Majestic Wine Trainee Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

9 interviews

2.3

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Trainee Manager Interview

First Interview- Easy few questions really polite lasted about an hour.

Other Interview Reviews for Majestic Wine

Trainee Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Majestic Wine in November 2013.

Interview process took around 2-3 weeks. First interview was at head office followed by an interview at a store in my region. Subsequently offered a job the day after.
    Declined the offer for various reason. Terrible i know but the reviews i had read was a massive part of that decision. To name a few:
    - long hours with no overtime pay (particularly over xmas)
    - Poor pay considering hours worked
    - Lots of driving

I just get the impression that during recession etc majestic could get away with offering such lousy pay, hours etc...however now things are looking up a little, they may come a little unstuck.
    Don't get me wrong i think the job has a lot of potential...but the benefits seem to be minimal. In my current work, which is far from 'graduate', or atleast doesnt claim to be, if i was working 45 hours a week i would be on 20k+ a year. And when you consider that you could do my job now with no GCSE's, paying less for a 'graduate' job is laughable. Where is the incentive to work for Majestic, aside from WSET and an average staff discount? I would argue, not a lot.

Interview Questions
    • Sell a bottle of wine during the first interview   View Answer

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

process took 2 weeks. 2 interviews at head office with shop manager and regional manager.
    i am very worried when i read the reviews as it does not tally with what i was told at the interviews. i was told there would be trips abroad for trainees (to Champagne was a trip for all trainees) and also told that one weekend a month was written in stone. if these are all lies then its something that management need to address. at the moment i think i may pass on the job offer. some of the reviews are quite shocking and there is a suggestion of false "good" reviews to make things look better. staff left alone, driving all day, difficult to get holidays, the list goes on. sounds like the companys staff are in turmoil.

Interview Questions
    • what do you tell a customer who complains about the 6 bottle minimum   View Answer
    nil

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangor, Isle of Anglesey, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangor, Isle of Anglesey, Wales (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Majestic Wine in June 2013.

Very fast response, first interview with store manager and second with regional manager. Farily easy interviews, seemed designed to rush you into the job.

Interview Questions
    • Role play scenario involving bottle of wine, can be difficult if you don't recognise the wine.   View Answer
    Fixed contract, no negotiation.

Trainee Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Majestic Wine.

2 interviews - one at head office
    pretty easy

Interview Questions
    • none that I thought were difficult. pretty easy if you have prepared   Answer Question
    Limited negotiation on start of contract date

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watford, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Majestic Wine in August 2013.

Starts with a online application. Read a piece by the telegraph online in which head recruiter Tom Lawrence talks about the skills and answers required. From there you will be asked to go to a 1 to 1 interview generally at head office. This a very informal interview were they will go over your application, ask about your education and any other aspects you may have mentioned. Sell these experiences and explain how they have developed you and set you up for this role. You will get a few wine related questions i.e sell me one of these wines, do you like wine, when did you get into etc. nothing to detailed although if they ask your favourite talks about modern trends. If your successful at this stage then you will have another 1 to 1 interview but this time closer to home with your potential area manager. This will be more formal but the questions will be relatively the same but more about the company, why majestic, competitors, what sets majestic apart etc.

Interview Questions
    • you have not continued with a job related to your university course, why is this?   View Answer
    when i start, how quick i progress.

Trainee Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Majestic Wine.

Received email to invite me to first interview in the region I applied.
    I thought it went well. Got invited for a final interview the day after via email and text notification.
    Had the final interview at head office in Watford the week after
    Received job offer the day after

Interview Questions
    • why does someone with the varied experience and extracurricular activities you have want to work in wine and retail?   Answer Question

never put all your eggs in one basket

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Preston, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Preston, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Majestic Wine in April 2012.

Once I filled out the on-line application, which had the usual why this company, your reasons, what you could bring etc I was contacted within a week of submitting. The process consists of 2 1:1 interviews.

The first interview was a 1:1 with a local store manager. It was quite informal, though you should be on your guard and make sure you have good body language such as eye contact, smiling etc, it is a customer service role after all! She seemed to follow a list of structured questions such as why Majestic, what was my favourite wine and did I know anything about wine (they're not expecting you to be a wine buff, but its very important you show an interest in drinking and enthusing others about it). It takes roughly 35-45 minutes, and they tell you it could take up to 5 working days to hear back.

They were impressively prompt however, don't know whether this was because I had my interview just before the bank holiday, but I got an offer of a 2nd interview later the same day!

The second interview was with the regional manager of the region I applied for in one of his stores most local to me, and was slightly more formal. Have to say, I wasn't asked what I was expecting so again be on your guard! Just make sure you have plenty of questions to ask about the company and role and show an interest, he seemed to appreciate that. He also asked where I was currently living, and why I picked there in particular and where my home town was, which was a little strange but probably influenced the store I was offered.

3 days after, I was offered the job at the very store I had my second interview at! I was actually very pleased, because it meant I could keep my flat in Leeds for the time being, and could use my parents' house as a base in Manchester as well.

Interview Questions
    • Pick one of these wines, read the info and then try and sell me it   View Answer
    • Who has a reputation for good customer service on the high street? Can you give me an example of when you received good customer service and how it made you feel?   View Answer
    • What qualities do you feel makes a good manager?   View Answer
    • What qualities do you feel you can bring to the role?   View Answer
    • What is your interest in wine?   View Answer
    I was able to start within a few days of my offer, which they seemed pleased about as the store had a few staff leaving due to promotions

Trainee Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Majestic Wine in July 2010.

The first interview is at Head Office in Watford near London (although some people are interviewed in store if that's more local). It is with a member of the HR dept. Basically they want to know whether you are the type of person who is easy to get along with and will work well in a small, closely knit team. For that reason it's very informal and more of a chat than an interview. If you have any retail experience they may want to talk about it. Also they want to know that you're interested in wine. You don't have to know ANYTHING about it but you should show that you're keen to learn.

The second interview is with one of the regional managers and will take place either at HO or at a more local store. This is slightly more formal and they may ask you about your interest in wine and knowledge of the wine industry. Think about who Majestic's main competitors are etc.

More importantly I would suggest thinking very carefully about whether the job is worth it. I don't recommend it at all.

When I was interviewed the company paid all my travel expenses. I believe that they only pay for travel expenses for 2nd round interviews now.

Interview Questions
    • Who do you think is Majestic's biggest competitor?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Majestic Wine

Worked for Majestic Wine? Contribute to the Community!