Mail.ru Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2015

2.6

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg (Russia)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mail.ru (Saint Petersburg (Russia)) in April 2015.

Interview

Went through the first interview round and ended up with the reject (April 2015).

HR from recruiting company reached me out in LinkedIn and proposed to apply for two "hot" positions which has to be closed ASAP. Even though I was in passive search, I have kicked in and HR conducted an interview (a week later, due to my request).

The office was a quite pleasant place and HR seems to be a knowledgeable person, able to discuss technical questions.

The interview was arranged on 18.30 p.m. and consisted of
    * initial chit chat with HR about my interests and overall awareness of company/positions
    * test (pick a right answer / propose your own) which I passed without much struggle and, finally,
    * programming of two trivial and well known algorithmic tasks.

For a later assignment I had to use notepad or some other non-IDE editor, without option to compile my code. I did quick, yet what I thought to be good enough version, with enumeration of probable issues (e.g. if we have numbers larger than Long.MaxValue, we'll be better of using BigIntegers instead of Longs). HR was in a hurry, so she asked me to save the code in textfile and assured me that some developer will take a look at it later on. Nevertheless, next morning I got reject from recruiting company without any additional info, even though I explicitly asked for a details.

Interview Questions

• What method(s) class has to implement in order to be stored in TreeMap   Answer Question
    • What will be printed when following code is executed

System.out.println(9/10);

1 Answer

C/C++ Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mail.ru (Moscow (Russia)) in August 2013.

Interview

This was my first employment (right after the university), which most likely affected the process.
    HR contacted me. The interviewing process had multiple steps:

1) preliminary talk in Skype with the HR.
    I was asked to send some of my code for them to see.
    Some organizational questions (particularly transportation to the work site, since I applied to the position in another city). The next day I was invited into their office for an interview.

2) 4-hours-long (!) technical interview in their office - with both HR and team lead present and participating. HR was a specialist (i.e. a programmer, not just HR).
    There were multiple questions about my background, especially the thesis, programming interests, multiple hobby projects I did during my studies.

They showed me a piece of code and asked to explain what it is doing.

3) At the end of a technical interview they asked me to write a test program at home (to further evaluate my programming skills): a HTTP client in C, using only libc. They also sent me a letter with attached template "assess your skills in the following: [list of skills], between 1 and 5 each", so that I fill it and send it back to them. Personally I think I wrote a very nice program here.

4) After several days I was invited to the second interview in their office. It was also 4-hours-long, the same HR and team lead. We discussed the code I wrote. They also showed me some questions like "is this code wrong or not". After that there was a pretty annoying philosophical talk about whether it is possible to write code without bugs, etc. Some questions about hobbies etc. More discussion of my thesis. Then they called another team lead, which came and very briefly (<5 minutes) asked me few formal questions about the same things we already discussed before (thesis, programming interests, hobby projects etc.).

Both interviews were pretty tough and exhausting, but interesting.

After the second interview, when team leads left, the HR told me that he never saw a team lead (the first one) so impressed before, and said that the results will be known next week.
    However, the next week I got an e-mail that they wouldn't make an offer.

Theoretically I could say the experience was positive, if only it wasn't so ridiculously long for a rejection as the result.

Interview Questions

• How can we (or you) be sure that you won't make many bugs?   Answer Question

Junior Perl Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Mail.ru (Moscow (Russia)) in February 2012.

Interview

2 interviews - one with hr by phone, 1 with hr and tech lead in office. some questions like "how you can read a big data file", explain the complexity, some questions about php language. I got last interview on Friday, I had an offer on Monday

Interview Questions

• how you can read a big data file and explain the complexity   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mail.ru (Moscow (Russia)) in September 2011.

Interview

1 on-site interview. People are tired of the old project. The office was stuffy.

Interview Questions

• How would you like to work on old legacy code base?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not negotiable.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Moscow (Russia)

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Mail.ru (Moscow (Russia)) in September 2009.

Interview

Got interviewed for a software developer position. The interview started with HR, who asked some background and motivation questions. This part was followed by an IQ test. After that I had a skills test (programming, algorithms, unix), with results discussed immediately at an interview with technical stuff.

Second interview was with company top management and included discussion of my background and motivation, and negotiations as well.

Interview Questions

• Find a loop in a linked list.   1 Answer