Manulife Financial

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.9

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Communications Specialist Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Manulife Financial.

Typical hiring process. Be prepared for questions about your previous roles. Be prepared for more than one interview. Dress well and professionally. Don't be late for the interview. Be sure to follow up with a thank you afterward.

Client Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Manulife Financial in November 2014.

The interview process was quick. After 5 days of submitting my resume, I was scheduled on the following day for a 30 minute phone interview. The 2 interviewers were nice and the questions were generally easy. After 3 days, someone from HR called, asked a few questions regarding work and scheduled me for testing and another round of interviews with the team leads.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were able to do a task before but couldn't do now.   Answer Question

Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Manulife Financial in October 2014.

Applied online. Received an email for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 10 minutes. Interviewer was really nice. I got an email 1 week later saying they had gone with another candidate.

Director Interview

Responded to questions on Taleo. Interview process: HR, Hiring Manager, Panel Interview with peer group. Interviews were very honest about the company culture. Fit seemed to be as important as technical knowledge, experience and education. All interviewers presented a very accurate picture of what to expect. Overall, the process was smooth and relatively quick.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Typical behavioural question types.   Answer Question
    Salary was not negotiable. I took the job nonetheless to get in the door as the future opportunities seemed promising.

Case Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Manulife Financial in July 2014.

I applied through a recruiting agency and heard back from Manulife within a week for an interview. The interview was a bit long (little over an hour) and had two people asking questions. The entire interview process was very fast as I found out 3 days later that I did not get an offer.

Senior Actuarial Analyst III Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Manulife Financial.

went to second round for campus recruiting, first round was 2 to 1 interview for about 45 mins, no hard questions. Second round was day long, lots of detail questions based on my experiences, there was a British lady who has really heavy accent, had a hard time to understand her questions

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Manulife Financial in June 2014.

This was an extremely long process. After applying online it took about a month to hear a reply. 2 weeks later there was a 30 min phone interview regarding background, salary expectations and an deeper explanation of the direction the company was taking. Next step was a 3 person interview about 3 weeks later. Interview was held at their Waterloo office and lasted 1 hour. They asked several competency-based interview questions, asked if I had any questions and then the interview was over. About two week waiting time to hear a response as to the position being filled. A little over a 2 month process.
    The entire process was riddled with inconsistency and the hiring manager seemed a bit disorganized. Confirmed dates being missed, feedback promised and never fulfilled, interview questions being read off of a piece of paper and clearly just plucked from a website. That being said the interviewers themselves were pleasant and did not make the process uncomfortable. It would have helped to have more information about what kinds of things to expect at the interview.
    Looked like a nice place to work, however, it seems evident that they are not very organized with the interview process yet, seemed very off the cuff.

Interview Questions
    • What mistakes have you made and how did you approach fixing them?   Answer Question

Disability Case Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Manulife Financial.

The first telephone interview was an initial screening checking that I knew basic information about Manulife and that I had the required education. The second interview was longer asking me about different scenarios, what I would do if I had conflict with a conflict with a person, conflict with a manager, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions but second telephone was long (80 minutes)   Answer Question

Human Resources Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Manulife Financial in May 2014.

I was originally referred to the position by a Manulife employee. I submitted my resume, cover letter & recent transcript. I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter to discuss the position and if I had any initial questions. We discussed general things like my availability, salary expectations, whether I was pursuing any other opportunities.

From there I scheduled a phone interview with a Director in the dept that I would work closely with. This was a more formal interview with structured questions. Many questions were behavioral and I had to bring up a lot of examples that prepared me for the responsibilities of the present role. As a recent graduate I used a lot of project experience from school in my answers. This interview was around 30-45 min.

The recruiter contacted me following this to discuss and set up the next interview, in person, with the Assistant Vice President of the dept - who I would report to if I was successful.

This interview was a bit more informal and more conversational about my interests and why I was interested in the open role and why I think I would be successful if offered. This lasted about an hour.
    He indicated there were other candidates also interviewing and would get back to me within a week.
    Within a few days the recruiter called me to offer me the position. I negotiated my salary and start date and accepted the position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself that I wouldn't know from your resume.   View Answer
    I was able to increase my base salary by 5k through negotiation. I used Glassdoor and Salary.com as benchmarks as well as the average graduating salary from my university program.

Actuarial Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Manulife Financial.

2 very friendly interviewer interviewed me. They were so nice that they talked to me as if they were my friends. They are mostly looking for people who are good at interacting with people so the interview for Coops wasn't hard. As reflected by the interviewers, the work place was friendly and professional.

Interview Questions
    • None. The interview was more like a chat so it wasn't difficult.   Answer Question
    It was a coop position, so nothing could be negotiated.