MapQuest Associate Product Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MapQuest in March 2013.

The process began shortly after I applied for the position online. Approximately 3 days after I applied, I got a phone call from their hiring manager and chief Product Manager. He seemed friendly and engaging, and asked general "Tell me about yourself" sorts of questions. He told me that Id be receiving a follow up call in the next 3 days from another team member. It was only a few hours later that I got a call from another Product Management supervisor in PA. He complimented my resume, and even said that he was sending it to their tallent acquisition department because it was one of the best he had seen. He asked about my time frame and explained that I'd be receiving an email to schedule an onsite interview. Both of these calls lasted only 30 minutes a piece.
About three days later I received an email from AOLs scheduling team that told me exactly when my interview would be. They are very organized in their approach to setting up interviews. A week later (after traveling for many hours to get there) I interviewed on site. The Denver headquarters is incredible, and it is clear that they try to maintain a catchy office space for recruitment purposes. I am not sure employees get much time to enjoy it. The interview consisted of four 30 min conversations with people in denver, as well as people in PA via teleconference. The video system was not working properly when I arrived, and they spent about twenty minutes working on it. They have you speak with a Cultural Advisor for 45 minutes. The Cultural Advisor asks questions from a list provided to them by AOL. I think they give you a grade based upon your answers. Make sure you speak slowly as the Cultural Advisor takes notes, and I caught my guy paraphrasing my answers into points i did not intend to make. Just study up and you'll be fine.
Unfortunately the bad points of the hiring process out-way the good. During my interview I spoke with a Project Manager via teleconference in PA. Right from the get go he came across as agressive and irritated by the process. He asked loaded questions like "Tell me a joke," and "I'll be your boss. How do you feel about that?" I have some work experience at non-profits on my resume. Serving a greater good is something I care about. When he looked at my resume and saw these listings, he asked "What is this, a throw away job?" I find this incredibly rude and uncalled for as AOL puts so much emphasis on its employees values and ethics. This is clearly one of those interviewers that likes to feel dominant to the interviewee.
Following the interview, I sent a brief thank you to each of the interviewers. None of them replied. After a week, I sent a brief follow up to the hiring manager to express my continued interest. He never replied. Another week went by, and I sent a second follow up to him hoping to get an idea for where I stood. Again, no reply. After a third week went by I sent yet another very cordial follow up, still no reply. By this time I figured I had fallen off their radar all together. After a fourth week I sent an email to the AOL rep that had originally scheduled my interview in Denver, to confirm that I had the hiring manager's correct contact info. She confirmed that I did. MapQuest's hiring manager was simply ignoring me. No "Sorry, we're going in a different direction" nothing.
Such levels of unprofessionalism and discourtesy surprise me. In a time in which MapQuest's competitors are stronger than ever, I am surprised at how they seem so eager to take their biggest fans (the consumers who want to work for them) for granted. It seems AOL and MapQuest have lost at least one more advocate.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a Joke.   View Answer
  • Most of the questions were circumstantial and went like: How would you collect information on a POI (Point of Interest) if it were say: a theme park.   View Answer
  • The first few months your here you will have to just sit at a desk and write about our 100 most popular POIs. How do you feel about doing this?
    His tone made it sound like it would be busy "lackluster" work. He wanted to see if I would be ok with the boring parts of the job.
      View Answer

Worked for MapQuest? Contribute to the Community!