Makerbot

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews

Marketing Interview

Marketing

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details – Thoughtful, but not as efficient as you'd have at a mature company. Lots of moving parts (people, times) & competition for the role means that there are delays. The process is thorough. Met a lot of people, as building culture is really important.

Interview Question – You're good, if you prepare. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Reasonable. You need to know what you want, and willing to be flexible on. MakerBot is reasonable.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Makerbot in May 2014.

Interview Details – I thought after reading previous reviews that I was walking into trouble but when I asked my interviewer about the reviews, sh reassured me that a lot of management had changed and things had cleaned up. I'm sorry to say it turned out to be a total mess.

1st interview was via phone w/ would be director. Standard walk me through your resume.

2nd interview I came in for but HR told me they set the wrong day. WTF 1/2 day wasted.

2nd interview, take two - group interview with 6 employees from sales and marketing. Slightly nerve-racking because of format. Was told at the end of the interview that they would bring me in for 3rd interview.

3rd interview - I had to fly in specifically for this. Received email upon landing that HR wanted to reschedule because they had a new employee they wanted me to meet the following week. I responded that I preferred closing the process. I didnt get a final response until I was at the Starbucks next door preparing for the interview - Marketbot insisted I come back another time... WTF

3rd interview try two - cancelled work travel to accommodate their timeline. Four 30 min interviews. First interviewer 20 min late. Grabs a random person that is walking down the hall and hasnt seen my resume to continue the interview. Then interview 2 overlaps. At end of interview 2, interviewer asks who Im meeting with next. Head of the department (key person I needed to meet that day). "Oh ______ isn't even in today. Yeah, he's travelling". WTF x2.

Interview 4 with HR. Am told I may have to come back to meet head of department, that I would hear back in 1-2 weeks. One month later I get response that I'm not chosen for role.

Overall impressions. Generally sharp cohort of employees. I liked my would-be director. HR dept completely over their heads. Questionable whether organization as a whole is as lost - head of dept being on travel for final interview that was basically to meet with him raises serious concerns.

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details – It was a pretty decent interview process.Applied because my professor advised me too.Out of all my friends that applied I was the only person that got a phone interview.After my phone interview, I was invited for an on-site interview.My interview was in the open office which had other employees having meetings as I was being interviewed.I absolutely loved the office atmosphere though and I wanted nothing more but to work then so I was pretty crushed when I didn't get the job.Looking back now,I realized it wasn't for me and I'm glad I got an internship better suited for me.

Interview Question – There was nothing particularly difficult.I was interviewed on phone and on-site be people in the finance department so I was a bit at ease with them   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot in January 2014.

Interview Details – Met w/ a few members of management in various departments. Discussed future company plans and how I envision myself contributing. Very friendly employees, young atmosphere.

Interview Question – What's one thing you hate doing but you're really good at?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary was too low.

Retail Trainer Interview

Retail Trainer

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details – Makerbot gave me quite the run around during the interview process. First they offered me a phone interview in which they asked about my work experience and how much knowledge I had about the 3D printing industry. The phone interview took less than 30 minutes and was fairly painless.

They invited me to come into their office to speak with a few members of the training team. The in-person interview was almost all questions about how much I knew about 3D printing. They pretty much quizzed me.

Once that was over I got an e-mail that same day asking me to do a 15 minute presentation for the team on the basics of 3D printing. I did A LOT of research on Makerbot products, Thingiverse, 3D rendering software, etc. I presented to a room of about 10-15 people and had to answer some of their questions afterwards. An HR person walked me out of the room she told me I did a great job and that she was impressed with my knowledge in 3D printing and how well I presented. At that point I thought I had the job for sure. I was asked to wait in their lobby while HR and the team deliberated. They then asked if I could come back to interview 1:1 with their director of HR because she was on lunch. At that point I was a little annoyed, I didn't want to commute back to Makerbot HQ for a 3rd time. I asked if I could just wait for her to come back. They allowed it. An hour later I met with the HR director. She asked me very basic interview questions like "What are your strengths?".

After I had met with her, a member of the training team took me aside and said the company was making some changes internally and that the Retail Trainer job might not be a thing after the changes. She said they'd keep in touch and let me know if they still want to keep the Retail Trainer role--meaning...they'll let me know if the job will still exist for me...it's been over 3 months since then and I haven't heard anything since. Upon looking at their Careers page I see that the position is no longer there. So either they kept the role but hired someone else or the role was phased out completely. Either way interviewing with them was a total waste of time.

Interview Question – Tell me about your training method. How would you teach a class on 3D printing?   Answer Question

Vice President of Sales Interview

Vice President of Sales
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot in June 2013.

Interview Details – Was a very disjointed process. Never felt very warm - and it was very much a sausage factory, i.e. - they never got to know you. You were led from room to room meeting people. This was pre-acquisition so perhaps they were in between things - but it just felt like a horrible process and not a place I'd want to work at. Their CEO literally dropped in late during my presentation and was completely unfriendly. Not someone I got a good vibe from.

Interview Question – Very specific questions regarding selling hardware and the challenges that entails. So this may not be difficult for folks from that background, but for me, was difficult.   Answer Question

Online Marketing Manager Interview

Online Marketing Manager
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Makerbot in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via indeed and was contacted by hr fairly quickly. We scheduled an on-site interview. I was to meet with the vp of sales. When I arrived, I had to wait a bit, which allowed me to observe the office. It was a very open space. People were having meetings on the sofas out in the open. There were toys displayed on the shelf behind the receptionist, which gave it a fun vibe I suppose. The interview took place on those sofas as well, which were very close to the employees there, and that made me feel uncomfortable. The interview was very short. He mostly focused on who I thought their target audience were, and if I had a certain budget, what would I do with it. The whole thing just felt very rushed.

Interview Question – How would you get me 10k names?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

QA Software Engineer Interview

QA Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a phone call interview. Was expecting a technical phone interview, but was asked mostly availability and 3D printing expertise. Invited for an in-person interview. Talked to 5 engineers. Asked to describe previous projects. The whole process took about 2 weeks. Was offered another in-person interview with HR, but after a few days got offer letter instead.

Interview Question – The only programming question that was asked was, write a function to generate the nth prime.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a better offer elsewhere

Design Interview

Design

I applied online and interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview regarding a potential design position. The questions were vague and more on how I felt about management more so than specific questions on experience.

Interview Question – Have I ever managed someone before. Would I be comfortable with acting as a mentor.   View Answer

HQ Office Position Interview

HQ Office Position

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Makerbot.

Interview Details – Came in for a job fair this past spring 2013. I met with my prospective manager for the position. The interview was brief but pleasant. I got the feeling that the manager was really able and really wanted to learn a lot about me in the short amount of time.

About a week later, I was called in for another interview with an executive of the company and it was a bit intimidating but that's to be expected. I met two other people after meeting the executive and all of the interviews were pleasant.

The interview process was quite effective.

Interview Question – What do you hate doing the most?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my salary just a little.

Worked for Makerbot? Contribute to the Community!