2011.

Interview

The phone interview consisted of a short greeting followed by four quatitative questions. I answered all the questions correctly and was still rejected without any feedback. Very confusing recruitment process.

Interview Questions

• what is the angle made by the hands of a clock at 5:15   Answer Question

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Sydney (Australia)) in May 2011.

Interview

Was told to expect a phone call from LA at a certain time and that i would be getting an interview with a series of brainteasers. The guy asked me about myself and if I was good at maths. Then we went straight into it. Was asked to be as precise as possible without using a calculator. Precision was stressed. I asked if there was any time constraint and was told there was not. The interviewer had a rather distant disinterested tone throughout. I was a little anxious and so i stumbled over the task of getting the exact answer to the second question without a calculator. He told me I answered the first and third correctly but i was a little off on the second. After he asked me if I had any questions about the company and said they would get back to me. A day or so later i heard back that they had other people who gave more precise answers to the questions and so there would be no followup interviews.

Interview Questions

• Whats the angle between the hands at 5:15?   1 Answer
    • What time do the hands next meet?   2 Answers
    • There are 5 coins on a table. One of them has a heads on both sides. If you pick up one of the coins and flip it 5 times and get heads each time what is the probability that you have picked up the double sided coin?   3 Answers

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2011.

Interview

I applied online in their website. Got a call from a trader (located in their California HQ) on the next day about a possible phone interview with HR in the following week. The interviewer called me 30 minutes early without any explanation or apology. He seemed utterly disinterested in me from the beginning. Asked me why I wanna be a trader and then asked me three probability/logic questions. I answered all of them correctly but made a calculation mistake at first in one of them, fixed that immediately after he pointed that out. All of my questions about the company/role were answered with minimal words and he was keen to show me his lack of interest. Got the rejection email on the next day.

Interview Questions

• What is the angle between the hour hand and minute hand in a clock at 5:15?   5 Answers
    • Why do you want to be a trader?   Answer Question

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings in April 2011.

Interview

Email communication with the HR was poor to start with, unprofessionally handled the time zone difference and never confirmed the exact time of the interview, left me to guessing the time of interview. The interviewer called in 20 mins late, and made no apology at all. He asked me how much I know of the company, I told him the things I read on their website (which is very limited) and some news I read recently. The response was flat and dry. So I asked him to tell me more about the company and the role, he said nothing more than what I told him and started waffling that the role requires analytic and communication skill, but not what the role really involves. He was an HR guy so I didn't expect too much, but it almost felt like he didn't know what the role really was, and certainly made no effort to attract me. He then asked me brain teasers, I answered the questions. And no further question was asked, he didn't ask me anything about my CV. At this point, I find it hard to comprehend why have they conducted such interview. His attitude was somehow like they are the best company in the world that needed no persuasion, but this usually comes with tough interview questions as in GS, Citadel or DE Shaw. Apparently, these 5.15 clock questions were no where near difficult. Their reluctancy to show interest in you just tells me that they are reluctant to show interest to their employees. And I had no interest in going further with them either.

Interview Questions

• Whats the angle between the hour and minute hands at 5:15?   Answer Question

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings in April 2011.

Interview

The interviewing panel was nice. I was looking for employment in Australia. As they said they are looking for the brightest in the market, I know I'm not, so I didnt really have much hope either

Trading Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings in October 2010.

Interview

Phone interview from HR in LA. Asked a couple of quite difficult reasoning problems, when I struggled they asked me to mail them a solution, which they claimed not have received. They seemed more interested in my answers to the questions than anything else, and certainly didn't try to persuade me that it was a good company to work for.

Interview Questions

• You roll a dice, I give you that number in dollars. You can accept at any time but have a max of 3 rolls and must accept the third. How do you maximise your return?   Answer Question

Trade Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Madison Tyler Holdings in September 2010.

Interview

There was a group of 6 or 7 of us and the recruiters gave a short presentation on the company. Then they administered two tests. One was a logic test and the second a math test which was mostly probability based. These each took 30 minutes. They said that the next step if we did well on these tests would be a phone interview. I have not yet heard back from them but it hasn't been a week yet.