Majestic Wine Trainee Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Majestic Wine

Trainee Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Majestic Wine.

Interview

2 Interviews, First with HR, Second with Regional Manager. Explain why you are interested in the company, and that you understand how the company works. Make you aware of potential 'negative' aspects of working for the company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Majestic Wine

Trainee Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Majestic Wine.

Interview

Online application. Three weeks later interview at local store with store manager. Followed by interview at store 1 hour away with regional manager. First interview was quite informal. Second was more formal however both were fairly easy. Just be confident and remember they are not looking for wine knowledge but willingness to learn and salesmanship.

Interview Questions

• Who are majestics biggest competitors?   1 Answer

Trainee Manager Interview

Interview

Involved filling out an online application form. This included writing mostly about my driving experience, but then also involved answering a few questions. then 2 interviews followed, one at a local store with a store manager, which felt fairly informal, and one at Head Office with a regional manager, which was in a much more formal setting.

Interview Questions

• - Try and sell a wine. They show you 3 bottles and let you look at them all and then ask you to pick one and sell it the best that you can.   1 Answer

Trainee Manager Interview

Interview

First Interview- Easy few questions really polite lasted about an hour.

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Majestic Wine (London, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

process took 2 weeks. 2 interviews at head office with shop manager and regional manager.
    i am very worried when i read the reviews as it does not tally with what i was told at the interviews. i was told there would be trips abroad for trainees (to Champagne was a trip for all trainees) and also told that one weekend a month was written in stone. if these are all lies then its something that management need to address. at the moment i think i may pass on the job offer. some of the reviews are quite shocking and there is a suggestion of false "good" reviews to make things look better. staff left alone, driving all day, difficult to get holidays, the list goes on. sounds like the companys staff are in turmoil.

Interview Questions

• what do you tell a customer who complains about the 6 bottle minimum   1 Answer

Negotiation

nil

Trainee Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Majestic Wine in November 2013.

Interview

Interview process took around 2-3 weeks. First interview was at head office followed by an interview at a store in my region. Subsequently offered a job the day after.
    Declined the offer for various reason. Terrible i know but the reviews i had read was a massive part of that decision. To name a few:
    - long hours with no overtime pay (particularly over xmas)
    - Poor pay considering hours worked
    - Lots of driving

I just get the impression that during recession etc majestic could get away with offering such lousy pay, hours etc...however now things are looking up a little, they may come a little unstuck.
    Don't get me wrong i think the job has a lot of potential...but the benefits seem to be minimal. In my current work, which is far from 'graduate', or atleast doesnt claim to be, if i was working 45 hours a week i would be on 20k+ a year. And when you consider that you could do my job now with no GCSE's, paying less for a 'graduate' job is laughable. Where is the incentive to work for Majestic, aside from WSET and an average staff discount? I would argue, not a lot.

Interview Questions

• Sell a bottle of wine during the first interview   1 Answer

Trainee Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Majestic Wine.

Interview

2 interviews - one at head office
    pretty easy

Interview Questions

• none that I thought were difficult. pretty easy if you have prepared   Answer Question

Negotiation

Limited negotiation on start of contract date

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Majestic Wine (Watford, East of England, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Starts with a online application. Read a piece by the telegraph online in which head recruiter Tom Lawrence talks about the skills and answers required. From there you will be asked to go to a 1 to 1 interview generally at head office. This a very informal interview were they will go over your application, ask about your education and any other aspects you may have mentioned. Sell these experiences and explain how they have developed you and set you up for this role. You will get a few wine related questions i.e sell me one of these wines, do you like wine, when did you get into etc. nothing to detailed although if they ask your favourite talks about modern trends. If your successful at this stage then you will have another 1 to 1 interview but this time closer to home with your potential area manager. This will be more formal but the questions will be relatively the same but more about the company, why majestic, competitors, what sets majestic apart etc.

Interview Questions

• you have not continued with a job related to your university course, why is this?   1 Answer

Negotiation

when i start, how quick i progress.

Trainee Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Majestic Wine.

Interview

Received email to invite me to first interview in the region I applied.
    I thought it went well. Got invited for a final interview the day after via email and text notification.
    Had the final interview at head office in Watford the week after
    Received job offer the day after

Interview Questions

• why does someone with the varied experience and extracurricular activities you have want to work in wine and retail?   Answer Question

never put all your eggs in one basket

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangor, Isle of Anglesey, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Majestic Wine (Bangor, Isle of Anglesey, Wales (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

Very fast response, first interview with store manager and second with regional manager. Farily easy interviews, seemed designed to rush you into the job.

Interview Questions

• Role play scenario involving bottle of wine, can be difficult if you don't recognise the wine.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fixed contract, no negotiation.