Management Sciences for Health Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

2.7

Program Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Management Sciences for Health in May 2015.

Interview

Extremely scatterbrained, dysfunctional recruiting process. Early May: MSH recruiter contacts me for phone screen regarding open position. They seemingly like what they hear, and ask me if I would be available for an interview.I live out of the area, but I mention that I'll actually be visiting Washington DC during the next week and could make time to come in then. MSH recruiter says that works and that he'll get back to me with a specific time, he never responds back. I assume they aren't interested, I take my trip to DC as planned. Two weeks later: A second MSH rep, from the same office, contacts me about a second position. I apparently again pass the phone screen, as they ask for an interview, and after mentioning what happened with the first recruiter/interview, they offer to do a Skype interview instead. They send me a list of dates/times and I quickly reply back that most of them work for me and I'll do it at their convenience. The next two weeks: the MSH recruiter continues to respond tardily to my confirmation emails, meaning that the proposed interview date gets pushed back multiple times. Since this is getting ridiculous and I want to come off like the likeable, flexible job candidate, I finally just tell her to pick a day and time that works on their end and that I will make sure that I'm available. Finally we settle on a time the following Monday morning. The Friday afternoon before the interview: I receive a confirmation email for the recruiter, stating the date, time, who I'm supposed to be meeting with, and what time I'm expected to be in Washington DC. Shocked, I quickly respond back and say that I was under the impression that this would be a Skype interview, that last minute flight/accommodations are expensive, and that I had offered to do an in-person while I'd been in DC a couple weeks before , etc. Monday morning: I finally get a clarification email from the recruiter, who apologizes for the confusion. At this point I'd already been offered and accepted a better-paying, better-fitting position elsewhere, so I was only doing the MSH interview for extra practice. The interview itself lasts an hour, followed by a language exam they ask you to perform while still on Skype that takes approximately another 45 minutes. I submit the exam, they tell me they'll be contacting me in a couple weeks either way. Mid-July: Absolutely no contact from MSH, and very glad I found a better opportunity elsewhere.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Management Sciences for Health (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted within two weeks of applying for a phone interview. About a week later, I was contacted for a second in-person interview. The questions for the first interview were pretty standard, while they focused more on specifics of the position during the second one. While I did not get the position, the people in the office were very friendly, and I felt very comfortable during the interview.

Business Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Management Sciences for Health (Medford, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

interview process was fine until i was offered the job and was not allowed to speak with any current employees to get more info about the position. this would've been my first job out of college and not being allowed to speak to anyone under 50 at the organization was a huge turn off. in addition, i was given 2 DAYS to accept the offer, and HR was extremely unaccommodating and rude to me in trying to negotiate this. all of these issues really gave me a bad vibe from the organization, and after reading their reviews on glassdoor, it's clear they need to do something differently if they want people to stay with them.

Senior Contract Officer Interview

Interview

I applied online, got a phone interview, then was flown to Boston to be interviewed in person, and did a written test. I met with a lot of people. Some individuals and some in groups.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated more salary

Officer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Management Sciences for Health.

Interview

MSH likes conducting interviews in groups and there are usually two or three rounds of group interviews. Many of the questions are to find out if you are a going to be a good fit with the group of people you would closely work with. Follow-ups and next steps are slow because usually only one person can make the decision and they might be out on vacation or on TDY.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Didn't allow for much negotiation. You were just told what the salary was and when you try to negotiate, you were told that the salary is the market rate for that position.

Senior Project Officer Interview

Interview

I had an informational interview with an employee before the job was posted. Once the job was posted I sent my resume to the same employee, who then forwarded my information to HR. I was brought in for an in-person interview, and was offered the job shortly after. The interview consisted of a 3-person panel, and I was asked basic questions plus a question in French.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You need to negotiate hard with MSH. They will try to screw you over if you are shy about asking for more money. Ask for more until they state you have reached the cap.

Project Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Management Sciences for Health.

Interview

Submitted my application online, received a phone call from HR to schedule an in person interview. Met with 4 people on the team I would be working with. Had a 2nd follow up interview via Skype with Finance Director who was unavailable at the time

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions, strengths and weaknesses, how do you prioritize, how familiar are you with excel, tell me about a time you worked with a difficult person, how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR will negotiate based on what your last job salary is and say that they are trying to maintain internal equity. Very important to negotiate, since once you are in it is very difficult to increase your salary further

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Management Sciences for Health (Cambridge, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview with HR then later had an in person interview with a panel of 2 people over Skype and then interviewed with one more person. At this point it seemed pretty clear that I had the job so it was more of a discussion. I began working within 2 weeks.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Management Sciences for Health (Arlington, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

I was emailed about coming in for an interview, set one up, and came in. The interview was one on one, very straightforward, and easy going. I was excited to work there and felt the interview went well but really couldn't tell either way until I got the offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• None, all of it was expected questions I've heard before.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked about a possible stipend for travel expenses since the internship is unpaid and I'm working two jobs (in addition to school) to pay for this experience but it was denied.

Business Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Management Sciences for Health (Cambridge, MA) in July 2013.

Interview

Initial contact after employee referral for position. A screening document was sent ahead of the phone interview to gauge interest and experience in field. Phone screening was brief and to the point. Was mainly to get background information and direction of interest. ASked about salary preferences.