MapQuest Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at MapQuest in May 2014.

The interview process started with a phone call from an employee presumably to look for interest, and then a call from the hiring manager. We discussed what technology stacks MapQuest uses (Scala, Java, Ruby on Rails, ObjectiveC) and current projects. There were questions about my skills and interests.

Next, there was a online code exercise about converting a string to morse code.

A few days later, there was an onsite, half day interview. The meeting was with individual engineers, and one time with a pair of engineers. It included the option to sit at a pairing station to look at a problem in a current project, or to draw up examples on the whiteboard for exercises like 'How would you approach designing software to manage a vending machine?'.

Next, the interviewer pulled up on a screen some examples of my contib code on github. We walked through and discussed some of the work.

There were standard questions about background, experience, and motivation by the managers. They discussed strengths like culture, and process at MapQuest.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most recent programming concept you researched? Why, and how did you go about it?   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at MapQuest in March 2013.

The process began shortly after I applied for the position online. Approximately 3 days after I applied, I got a phone call from their hiring manager and chief Product Manager. He seemed friendly and engaging, and asked general "Tell me about yourself" sorts of questions. He told me that Id be receiving a follow up call in the next 3 days from another team member. It was only a few hours later that I got a call from another Product Management supervisor in PA. He complimented my resume, and even said that he was sending it to their tallent acquisition department because it was one of the best he had seen. He asked about my time frame and explained that I'd be receiving an email to schedule an onsite interview. Both of these calls lasted only 30 minutes a piece.
    About three days later I received an email from AOLs scheduling team that told me exactly when my interview would be. They are very organized in their approach to setting up interviews. A week later (after traveling for many hours to get there) I interviewed on site. The Denver headquarters is incredible, and it is clear that they try to maintain a catchy office space for recruitment purposes. I am not sure employees get much time to enjoy it. The interview consisted of four 30 min conversations with people in denver, as well as people in PA via teleconference. The video system was not working properly when I arrived, and they spent about twenty minutes working on it. They have you speak with a Cultural Advisor for 45 minutes. The Cultural Advisor asks questions from a list provided to them by AOL. I think they give you a grade based upon your answers. Make sure you speak slowly as the Cultural Advisor takes notes, and I caught my guy paraphrasing my answers into points i did not intend to make. Just study up and you'll be fine.
    Unfortunately the bad points of the hiring process out-way the good. During my interview I spoke with a Project Manager via teleconference in PA. Right from the get go he came across as agressive and irritated by the process. He asked loaded questions like "Tell me a joke," and "I'll be your boss. How do you feel about that?" I have some work experience at non-profits on my resume. Serving a greater good is something I care about. When he looked at my resume and saw these listings, he asked "What is this, a throw away job?" I find this incredibly rude and uncalled for as AOL puts so much emphasis on its employees values and ethics. This is clearly one of those interviewers that likes to feel dominant to the interviewee.
    Following the interview, I sent a brief thank you to each of the interviewers. None of them replied. After a week, I sent a brief follow up to the hiring manager to express my continued interest. He never replied. Another week went by, and I sent a second follow up to him hoping to get an idea for where I stood. Again, no reply. After a third week went by I sent yet another very cordial follow up, still no reply. By this time I figured I had fallen off their radar all together. After a fourth week I sent an email to the AOL rep that had originally scheduled my interview in Denver, to confirm that I had the hiring manager's correct contact info. She confirmed that I did. MapQuest's hiring manager was simply ignoring me. No "Sorry, we're going in a different direction" nothing.
    Such levels of unprofessionalism and discourtesy surprise me. In a time in which MapQuest's competitors are stronger than ever, I am surprised at how they seem so eager to take their biggest fans (the consumers who want to work for them) for granted. It seems AOL and MapQuest have lost at least one more advocate.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a Joke.   View Answer
    • Most of the questions were circumstantial and went like: How would you collect information on a POI (Point of Interest) if it were say: a theme park.   View Answer
    • The first few months your here you will have to just sit at a desk and write about our 100 most popular POIs. How do you feel about doing this?
      His tone made it sound like it would be busy "lackluster" work. He wanted to see if I would be ok with the boring parts of the job.
        View Answer

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

I applied online – interviewed at MapQuest in October 2012.

This position was for an entry level position. The interview in total was approximately 3 hours. It was split into 3 smaller interviews. The first was with the team I would be joining if I get the position. The second was with 2 System Architects, and the third interview was with the hiring manager. The first 2 interviews I was asked to write some code. The third interview I was asked to write a sql join statement. In all it was a very laid back interview. One of the interviews went short so I played ping pong with one of the interviewees.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations, the salary offered was more than expected.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MapQuest in January 2012.

I was referred by a friend in December and got interviewed in January. First, I came to the office for a preliminary interview with a manager and then had a series of 3 interviews with other software engineers. After that, there was a coding exercise which was rather poorly specified: I was supposed to submit some code whether it compiled or even did anything. I sent in part of a game I was working on, and was asked to submit another sample when the team felt my game didn't display much (it didn't have any web component, for instance).

Interview Questions
    • Explain the reasoning behind the OO practice of favoring composition over inheritance. When would you use one or the other?   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate - the salary was what I expected.

Search Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at MapQuest in June 2010.

Had an hour+ phone interview with hiring manager where we covered technologies listed on my resume. Nothing too technical and no tricky coding questions. Was asked to interview in person--scheduled to meet about 5-6 people over the course of 4+ hours.

In person, the interviewers didn't seem to have looked at my resume before the meeting. Mostly high-level questions about search technology.

Didn't receive an offer and was told I didn't know enough about the internals of a popular open-source search library. That's funny!!! I don't remember them asking any questions to gauge my knowledge in that area. Job is still open.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the process you would use to interpret the intent of a location-based search query?   View Answer

Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MapQuest in August 2011.

Interview consisted of phone and in person interviews. The people were nice and seemed to have already made up their minds.

Interview Questions
    Nothing. Their offer was firm. FYI don't let them talk you into a bonus plan. You'll never see a dime of that money.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at MapQuest in September 2010.

It appeared to me like they were desperate to get some good fresh talent into the organization.
    Though I had applied since I needed to make a change, almost all interviewers were trying to sell me how good the position and company was.

It looked to me like they needed me more than I needed them. and this was even without putting me through a decent technical test or screening

This was kind of unusual and I am glad I refused to join.
    (spoke to a few ex-employees of that place)