MakeMyTrip Interview Questions

Updated May 29, 2015

3.1

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

went to company interview started after 1 hour of what was scheduled.
    1. Had a 30 min written paper. had easy scenarios to answer.
    2. Had face to face after clearing the written exam.

had 20 mins of short interview. looked as if they already had decided not to select me.

Interview Questions

• questions were on selenium rc vs webdriver, how testng annotations work, how rest work, I was not able to answer standard sql join question which every other comany ask otherwise very basic questions anyone can answer. he wanted to ask me on soap but i never worked on soap   Answer Question

Android Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

It was too bad they don't have knowledge how to take interview of a 5+ exp guy,at 5+ exp they will ask you to do some java puzzle programmes...

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Bangalore (India)) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview took place in a hotel for CoreJava/J2EE. 1 written round (algorithms/ problem solving), 2 technical rounds(algorithms/ Java Concepts/ Solution Design) , 1 HR. All the interviewers were cool and gave lot of opportunity to answer. It was almost like a discussion rather than interview. If anything you say does not work the way they think in JDK they will immediately look up the JDK implementation to counter you.(They have lappy handy).

Interview Questions

• Written Round :
      1. 3 theory base Android Questions.
      2. Given array with numbers from 0 to n-1, any number repeating any number of times, print repeated elements in O(n) time and O(1) space.
      3. Print numbers from 1 to 10 using 2 threads in sequential order.
      4. Lengthy problem statement. Design the solution and write the code implementation.(something related to occupancy of computers/ how many computers to be added in the cyber cafe so that number of people leaving the cafe without getting a computer to be minimized)

1st round:
      1. Java conceptual questions on Strings etc.
      2. Production ready code writing for Immutable class, Singleton and designing a web app.
      3. Spring transaction management and other related workings/concepts.
      4. Puzzle
      5. logic based question and the approach/solution (how to reach from point A to B with minimum time/distance covered)

2nd Round :
      1. Reversal of string words and not letters.
      2. Designing a High Level requirement faced by the interviewer in his current position and in his team.(took almost an hour to convince him about my design; lot of why's and why not's, lot of scenario handling)
      3. Writing class diagrams for the solution

1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

Interview

Wengerwatsan scheduled interview process. Got call letters from them only. It took 1 complete day. All rounds were same technical rounds.each round was >=1 hour. They ask to write a lot of programs and check approach and time complexity rather then answer.

Interview Questions

• Round 1 : Technical Writter :
      1. Write a java program to print numbers from 1 to 10 using 2 threads. Thread 1 should print odd and thread 2 should print Even numbers.

2. Write a program to find duplicate elements in an array In O(n) time using O(1) extra step.

3. A Company is having a number is cyber cafe. Many customer visit cyber cafe and number if computers are limited. If customer don't find available computer then he leave. You have given a function with 2 arguments : 1 number of computers, 1 : a string with pairs. 1st occurrence of alphabet indicate start of customer and second occurrence indicate end. Only 1 person can use a computer at a time. Return count of customers who left cafe without using computer so that company can improve process.
      example :
      process(1, ABAB) : should return 1 as only 1 computer is there that is occupied by A when B comes.
      process(2,ABACBCDD) : should return 0 as all customer A,B,C, D are able to use Cafe.
      process(3, ABCDCDEFEFA) : should return 2 as D and F could use computer.

Round 2 : Technical
      1. Internal working of hashmap.
      2. How String work in string pool.
      3. Difference between String str = "abc" and String str = new String("abc")
      4. Some outputs.
      5. Complexity for some codes. He wrote code and asked Complexity.
      6. You are concern about insert order of element in Map. Which Map you will use? I told LinkedHashMap. then He asked why and why we use thi. Why we don't use HashMap? I explained internal working.
      7. why String is immutable? What the need. What do you think, why we need?
      8. What is synchronization. Why we use? what to do if i dont want synchronization for some variables.

Round 3 : Technical
      1. Write a program to reverse a linked list.
      2. Write a program to print mirror image of a tree. I printed partial and swaped left subtree and right subtree. He then asked to print full mirror image. rightmost node of right subtree should be leftmost node of left subtree and so on.
      3. Some Question on Spring Core, Spring Security. Spring MVC. Dependency Injection, Scope of Singleton Object.
      4. Is Spring Singleton object is same as Singleton we create in java.
      5. What are the way to create Singleton. I told eager and lazy. He asked to write Code for Thread Safe Singleton. I wrote Lazy Singleton. We then discussed Synchronization on this.
      6. Internal of Hashmap and Complexity.
      7. What change we should do in custom class if we want to use custom object as key. Hashcode and equals.
      8. What is contract between hashcode and equals.

Round 4 : MR : Technical :(
      1. He asked about 1 of my project.
      2. There are some site tiniurl. If you paste any url on their site they will compress it and give you a short link which you can send in emails or post on twitter or facebook. If use click on that url then it redirect you to original site url. How you will implement in your project. We discussion a lot of approach.
      3. Given a String oriStr aaaaabcbcdefdefdefghgh and a compressed string cstr a4bc3def3gh2 for prev string. Given a function with 2 arguments cstr and index. print char at this index from oriStr.

I told if you have compression algo then you might have decompression algo that should be using reverse engineering. He told ok but I dont want to decompress as i might have billons of alphabets in string. Then I observed cstr and gave solution. He asked to code and it took a lot of time. He gave hint and I was able to write program.

It was final round and He asked to wait outside. Later HR came and asked to leave for the day. ! HR told then we wil contact after 2 day. But I could read his face well. Got rejected here. May be l did program but took more time then expected.

Hope it will help you.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

phonce call from HR asking for compensation interests etc,
    Telephonic call from HR explaining job profile and how it is to be done.
    my manager interviewing on interest and logical reasoning.

Nothing tough as such, but you need to be able to connect with travel industry like experience or should have travelled a bit

Senior Software Engineer/Lead Engineer for V Year Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

Focussed less on java concepts and more on problem solving. If you are attending for tech post you must must study for data structures (sorting algorithms and graph dfs dfs specially as they will be used for problem solving). From tech side just prepare what you have written in cv as anything from that will be asked

Interview Questions

• You have 10 identical jars, each have 10 balls. All the balls are similar looking. But only one jar has balls of 9 grams while rest nine jars have only 10 grams balls. You have one digital electronic weighing machine and you can use this machine only once. How will you identify the 9 gm ball jar.   1 Answer
    • You have an array of size 100. It has numbers from 1 to 100. But one number is repeating , and obviously one number is missing. Find these two numbers   1 Answer
    • You have a binary tree, each node has some data (say price to it). Identify which path of the tree has the maximum sum of price.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Bangalore (India)) in February 2015.

Interview

I found the process so poor that I am here to add a review for the first time during my entire career. So its more about interviewer Mr. Vikas. First round of MakeMyTrip was about coding where I felt like wasting an hour because he din't even look at what I had written. During interview he asked me to write a code to reverse linked list. Meanwhile he started interviewing another guy also which was quite disturbing to me. Then he asked me whether its done and without looking into the code or asking for any logic he asked me to write another code and went outside to chit chat with his friends which was also weird. They were making lot of noise and it didn't look like an interview place. It seemed like they were here just to waste their as well as our time. Post this he asked me to leave.
    So my only question to MakeMyTrip recruitment team is that you could keep those 2 questions only which were required to clear the interview. There was no need of those 3 questions which wasted an hour of mine and you didn't even look at.
    1 unique thing I noticed about him was that he kept asking questions to everyone in Hindi. Man, seriously, is this the culture of MakeMyTrip?

I felt these guys need to be trained properly before sending here to interview candidates. And if you guys were really running short of time, there are other ways also to improve it. like reducing number of candidates or increasing number of panels.

And at last, the funniest part was when he told me, "Its OK, sometimes your luck does not favor you!"

Interview Questions

• Written :
      1. Implement a cache of Generic Type which can contain key and value(Both of Generic type). Write methods to get, add and delete elements from cache. If an element is not accessed for more than 10 mins, remove it from the cache.
      2. Reverse words of a string without using extra space. Ex. "MMT is great company" should become "company great is MMT".
      3. Implement question 2 using recursion.
      4. You have a sorted array of numbers, e.g. 1,1,1,1,1...,4,4,4,4,4,4....,8,8,8,8,8,8.... You have to return list of unique digits if total number unique digits is maximum 1000 and total number is minimum 1 Billion.

Interview:
      1. He was interviewing someone else when I entered the room and I could not figure out whom was he asking me or that other guy. So he basically asked 1-2 simple collection problems for which he wanted the other guy to code.
      2. Code to reverse a linked list.
      3. Find the count of words in a document and sort them by count.

Online Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at MakeMyTrip.

Interview

Resume screening-online test-Comparison of MMT with other travelling online players-3 rounds of interview including one round with HR, one round with Manager and one Round is general which is taken by an employee/ manager there to know every thing about you which you mention in your CV

Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MakeMyTrip.

Interview

No relevant questions asked. They were asking OOPS definition to a development manager which we generally ask in a fresher interview. I expected a discussion around my project experience or a discussion about the design and architecture of the systems. There was no single question asked on performance, scalability, design of any web application or web site.

Interview Questions

• Asking definitions about OOPS and syntax. For ex - What is the syntax of invoking garbage collector. I have given the answer but actually this was unexpected to ask from a development manager.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MakeMyTrip (Pune (India)) in November 2014.

Interview

First two online tests, one being objective on programming concepts and next being a coding challenge. Further Shortlisted candidates were invited for an Interview Drive at Pune.

Experience- Highly unprofessional. At first they never mention in mail what all documents to bring along while attending. Next they charged 40 rs for 4 page resume print, since it was done by the Hotel where they were conducting this drive today i.e 2nd Nov 2014. ( I mean i never even imagined such thing at any interview process for any company). Next they gave us "WAITER SLIPS" literally to write down 4 problems and then solve them. Those waiter slips were hardly equal to a Samsung Smartphone, also they told us questions verbally without mentioning detail. Reason being they had very few print outs of questions and since hotel was charging them and candidates for ANY print out, they preferred to speak verbally. ( WOW, imagine if you are asked to write a code to create hashSet, without mentioning any detail or conditions).

Totally frustrated and disappointed i came out of the interview process, because if they can not treat future possible employees well ont the day of interview itself, then can't hope anything worth after getting employed. MMT has a great name, i am a loyal CUSTOMER of it, have travelled so many places using it's packages including my honeymoon trip, But here while recruiting it was highly unprofessional. I just want that Guys be aware before choosing MMT as your employer.
    HR name was Gaurav something.

Interview Questions

• To write down problems and their solutions on "waiter slips" at Hotel premised( Interview process venue).
      To charge 40 rs for print outs of resume. ( or 10 rs per page)

Answer Question

There must be an option of telling "Declined interview process in between"