Magna Powertrain and Electronics

Updated Feb 17, 2015
Updated Feb 17, 2015

2.9

Coordinator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics.

Long and detailed. They are trying to get the most experienced and educated. Learn the company and industry prior to interviewing if you do not have relevant experience.

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics.

easy not that bad... did a lot of research and it paid off pretty darn well. Talked with them at the career fair, received a phone call to go in for an interview. When I went there waited until my time to go In and then once I was in the interview I found out it was with three employees and also an intern that was in there to observe.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in August 2013.

Quick, panel style, not high pressure, skills are important but also concerned with fit within the office. Thorough discussion regarding position, environment and expectations. Recruiters are good at follow up.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics.

Lenghty, Recruiter first, phone interview with manager, in-person with manager then back to meet with Lead Manager ofDept.

Interview Questions
    • Use Chrysler STEP questions, best scenario, worst scenario...where do you want to be???   Answer Question
    They will wittle you down if they can!

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muncie, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Muncie, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in November 2012.

Very formal interviewing process, however, motivation for hiring me as an employee was not made. The interviewees were genuinely friendly and showed an interest in hiring me. Didn't know the formal qualifications of the interviewees and may have lesser qualifications than me.

Interview Questions
    I agreed to a reduced salary offer and position title.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in January 2012.

face to face. The HR representative came and ask few questions in the beginning, then the engineering manager showed up, he was nice, he asked all kind of technical questions, interview went fine. I got an offer next day.

low salary

Design Engineer, Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in September 2011.

Interviewed with company at college, received a call for an interview the next day after a co-op fair. I was required to briing resume, and we (2 HR Managers, Supervisor, and myself) sat and talked about my resume and the company for about 30 minutes.
    Asked questions such as:
    What will you bring to us?
    Why should we hire you?
    Three words that describe yourself?
    Tell us about your past work experiences?
    Have you ever been a leader? How so?
    They were very easy to talk to, we laughed a bit, asked if I would like the position and what I don't want. I and 4 others were interviewed, and a day later, I received a call advising me to check my email and once I looked, I had received my offer letter! No background check, no lab test, no GPA "requirement", much was based on a honor system; integrity first, which is something most companies don't always have and is appreciated. It provides employee-employer trust and an added sense of security.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my start date but that was it.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in May 2011.

Very easy process. As long as your resume' has all the correct buzz words and phrases you should be golden if this is a place that you would consider working. The first year I spent there I worked on only two parts. It was everything I could do to just show up and I was only there for one reason until either I get rid of them or they got rid of me. BORED TO TEARS is the only way to describe this miserable experience.

Interview Questions
    Simple and quick. A demand, a counter, a counter counter and done.

Control Algorithm Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in February 2011.

First, a HR will contact with you and ask you what you have done during past years, he will ask question from the resume. In the second round of interview, a technical member will ask detailed technical questions based on your resume and the job requirement. After that, you will be invited on-site

Interview Questions
    • 1. How are you familiar with Matlab/simulink? Give me some examples   View Answer
    • 2. Are you familiar with C code?   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Magna Powertrain and Electronics in April 2010.

Detailed interview between 2-3 hours. Candidate is asked to respond with several theoretical situations. What would you do if such and such happened? Need to be very knowledgable in GD&T. Magna is a very progressive company, very cutting edge, outside the box mentality. Magna excels at doing more with less. Have to have cut-throat insticts. Must be able to sink or swim. Generally new hires are thrown into the mix and have to fend for themselves. Management does not 'hold hands" and honeymoon period is very short. This is not a place for the timid. Magna is tough on suppliers and is bold when dealing with customers. Must have a stand your ground mentality. Must be willing to work inordinate hours. Must be able to accomplish difficult tasks quickly and thoroughly. Will learn vast amounts of skills and get familiar with great tools.

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult questions, just very specific job based questions. If you know GD&T, Blue Print Reading, APQP, Problem Solving, you will not have an issue passing the interview.   View Answer
    Brutal, I accepted less money than I wanted, but I was desperate. This was post 2008 in the Metro Detroit area, few suppliers were hiring. I wasa desperate and they knew it.