Marakon Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

5 interviews

3.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marakon.

Corresponded with two Managers via email to set up an interview. First interview was a phone screening with a senior level Principal. This was more of a fit interview and included a few questions about why I wanted to leave my then current firm and where I saw myself fitting in at Marakon.

Second round interview entailed two business cases, one with a Senior Associate and one with a senior level Principal (different person from the phone interview). The cases were pretty standard profitability and growth strategy cases involving quick mental calculations using large numbers, a basic understanding of how businesses make money, some intuitive and creative thinking about the industries in which the "client" company operates, etc. The questions and cases were pretty standard, but what made one of the cases more challenging was the rate at which you were expected to have an answer to the rapid fire list of questions the senior Principal asked. The case was very fast-paced, so you had to think quickly and be confident in your responses.

I then had a fit interview with a VP (formerly known as Partners). Standard fit questions, friendly, nothing unanticipated or unfair.

Interview Questions
  • Your background is somewhat atypical for us. How can we leverage your experience and education in our work and what are you going to do to catch up to speed with some of our baseline skills?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Marakon

Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marakon.

Overview:
    1st Round - on-campus - two case interviews
    Final round - in NY office - three interviews (2 cases and 1 fit)

General Thoughts:
    Marakon interviews were similar to interviews at all other management consulting firms. Be prepared to go through business cases during each round of the interview process. Brush up on math skills and strategic and creative thinking. One thing I would say that stood out for me was that the people at Marakon really made me feel at ease during the whole interview process. Although I had interviews pretty late during the day, my interviewers were friendly and very helpful (even after a whole day of sitting through interviews) - you could also tell that they want you to do well. I cannot say the same for some of the other interviews I had with other companies. I would say overall it was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to be thinkers and problem solvers and will urge you to come up with more ideas/creative answers.   Answer Question
    Thought offer was good and in-line with other consulting firms - did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marakon in November 2009.

Campus Recruiting as 1st round and Onsite Interview as 2nd round

Interview Questions
    • One interviewer at Campus Recruiting was playing bad cop and tried to test us under-pressure   View Answer
    I didnt negotiate. Though some other companies offered higher salary, type of work at Marakon is much more interesting

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Marakon in January 2011.

CV and cover letter submitted online. Make sure to go to one of their campus presentations if there's one at your school because they seem to care a lot about that. Interview was 2 rounds, 1 with a simple CV interview (more of a conversation really) and a very rudimentary case just to test if you know how to read graphs and stuff. Round 2 had 4 rounds - a group case study and presentation, a regular case study, a "role play" scenario where you're pretending to be a consultant getting information out of a reluctant client employee, and a more in-depth cv interview with some competency questions.

Interview Questions
    • You're working at marakon and your client is considering moving his manufacturing from western europe to eastern europe. You're going to be asking an employee of theirs questions about how much money the company can save by moving the plants, but you have to put him at ease because he may lose his job if they move the plants. This is a role play   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Marakon in December 2010.

2 one-on-one interviews. One case study, one fit interview. Not very friendly.
    Case study required lots of maths, and had to pull out insights from graphs presented before you. Very intense questioning, and tough interrogation of answers given.
    Fit interview had some of the standard fit interview questions, but delved into everything mentioned very thoroughly, with a strong focus on business. What business issues interest you? Companies you're interested in. 'If you were CEO of X what would you be doing/ what would the important issues you are facing right now be? Felt like a cross between a case study and a fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you were CEO of X what are the key issues you would address?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marakon

Worked for Marakon? Contribute to the Community!