Makerbot Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

2.7

Design Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

I had a phone interview regarding a potential design position. The questions were vague and more on how I felt about management more so than specific questions on experience.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever managed someone before. Would I be comfortable with acting as a mentor.   1 Answer

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied via indeed and was contacted by hr fairly quickly. We scheduled an on-site interview. I was to meet with the vp of sales. When I arrived, I had to wait a bit, which allowed me to observe the office. It was a very open space. People were having meetings on the sofas out in the open. There were toys displayed on the shelf behind the receptionist, which gave it a fun vibe I suppose. The interview took place on those sofas as well, which were very close to the employees there, and that made me feel uncomfortable. The interview was very short. He mostly focused on who I thought their target audience were, and if I had a certain budget, what would I do with it. The whole thing just felt very rushed.

Vice President of Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Was a very disjointed process. Never felt very warm - and it was very much a sausage factory, i.e. - they never got to know you. You were led from room to room meeting people. This was pre-acquisition so perhaps they were in between things - but it just felt like a horrible process and not a place I'd want to work at. Their CEO literally dropped in late during my presentation and was completely unfriendly. Not someone I got a good vibe from.

Interview Questions

• Very specific questions regarding selling hardware and the challenges that entails. So this may not be difficult for folks from that background, but for me, was difficult.   Answer Question

Retail Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

Makerbot gave me quite the run around during the interview process. First they offered me a phone interview in which they asked about my work experience and how much knowledge I had about the 3D printing industry. The phone interview took less than 30 minutes and was fairly painless. They invited me to come into their office to speak with a few members of the training team. The in-person interview was almost all questions about how much I knew about 3D printing. They pretty much quizzed me. Once that was over I got an e-mail that same day asking me to do a 15 minute presentation for the team on the basics of 3D printing. I did A LOT of research on Makerbot products, Thingiverse, 3D rendering software, etc. I presented to a room of about 10-15 people and had to answer some of their questions afterwards. An HR person walked me out of the room she told me I did a great job and that she was impressed with my knowledge in 3D printing and how well I presented. At that point I thought I had the job for sure. I was asked to wait in their lobby while HR and the team deliberated. They then asked if I could come back to interview 1:1 with their director of HR because she was on lunch. At that point I was a little annoyed, I didn't want to commute back to Makerbot HQ for a 3rd time. I asked if I could just wait for her to come back. They allowed it. An hour later I met with the HR director. She asked me very basic interview questions like "What are your strengths?". After I had met with her, a member of the training team took me aside and said the company was making some changes internally and that the Retail Trainer job might not be a thing after the changes. She said they'd keep in touch and let me know if they still want to keep the Retail Trainer role--meaning...they'll let me know if the job will still exist for me...it's been over 3 months since then and I haven't heard anything since. Upon looking at their Careers page I see that the position is no longer there. So either they kept the role but hired someone else or the role was phased out completely. Either way interviewing with them was a total waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your training method. How would you teach a class on 3D printing?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

The interview process consisted of preliminary phone interview. Subsequently an in person interview with several managers. The process was very discombobulated and poorly scheduled. I received another call where the would be manager kept asking me why I should be hired. It felt that the interview was a trial for the future since the role was then filled internally. I had to wait for a response while having a pending offer from another firm. I never received a reply after informing of the competing offer. For candidates that spend their time interviewing professional courtesy dictates that at least you follow up. Even Goldman Sachs will follows up regardless of outcome.

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

It was straightforward. They asked about my experience with QA. They asked about my experience with programming. They did a little testing of my programming skills in Python on a piece of papers. They presented a situation where I have to come up with black box and white box testing.

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot.

Interview

It was a pretty decent interview process.Applied because my professor advised me too.Out of all my friends that applied I was the only person that got a phone interview.After my phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview.My interview was in the open office which had other employees having meetings as I was being interviewed.I absolutely loved the office atmosphere though and I wanted nothing more but to work then so I was pretty crushed when I didn't get the job.Looking back now,I realized it wasn't for me and I'm glad I got an internship better suited for me.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing particularly difficult.I was interviewed on phone and on-site be people in the finance department so I was a bit at ease with them   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I've applied through the website. After some I've received an email scheduling the phone interview. After two weeks I've received e-mail notification that they still consider my application and after that I haven't heard from them any update.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Java and C.   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Makerbot (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Like all Makerbot positions, you had to apply online. Application is quick, maybe 15 minutes without doing a cover letter. Received and email from HR almost 2 months after I submitted an application. Scheduled a phone interview for the following week. Typical Project management question, job history questions. Was a generally pleasant interview which took a little over 25 minutes. And as much as I wanted to work there, I knew I wasn't going to get an offer when the HR person told me that I was part of the second round/group/wave of interviewees and the Process Manager was already doing face to face interviews with other applicants. We were just back ups...

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Makerbot (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied online, got an email saying they liked my resume and would like me to come for an on-site interview. So, I went met with 3 people, asked very basic questions for example: "How would you fix PCB that was working 2 hours ago but now doesn't work, and it's 2 am in the morning?". The other questions were based on my resume, the interviewers just waned me to elaborate on my work experiences, projects, internships, etc.