Main Street Hub

Main Street Hub Interview Questions

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

The hiring process was pretty standard. I applied online and was contacted. Initial phone interview with standard questions asking about my experience and the position. One question they asked was why a small business owner should be on Yelp. I went in for two follow up, in-person interviews. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and left with a good feeling about the interviews. However, after the final interview I knew I did not want the position because of the lower salary than I currently make, unpaid parking, and the position itself is not what I am looking for. Some questions they asked - What is the biggest misconception people have about you? What is your spirit animal? What will you current employer miss most about you? What would they say you need to improve on? Is the customer always right?

Inside Sales Representative Interview

The interview was very quick. I talked with one person for about 15 minutes and they had me ask most of the questions, so come prepared. The staff that interacted with me were nice and helpful.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

I applied with a recruiter. The phone interview with the recruiter took about twenty minutes long. I then went into The Main Street Hub office where I interviewed with two upper management employees. The question asked were basic. The management team is very nice and they try to get a complete understanding of your experience. If you don't have at least 2-3 years of experience I wouldn't even bother applying. Some of the people were very rude as well as music is being played so loud that you can't hear yourself think. If i had to give any recommendations I would say only apply to this company as a last resort.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part about the interview is when they ask you to do sales pitch to them. They give you a piece of paper and expect you to memorize all of their details and pitch their products to upper management. If you hesitate or do one thing wrong they won't even give you a chance.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

call with recruiter - very simple basic questions about yourself and the role, in person interviews with managers, team lead, and director, then they finally make you read the full intro of the script

no negotiation

Customer Success Team Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

Long story short: applied, heard back from VP of Customer Success within 48 hours, scheduled phone interview. Phone screen went well and was followed by a writing/work assignment, which led to an in-person interview with VP and managers at HQ, and then a second in-person interview with VP and another manager at HQ. Everyone seemed very friendly and professional. Naturally, I followed up the second interview next-day with thanks, etc., but heard nothing back. I then followed up a week and a half later with no response again.

I certainly don't mind being rejected as an applicant if things aren't a good fit, but I did find it insulting and unprofessional to not receive the courtesy of a response after completing three separate interviews and a written work assignment.

Social Media Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Main Street Hub in January 2015.

My experience was similar to the many other people who have posted about this position. Like just about everyone else, I too did not get an offer. I applied in mid December 2014. I didn't hear anything for one month, till mid January 2015. First, they sent a work-product assignment. I got it on a Wednesday and was given till the following Monday morning to complete it. The assignment is basically examples of what you will be doing in the position, including writing Yelp responses to both positive and negative Yelp reviews, sending tweets from business to promote products or engage followers, captioning a photo for different types of businesses, tweeting at individuals in your area from a business, and (I guess just for fun?) writing a haiku. The assignment was nothing too difficult if you know anything about social media and how to write professional responses.

A couple days after I turned in the assignment, I was asked to participate in a Skype interview. The Skype interview is pretty basic. It lasted 30 minutes. Most of the questions the recruiter asked were all things I'd anticipated based on other reviews from Glassdoor users. Stuff like:
    Why this company?
    Why this position?
    How would you describe success?
    What's your favorite local business?
    Is there anything not in your resume that you want us to know about you?
    What's people's biggest misconception about you?
    What's something a former manager would say you excel at/need to improve on?

A day or so after the Skype interview, I was invited to come in for an in-person interview. Here's how it worked. First, I interviewed with 2 Social Media Community Manager Team Leads. Each with their own set of questions. After that round, I interviewed with 2 Social Media Community Managers with a different set of questions. After that round, the recruiter came in and told me what an offer would like like. He then gave me a tour of the office, which looked really cool. They're on the 12th floor in downtown Austin. They have ping pong, beer on tap, and lots of snacks. Your typical cool, tech start-up vibe. After the tour, I was told the next step was for the recruiter to speak to the hiring team, then he'd run everything by his boss and let me know if there would be another interview. The whole process was about an hour and a half.

Two days later, I was notified that while my experience was compelling, when looking at my entire application they felt this position was not the best fit for me. I will say, they were probably right. I have a varied background with tons of relevant experience, but am probably overqualified. What you may be interested to know is at the end of my interview the recruiter told me that the starting salary was $31,000. I asked him if that was negotiable. He said no, and that as a start-up their budget is strict and tight with no wiggle room. That salary is insanely low to me and they could probably tell by my background. If you're looking for more money, don't bother. But money isn't everything. It looks like a cool place to work with a great culture and they mentioned lots of opportunities for growth and advancement.

I will say I have done a lot of hiring and I know I nailed all my interviews with them. I felt like I had great rapport and connections with everyone I talked to. I was comfortable, we were all laughing. I gave great answers. And they still didn't give me an offer. Since everyone posting on here hasn't gotten an offer, I wasn't totally shocked, even though I felt like things were going great. So, if you think you are killing it with them, 1. Don't get your hopes up and 2. Don't be discouraged if you don't get an offer, because clearly they have rejected many qualified candidates. I don't know what they are looking for, but they sure are picky.

Interview Questions
    • Just about all the interview questions are covered in other reviews, but I'll add ones they asked me that I don't recall seeing in other reviews. (I'll also probably repeat some that are in other reviews as they pop in my head).

How would you respond to a Yelp review if someone accused one of our clients of being racist?
      Is the customer always right? (I said no, and referenced an article I had read about a CEO of an airline who preached why "customer is always right" is bad for business)
      Okay, but is OUR customer always right? (I think they were giving me a chance to change my answer.)
      What's your favorite local business?
      Do you follow that business's social media?
      Why this company?
      Why this position?
      How would you rank your writing on a scale of 1 to 5?
      What's your favorite thing about social media?
      Thinking of a past manager, what is a quality that you really liked?
      Thinking of a past manager, what is a quality that you didn't like?
      Tell me about a time you were devastated at work.
      Why would I want to sit next to you? (Because apparently they like to occasionally change their seating chart, which I thought seems like a cool practice).
      Do you prefer to work on a team or alone?
      If you were going to start a local business, what would it be?
      What have former managers/coworkers told you is your greatest strength?
      What have former managers/coworkers told you that you need to work on?
      Tell me about a time you lifted up a co-worker.
      Tell me a joke. (I Googled jokes in anticipation of this question, and pretty much all jokes are stupid and not really funny. Instead, I told them a personal funny anecdote from my life, so don't assume you have to tell them like a dumb knock-knock joke or something. I think the point is to tell them something funny and hopefully get them to laugh).
      What's your spirit animal?

Overall, all the people I interviewed with were young and chill. The recruiter even told me the environment is casual, so he told me not to worry about dressing up. In case you are wondering, because I know I was, all the questions are along the lines of what is listed above. If you are anticipating really complex questions about "which social media blogs do you read?" or things about marketing, analytics, social media trends, successful social media strategies, etc, etc, don't sweat it. They don't ask anything like that. (At least not as far as I got in the hiring process).

Good luck!

Answer Question

Marketing Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Main Street Hub in January 2015.

A recruiter contacted me via telephone and interviewed me. We discussed MSH, and he set me up for an interview.

I went in for an interview and met with two Team Leads. We had a productive conversation, and I was given an opportunity to sit with someone in the role I was applying for. After listening to this person work for about 30 minutes, I spoke with one of the team leads and he said I'd be hearing from them either way.

Interview Questions
    • One of the things I appreciated as a sales professional is that we didn't have the usual inane interview questions/banter.

Example of said inanity: Tell me about your biggest strength/weakness or Sell me this pen.

The Team Leads engaged me in conversation, and I was able to speak with them and find out about the company and the culture. This is far more productive, because the interview process was about 20 minutes.

It's a sales position. Not saving the manatees.

Answer Question
    No negotiation. The commission program is pretty good, fair and is clear. I've found that if you need a complex algebraic equation to understand the commission, the company is usually ripping you off.

Thankfully, Main Street Hub offers a straightforward program, designed to attract, motivate, and retain top sales talent, while exposing pretenders.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Main Street Hub.

Ok...I have to leave a review after reading some of these other ones. I interviewed for these guys back in 2012. At the time I had 12 years of Outside/Inside sales experience and was relocating to Austin so I was excited to see what this company had to offer as it sounded pretty cool. Dude. No. That is unless you're 20-25 and ready to cold call until the cows come home. Which is fine....don't get me wrong but seriously. This is "Churn and Burn" hell. When I came in, music was blaring, TV's were on (sports..no sound), and people's STATS (who made the most calls, who made the most $ in deals, etc...) were up for everyone to see on two TV monitors above the sales floor no doubt to shame the lowest ranking sales rep and to send some false sense of motivation to the reps.) First, how the hell can you close a deal, let alone concentrate, with all that going on?? The energy was above and beyond. And not in a good way. Yeah, yeah...I hear you've got a keg and people are talking about sports and what they did last night but c'mon. This was nuts. Anyway, I went along with it and interviewed and sat on the phones for my "cold call" test for 20 mins or so. It was interesting to say the least. People getting calls out of nowhere being told that you're looking at their Yelp reviews and I can help them manage all of that content for them....lots of "Whaaa...??? Who are you?" I could see where it would be cool once you got the pitch down but its a rough ride up until that point and even then, that's not the kind of consultative sale I was looking for. I misjudged. My bad but I needed a job and was willing to take a look. Again....if you're young and interested in making some buddies, cold calling, cold calling, cold calling....oh, did I say cold calling?....and being part of an "in your face" extremely competitive sales environment, then this is the place for you! There is a reason why this place is always looking for Inside Sales Reps. It's a tough gig and not for everyone. BUT....it could be fun and a good place to learn your chops if you don't haven any and want to learn. Pay was low but then again I was relocating from the Bay Area so I was used to larger Bases.

Interview Questions
    • What song would you add to our company playlist? Blah, blah, your Spiritual Animal? How do you deal with rejection?   View Answer

The sales floor was extremely loud and to me, it was a classic "Churn and Burn." (AKA - cold call daily for 7hrs strait, be compared to you colleagues and drilled with metrics until you puke and then be given a beer to make you forget that you just cold called for 35 hrs that week and were raked over the coals for not beating your last weeks numbers.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Main Street Hub.

Intense, but fun interview process. It seemed like a great environment and place to work. The team seemed very connected and motivated. Would have loved the opportunity to work for this company. Great benefits and generous starter salary.

Interview Questions
    • Seemed dissuaded by my lack of formal cold calling experience, wish they would have been a little more open minded about other forms of sales experience that could have been an asset to the job.   Answer Question

Local Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Main Street Hub.

Very organized, they were friendly and made me feel very welcome and great description on the duties. There were no surprises. I just feel like they should have taken care of parking. I was interviewed by 2 people they gave me a great description and got me excited. This is the lowest salary I have ever had. I work very hard and I hope i can make the money I need to to stay bc this is a great place. I am just very worried about the money.

No room to negotiate regardless of experience