Makerbot Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

2.7

Design Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Makerbot.

I had a phone interview regarding a potential design position. The questions were vague and more on how I felt about management more so than specific questions on experience.

Interview Questions
    • Have I ever managed someone before. Would I be comfortable with acting as a mentor.   View Answer

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Makerbot in November 2013.

I applied via indeed and was contacted by hr fairly quickly. We scheduled an on-site interview. I was to meet with the vp of sales. When I arrived, I had to wait a bit, which allowed me to observe the office. It was a very open space. People were having meetings on the sofas out in the open. There were toys displayed on the shelf behind the receptionist, which gave it a fun vibe I suppose. The interview took place on those sofas as well, which were very close to the employees there, and that made me feel uncomfortable. The interview was very short. He mostly focused on who I thought their target audience were, and if I had a certain budget, what would I do with it. The whole thing just felt very rushed.

Vice President of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot in June 2013.

Was a very disjointed process. Never felt very warm - and it was very much a sausage factory, i.e. - they never got to know you. You were led from room to room meeting people. This was pre-acquisition so perhaps they were in between things - but it just felt like a horrible process and not a place I'd want to work at. Their CEO literally dropped in late during my presentation and was completely unfriendly. Not someone I got a good vibe from.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions regarding selling hardware and the challenges that entails. So this may not be difficult for folks from that background, but for me, was difficult.   Answer Question

Retail Trainer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Makerbot.

Makerbot gave me quite the run around during the interview process. First they offered me a phone interview in which they asked about my work experience and how much knowledge I had about the 3D printing industry. The phone interview took less than 30 minutes and was fairly painless.

They invited me to come into their office to speak with a few members of the training team. The in-person interview was almost all questions about how much I knew about 3D printing. They pretty much quizzed me.

Once that was over I got an e-mail that same day asking me to do a 15 minute presentation for the team on the basics of 3D printing. I did A LOT of research on Makerbot products, Thingiverse, 3D rendering software, etc. I presented to a room of about 10-15 people and had to answer some of their questions afterwards. An HR person walked me out of the room she told me I did a great job and that she was impressed with my knowledge in 3D printing and how well I presented. At that point I thought I had the job for sure. I was asked to wait in their lobby while HR and the team deliberated. They then asked if I could come back to interview 1:1 with their director of HR because she was on lunch. At that point I was a little annoyed, I didn't want to commute back to Makerbot HQ for a 3rd time. I asked if I could just wait for her to come back. They allowed it. An hour later I met with the HR director. She asked me very basic interview questions like "What are your strengths?".

After I had met with her, a member of the training team took me aside and said the company was making some changes internally and that the Retail Trainer job might not be a thing after the changes. She said they'd keep in touch and let me know if they still want to keep the Retail Trainer role--meaning...they'll let me know if the job will still exist for me...it's been over 3 months since then and I haven't heard anything since. Upon looking at their Careers page I see that the position is no longer there. So either they kept the role but hired someone else or the role was phased out completely. Either way interviewing with them was a total waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your training method. How would you teach a class on 3D printing?   Answer Question

Productor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Makerbot in February 2013.

I responded to an advertisement placed on craiglist. I went to the interview and found that it consisted of a preliminary rote mechanical task (seemingly designed to assess an individual's ability to follow simple directions) and then a normal interview which was, and still is, however, conducted in a "cattle-call" manner in the sight, though not the hearing, of all the other applicants themselves. All of this takes place in the middle of the factory floor while production is going on.

Interview Questions
    • The last question was, "What is your definition of teamwork?" My answer was about leadership specifically and not about teamwork at all -- and so I figured that I had then and there "sunk" the interview.   View Answer
    There was none.

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Makerbot.

I interviewed during a job fair. It was very busy but well organized. I met with a number of people and was offered the job right away.

HQ Office Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot.

Came in for a job fair this past spring 2013. I met with my prospective manager for the position. The interview was brief but pleasant. I got the feeling that the manager was really able and really wanted to learn a lot about me in the short amount of time.

About a week later, I was called in for another interview with an executive of the company and it was a bit intimidating but that's to be expected. I met two other people after meeting the executive and all of the interviews were pleasant.

The interview process was quite effective.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate my salary just a little.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Makerbot in February 2012.

Applied online, got an email saying they liked my resume and would like me to come for an on-site interview. So, I went met with 3 people, asked very basic questions for example: "How would you fix PCB that was working 2 hours ago but now doesn't work, and it's 2 am in the morning?". The other questions were based on my resume, the interviewers just waned me to elaborate on my work experiences, projects, internships, etc.

Associate Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot.

Applied online, also had a referral at the company. Went to the job fair which seemed very disorganized. Interviewed in a room full of people (50?). Interviewed by two people, classic interview questions. Didn't ask for my resume I had to ask for business cards. Felt very rushed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you utilize Thingiverse to leverage strategic partnerships?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Makerbot.

It was a pretty decent interview process.Applied because my professor advised me too.Out of all my friends that applied I was the only person that got a phone interview.After my phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview.My interview was in the open office which had other employees having meetings as I was being interviewed.I absolutely loved the office atmosphere though and I wanted nothing more but to work then so I was pretty crushed when I didn't get the job.Looking back now,I realized it wasn't for me and I'm glad I got an internship better suited for me.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing particularly difficult.I was interviewed on phone and on-site be people in the finance department so I was a bit at ease with them   Answer Question