Main Street Hub Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

Interview

Applied online.
    Received email a day or two later with a work assignment to send back within 48 hours.
    Asked to come in to interview with team managers.
    Asked to come in to interview with VP of Department and the CEO (the latter practice is outdated given the growth of the company since my interview).
    Reference check.
    Offer.

A very straight forward process for this line of work. Most interviews are not one on one, expect to meet with multiple people at a time. Questions are designed to catch you off guard creatively so they can see how witty and clever you are, two important traits for this job. If some of the questions seem ridiculous to you, it might not be the right job for you. This is a buttoned down, spunky industry.

Do NOT wear old world interview clothes like suits. You'll look ridiculous walking into the office in a suit.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub in April 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview, I was then asked to fill out a worksheet on how I would respond to customer inquiries, then I had an in person interview with three managers. I dedicated a lot of time and effort during the interview process, however, once I left their office they did not reach out to me again. I thought it was unprofessional that they did not at least follow up.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX).

Interview

The overall process started with meeting various members of the team and learning more about the company, the technology stack, and future strategy and direction. I found everyone to be incredibly nice and generous with their time. My first impression was that everyone seemed incredibly intelligent and driven and that culture is highly important to everyone there. For the interview, I met with various members of the engineering team. They asked challenging questions that focused on prior experience, problem solving, algorithms, and coding skills. Overall, it was challenging while still being friendly and informative.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a system to solve a particular problem?   Answer Question
    • Implement an algorithm that solves a particular problem and analyze runtime characteristics.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX).

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, a few emails back and forth, and then an in-house interview. The recruiter was great - so nice and easy to talk to. She was very knowledgeable and answered all of the questions I asked her. The actual face to face interviews I had were extremely awkward. The management seemed very pretentious, and while they are salespeople, they did not try to sell the job to me at all. They were not enthusiastic or friendly. In fact, one of the managers I interviewed with was cold and completely stand off-ish. It just was not a pleasant experience. I actually felt like I wanted to run out of the door after about five minutes. I tried to make it work, but I'm fairly certain there was a mutual dislike.

Interview Questions

• What is your past experience with quota-driven metrics?   Answer Question

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Main Street Hub.

Interview

Like other posters said, it's a process with a lot of steps. I applied online and then a week or so later received the work assignment, which wasn't bad. After submitting that, I had a Skype interview with a recruiter, and following that, I was asked to come in for two sets of in-person interviews: a pair of social media community manager team leads, and a pair of current social media community managers. Each interview took about a half hour. It seemed there was some scheduling conflict, because the first pair had to rush out of my interview to go to a meeting, which meant no opportunity for question asking at the end.

Both interviews were pretty standard, although they were peppered with some "fun" questions that, to be honest, seem considerably less fun when they are being read off of a sheet of paper. There's something to be said for interviews that have an air of sincerity and veer more on the side of a true conversation, but I think any chance for that tends to go out the window once interviewers have a long list of questions printed on the paper in front of them. Anyway, interviewers themselves were engaging, and the second pair was great about answering questions.

Following that, the recruiter came back in to answer any extra questions, as well as discuss benefits and give a tour of the office. I personally thought that the salary was pretty OK considering the work, and the immediate benefits are awesome. The office is cool in that it fits the stereotype of a start-up's office perfectly. It's great if you're into that kind of thing. I can't say that I am. They seem to employ a very specific sort of employee, which I am not, but I can see how a lot of people would love working there.

Regardless, it was a fine experience, and I think I interviewed well. Everyone was nice and open to answer questions, but I personally didn't care for the office environment. I wasn't offered a job (which, given other reviewers' experiences, apparently no one is, haha), but I also agree with them that I wasn't the right fit. It does feel kind of frustrating to go through such a tedious hiring process, but I guess it's a good learning experience.

Interview Questions

• Why would I want to sit next to you?
      If you could create any emoji, what would it be?

Answer Question

Communications Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Main Street Hub.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by Comms. Manager about a month later to set up a phone interview. I immediately responded and didn't get an email back until I followed up. Typical phone interview about the company/position and my qualifications. At the end of the 30 minute call I was told to submit a writing sample by the end of the next business day and I'd hear back either way within a week. After not hearing back I followed up and still did not hear back.

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Main Street Hub (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Got an e-mail from the recruiter and was asked to fill out a 9 page project assignment. Such as answering Twitter responses, making up a story about a picture, responding to reviews on Yelp pretending to be the owner, etc etc. Recruiter was quick to respond to my e-mail after I submitted my NINE page assignment. Within 2 (two) days I got an e-mail back saying The position wasn't suitable for me.

Interview Questions

• Q: Within the 9 page assignment 1 page was answering Twitter, Yelp, negative / positive responses   Answer Question

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

Interview

After submitting my application, I was contacted personally by the hiring manager informing me that I would be moving on in the process. The second step in the process is a work-product assignment - basically they had me simulate some of the responsibilities I would have working at MSH. The assignment consisted of 5 sections: Responding to customer reviews, creating tweets for customers, responding to random tweets on behalf of customers, creating captions based off of provided images, and creating a haiku.

Once I completed the assignment, the hiring manager responded letting me know he reviewed my document and that I would not be moving forward with the hiring process. Although I did not move forward, I felt that overall this was a positive experience and a unique interview process that allowed me to get a better understanding of what to expect in future interviews.

Interview Questions

• Write one tweet for a spa. It must include a question that you think will encourage engagement.   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty standard. I applied online and was contacted. Initial phone interview with standard questions asking about my experience and the position. One question they asked was why a small business owner should be on Yelp. I went in for two follow up, in-person interviews. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and left with a good feeling about the interviews. However, after the final interview I knew I did not want the position because of the lower salary than I currently make, unpaid parking, and the position itself is not what I am looking for. Some questions they asked - What is the biggest misconception people have about you? What is your spirit animal? What will you current employer miss most about you? What would they say you need to improve on? Is the customer always right?

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through themuse.com and was later contacted by HR for a phone interview. I was asked basic questions about my background. I came into the office a week later and met with two Sales Managers and the Director of Sales. I was there for about an hour and a half.