Maersk Line

37 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Terminal Operations Coordinator Interview

Terminal Operations Coordinator

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line.

Interview Details – Bunch of tests, lame interviewer. Got a call to come back to meet the VP. They tried to reneg. the salary after it was agreed. Responsibilities of the position kept changing depending on the VP talked to,.

Manager Interview

Manager
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line.

Interview Details – Internal candidate. 1 panel interview with typical behavior questions. I wish they asked more specific job related questions since somebody with prepared, even dishonest answers would wow this group. Since they offer all jobs internally before going outside the firm, the process was rather quick. After the final applicant was interviewed they made offer immediately.

Interview Question – Request to talk about cross cultural or cross-group leadership examples.   Answer Question

Talent Manager Interview

Talent Manager
Norfolk, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line in December 2013.

Interview Details – HR employee found my resume on Monster and contacted me for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 minutes long and went into high level interview questions about my past work experience. The in person meeting went from 8:30am - 6:30pm. I met with all of the team members, had lunch with the entire team, delivered a 45 minute presentation on a specific task, and finally met with the HR Director for over 4 hours (2 hours past the set interview time). She was nice but seemed to want to prove her knowledge in Psychology. At the end of the week, I received a call from the HR employee asking me if I was still interested in the position, what my salary expectations were, and telling me that they have great benefits. He verbally offered me the position and told me that he would put together an offer letter the following day. The next day passed and I emailed him. He then told me that he was busy and would get me an offer letter by Thursday. Thursday passed and I called him on Friday afternoon. He finally called me back to tell me "we call really like you but the HR director has decided to go in a different direction and wanted to continue looking for other candidates". I later saw a new add out for a more junior level position. Overall, probably the most unprofessional experiences that I have ever had interviewing. I am glad that I found out how they treated people earlier than actually being employed in the company.

Interview Question – Rather than giving an overall presentation on my experience and background, I was asked to give a presentation on a plan to develop a competency model.   View Answer

Sales Support Specialist Interview

Sales Support Specialist
The Woodlands, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process started with a phone call to confirm my interest in the position, and to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was a few days later, conducted by a corporate (NJ) employee. It lasted about 40 minutes and was fairly standard questions (Why do you want to work here? How do you prioritize tasks/handle a lot of work that has to be done at once? What are your career goals?) It was about a week week before I was offered an on-location interview at The Woodlands, TX office, which was scheduled several days later.

The in-person interview consisted of a short interview with an HR employee, about 20 minutes. This was somewhat like the phone interview (Why do you want to work here? Tell me about your work history. What skills make you a good fit for this role?) Then there was a longer interview with the department supervisor and GM, about 40 minutes. This started with asking what I knew about the company and continued with more in-depth experiential and behavioral questions, including an open-ended prompt to discuss my work history. The interviewers were very personable and friendly.

It was more than two weeks before I was given a tentative offer of employment by the GM, and then several more days before I was given a formal offer by corporate. The next day I received an email with a website to access to initiate the background check. (You should have all info available: work dates, pay rates, graduation dates, etc. for this process) After this was complete, the website prompted me to schedule a drug test at a participating location of my choice. I completed the drug test the same day. I did the background check form and the drug test as soon as I got them (at the beginning of the week), which seems to have sped things up because initially I was quoted a start date of three weeks later, but was able to start much sooner.

There was no personality test or IQ test as related by less recent applicants. They must have done away with this part of the process for the time being.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to work outside of your comfort zone.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; I really wanted this job and the salary was acceptable. Also, the benefits are excellent.

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Charlotte, NC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line in August 2010.

Interview Details – The HR Director, Hiring Director, Senior Director, and a Project Manager interviewed me in a conversation style interview that lasted two hours. Each person embellished on the previous person's conversation and we went through about five rounds. It was not difficult but was quite specific.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had multiple tasks and not enough time to address them. How did you prioritize them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none available

Process Improvement Interview

Process Improvement
Madison, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line in October 2010.

Interview Details – Maersk believes in a 2 prong personality and intelligence testing program (LI and PI). Based on your PI profile (where they generally favor high a/ low c in managers) they interview lists of candidates in 1-1 meetings with experienced HR interviewers. Following the HR interview, you may be flown into the head office where you will face either a 1-1 interview with the hiring manager followed by a 1-1 interview with their manager who can 'grandfather' the hiring decision, or face a panel interview. Generally personality and attitude will trump experience because the Maersk culture is one of its own and does not generally highly value the attitudes that experienced individuals from other companies will bring if they won't fit into the culture. Following a hiring decision you will need to go through a background test and drug test that adds another 2 weeks to the process.

Interview Question – What is the most effective way you have found to accomplish results in a large organization where you have to convince people who do not work for you to go along with your ideas?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Maersk pay offers will tend to be about 10-20% below market - but the benefits are better than average in almost any US industry. Take the job if you value an international company/ mindset and are willing to trade cash for healthcare benefits, paid time off, etc.

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Maersk Line.

Interview Details – 1st round: Personality & problem solving test in parallel with the 30-min technical phone interview,
2nd round: 30-min face-to-face HR interview after doing the problem-solving test again there, and one-hour technical interview after HR interview
Unfortunately the HR personnel do not coordinate the process well, the person who sent me an invitation to HR interview was different from who was in contact with the technical team. One of them rejected me and another one invited me to the interview and they didn't told me about the time of the technical interview before and I got surprised when it happened after the HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Convince me why did you apply for this job despite of your background in business analysis, not technical analysis?   Answer Question
  • How is the typical day you think you would have in this role? (The question that you may prepare to ask them, but they would ask you before)   Answer Question

Chief Accountant Interview

Chief Accountant
Beirut (Lebanon)

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Maersk Line in May 2013.

Interview Details – It all started with an IQ tests and a personality test which is globally applied. Followed by an interview with the HR manager, then with the Finance Manager. After passing those and getting the offer signed, the induction was nice by introducing the company policies by the HR manager where you will get a booklet about those policies compliant with the local Labor Law

Interview Question – Actually the interviews were kept simple not too much technical knowledge inquires   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Short and simple

Associate Interview

Associate
Powai, Maharashtra (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Maersk Line in May 2011.

Interview Details – Aptitude Test, Essay round, psychometric test, HR round

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate. They have a fixed salary for freshers.
Experienced proffessional can expect a good package

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Maersk Line in February 2012.

Interview Details – Assessment interview at their office. Chat with the HR Manager and finally interview with the Head of the department in Copenhagen. Role involves travelling to Denmark and 6 regional offices.

Interview Question – Experience on business rules application in a shipping company.Any experience on the application of J rules.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Maersk Line

Worked for Maersk Line? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Maersk Line interview questions and advice. All 37 interview reviews posted anonymously by Maersk Line employees and interview candidates.