Magna Powertrain Interview Questions

2.7

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sterling Heights, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in April 2010.

Detailed interview between 2-3 hours. Candidate is asked to respond with several theoretical situations. What would you do if such and such happened? Need to be very knowledgable in GD&T. Magna is a very progressive company, very cutting edge, outside the box mentality. Magna excels at doing more with less. Have to have cut-throat insticts. Must be able to sink or swim. Generally new hires are thrown into the mix and have to fend for themselves. Management does not 'hold hands" and honeymoon period is very short. This is not a place for the timid. Magna is tough on suppliers and is bold when dealing with customers. Must have a stand your ground mentality. Must be willing to work inordinate hours. Must be able to accomplish difficult tasks quickly and thoroughly. Will learn vast amounts of skills and get familiar with great tools.

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult questions, just very specific job based questions. If you know GD&T, Blue Print Reading, APQP, Problem Solving, you will not have an issue passing the interview.   View Answer
    Brutal, I accepted less money than I wanted, but I was desperate. This was post 2008 in the Metro Detroit area, few suppliers were hiring. I wasa desperate and they knew it.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in May 2011.

Very easy process. As long as your resume' has all the correct buzz words and phrases you should be golden if this is a place that you would consider working. The first year I spent there I worked on only two parts. It was everything I could do to just show up and I was only there for one reason until either I get rid of them or they got rid of me. BORED TO TEARS is the only way to describe this miserable experience.

Interview Questions
    Simple and quick. A demand, a counter, a counter counter and done.

Design Engineer, Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Flint, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in September 2011.

Interviewed with company at college, received a call for an interview the next day after a co-op fair. I was required to briing resume, and we (2 HR Managers, Supervisor, and myself) sat and talked about my resume and the company for about 30 minutes.
    Asked questions such as:
    What will you bring to us?
    Why should we hire you?
    Three words that describe yourself?
    Tell us about your past work experiences?
    Have you ever been a leader? How so?
    They were very easy to talk to, we laughed a bit, asked if I would like the position and what I don't want. I and 4 others were interviewed, and a day later, I received a call advising me to check my email and once I looked, I had received my offer letter! No background check, no lab test, no GPA "requirement", much was based on a honor system; integrity first, which is something most companies don't always have and is appreciated. It provides employee-employer trust and an added sense of security.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my start date but that was it.

Junior Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in June 2009.

Interview included phone interview with inside recruiter and face-to-face interviews with inside recruiter, HR director and employee who previously held position. Interview time was about 2 hours total. Inside recruiter was personable and encouraging, but HR director was offensive and peer interviewer not well-prepared for interview. HR director grilled me on my primary school education and sneered at the fact that I had attended public school (primary and secondary). After this, he spent more time telling me about his own educational background and beliefs than he did reviewing my educational and professional qualifications. Left me with a bad taste of what the corporate culture must be like. HR director has since been laid off from company. Peer review asked frivolous questions and told personal stories about her boss (who I would report to) and, similar to HR, did not want to know much about my skills. All in all, the Magna Powertrain team did a very poor job on interviewing me. I left knowing far more about them rather than the other way around.

Interview Questions
    • Where did you go to elementary school? What is that? A public school?   View Answer

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Magna Powertrain.

Lenghty, Recruiter first, phone interview with manager, in-person with manager then back to meet with Lead Manager ofDept.

Interview Questions
    • Use Chrysler STEP questions, best scenario, worst scenario...where do you want to be???   Answer Question
    They will wittle you down if they can!

Control Algorithm Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in February 2011.

First, a HR will contact with you and ask you what you have done during past years, he will ask question from the resume. In the second round of interview, a technical member will ask detailed technical questions based on your resume and the job requirement. After that, you will be invited on-site

Interview Questions
    • 1. How are you familiar with Matlab/simulink? Give me some examples   View Answer
    • 2. Are you familiar with C code?   Answer Question

Logistics Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tanggu, Tianjin (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tanggu, Tianjin (China)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in February 2012.

Telephone interview - Interview - Offer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Concord, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Magna Powertrain.

Very unorganized and to a great degree, chaotic. Hiring takes place due to urgency / favoritism rather than strategic planning. HR was not present during the whole process other than the last minute to make the new employee sign a bunch of paper, even she had no clue what they were.

Interview Questions
    • Where are you from originally? Are you married? Do you have kids?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in September 2012.

I submitted my resume to their HR during campus job fair, and got a phone interview the week after. I was interview by three engineers, the leader of which is Indian. It was not so good as expected as they insist to use the speaker and it was pretty noisy plus the Indian accent. I wasn't able to understand some of their questions so I made my best guess. Their questions are focused on resume, and they really digs deep within.

Engineering Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Magna Powertrain in January 2012.

Because my mother language is Chinese he test my English skill.Frist,I made a introduction in English.Then he asked me some question about my original jobs.At last ,he asked me some basic mechanical questions

Interview Questions

Worked for Magna Powertrain? Contribute to the Community!