Maersk Line

Updated Feb 4, 2015

Maersk Liner Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maersk Line in August 2014.

A friend of mine at our school job fair told me about this position and to e-mail a lady there which I did. We did a 30 minute phone interview the next day and then I came in the next week to an interview with her and two people in charge of the program that were on the big screen from another city. It lasted about an hour. This was my first in person behavioral interview and I learned a lot from it. There was a final round which I did not make it to due to lack of preparation. It was very behavior based. Salary was $55,000/yr.
    Questions:
    Tell me about yourself.
    Why are you interested in this company/position?
    Why will you be successful in this position?
    Tell me about a time where you worked in a team effectively.
    Tell me about a time where you acted as a leader.
    Tell me about a time when you experienced failure, what did you do?

Interview Questions
    • None, probably "Tell me about a time you experienced failure and what you did after."   Answer Question

Terminal Operations Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line.

Bunch of tests, lame interviewer. Got a call to come back to meet the VP. They tried to reneg. the salary after it was agreed. Responsibilities of the position kept changing depending on the VP talked to,.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line.

Internal candidate. 1 panel interview with typical behavior questions. I wish they asked more specific job related questions since somebody with prepared, even dishonest answers would wow this group. Since they offer all jobs internally before going outside the firm, the process was rather quick. After the final applicant was interviewed they made offer immediately.

Interview Questions
    • Request to talk about cross cultural or cross-group leadership examples.   Answer Question

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line in February 2014.

They were pretty relaxed and easy to talk to. They had two people from the team and one person from HR. I had a phone interview first and then they brought me in for a second interview which is where I noticed it was three people interviewing. They asked a couple of analyst type questions (skills) as I already had experience with another question. A lot of the questions on the phone interview were asked again at the in-person interview.

Interview Questions

Location; The staffing agency said they were great about letting people work from home or in a difference location but that turned out to be false

Sales Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Woodlands, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line in December 2013.

The process started with a phone call to confirm my interest in the position, and to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was a few days later, conducted by a corporate (NJ) employee. It lasted about 40 minutes and was fairly standard questions (Why do you want to work here? How do you prioritize tasks/handle a lot of work that has to be done at once? What are your career goals?) It was about a week week before I was offered an on-location interview at The Woodlands, TX office, which was scheduled several days later.

The in-person interview consisted of a short interview with an HR employee, about 20 minutes. This was somewhat like the phone interview (Why do you want to work here? Tell me about your work history. What skills make you a good fit for this role?) Then there was a longer interview with the department supervisor and GM, about 40 minutes. This started with asking what I knew about the company and continued with more in-depth experiential and behavioral questions, including an open-ended prompt to discuss my work history. The interviewers were very personable and friendly.

It was more than two weeks before I was given a tentative offer of employment by the GM, and then several more days before I was given a formal offer by corporate. The next day I received an email with a website to access to initiate the background check. (You should have all info available: work dates, pay rates, graduation dates, etc. for this process) After this was complete, the website prompted me to schedule a drug test at a participating location of my choice. I completed the drug test the same day. I did the background check form and the drug test as soon as I got them (at the beginning of the week), which seems to have sped things up because initially I was quoted a start date of three weeks later, but was able to start much sooner.

There was no personality test or IQ test as related by less recent applicants. They must have done away with this part of the process for the time being.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work outside of your comfort zone.   View Answer
    No negotiation; I really wanted this job and the salary was acceptable. Also, the benefits are excellent.

Talent Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line in December 2013.

HR employee found my resume on Monster and contacted me for a phone interview. The phone interview was about 30 minutes long and went into high level interview questions about my past work experience. The in person meeting went from 8:30am - 6:30pm. I met with all of the team members, had lunch with the entire team, delivered a 45 minute presentation on a specific task, and finally met with the HR Director for over 4 hours (2 hours past the set interview time). She was nice but seemed to want to prove her knowledge in Psychology. At the end of the week, I received a call from the HR employee asking me if I was still interested in the position, what my salary expectations were, and telling me that they have great benefits. He verbally offered me the position and told me that he would put together an offer letter the following day. The next day passed and I emailed him. He then told me that he was busy and would get me an offer letter by Thursday. Thursday passed and I called him on Friday afternoon. He finally called me back to tell me "we call really like you but the HR director has decided to go in a different direction and wanted to continue looking for other candidates". I later saw a new add out for a more junior level position. Overall, probably the most unprofessional experiences that I have ever had interviewing. I am glad that I found out how they treated people earlier than actually being employed in the company.

Interview Questions
    • Rather than giving an overall presentation on my experience and background, I was asked to give a presentation on a plan to develop a competency model.   View Answer

Process Improvement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line in October 2010.

Maersk believes in a 2 prong personality and intelligence testing program (LI and PI). Based on your PI profile (where they generally favor high a/ low c in managers) they interview lists of candidates in 1-1 meetings with experienced HR interviewers. Following the HR interview, you may be flown into the head office where you will face either a 1-1 interview with the hiring manager followed by a 1-1 interview with their manager who can 'grandfather' the hiring decision, or face a panel interview. Generally personality and attitude will trump experience because the Maersk culture is one of its own and does not generally highly value the attitudes that experienced individuals from other companies will bring if they won't fit into the culture. Following a hiring decision you will need to go through a background test and drug test that adds another 2 weeks to the process.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most effective way you have found to accomplish results in a large organization where you have to convince people who do not work for you to go along with your ideas?   Answer Question
    Maersk pay offers will tend to be about 10-20% below market - but the benefits are better than average in almost any US industry. Take the job if you value an international company/ mindset and are willing to trade cash for healthcare benefits, paid time off, etc.

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maersk Line in August 2010.

The HR Director, Hiring Director, Senior Director, and a Project Manager interviewed me in a conversation style interview that lasted two hours. Each person embellished on the previous person's conversation and we went through about five rounds. It was not difficult but was quite specific.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had multiple tasks and not enough time to address them. How did you prioritize them.   Answer Question
    none available

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Maersk Line in December 2014.

Currently working in Syntel as an associate from last Three years and one months. in-depth exposure in derivative's capital market, mutual funds. If there is any hiring with the Maersk line I would be more interested.

Senior Executive Interview

there was a questionnaire givn for 50 marks which had to be solved in 12 minutes. I managed to solve ll the math questions. there was a questionnaire givn for 50 marks which had to be solved in 12 minutes. I managed to solve ll the math questions

ok