MapQuest

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MapQuest in January 2012.

I was referred by a friend in December and got interviewed in January. First, I came to the office for a preliminary interview with a manager and then had a series of 3 interviews with other software engineers. After that, there was a coding exercise which was rather poorly specified: I was supposed to submit some code whether it compiled or even did anything. I sent in part of a game I was working on, and was asked to submit another sample when the team felt my game didn't display much (it didn't have any web component, for instance).

Interview Questions
  • Explain the reasoning behind the OO practice of favoring composition over inheritance. When would you use one or the other?   View Answer
I didn't negotiate - the salary was what I expected.