Marathon Oil

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Entry Level Petroleum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marathon Oil in August 2011.

I was invited for an interview on campus, which was basically a 2:1 interview. It was a 30 minutes interview focusing on both behavioral and technical background. Questions like: Why do you want to work at Marathon? Tell me about you graduate research thesis? Tell me about your experience working as a ....? What are you short term and long term goals? etc.

I was invited to for the second round interview in another 2 weeks at Marathon Houston office. It was a 3-set 2:1 interview, lasting for 45 minutes each, back-to-back, 2 hours 15 minutes total. For the most part, the interview was a technical, referencing my past experience in different positions and specific roles I played in those positions. The interviewers persistently slip in behavioral questions while I was answering those technical questions. I can say that was a bit rigorous, cos I could not predict what was coming next during the interviews.

Interview Questions
  • What aspect of petroleum engineering (or course) do you like most and the least? Why those areas? Why do you want to work at Marathon? Tell me about you graduate research thesis? Tell me about your experience working as a ....? What are you short term and long term goals?   Answer Question
  • What were you responsibility when you worked as....? Tell me a time when someone in a team was not performing his/her duty and what did you do? What will you do when your immediate supervisor is not complying with stated standards? How do you learn? Give me a time that your work was criticized when you were working as...? While you worked as..., has your idea ever been rejected? How did you handle the situation? Explain what step you took to complete the tasks that were given to you when you worked as...? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? A time you had a dispute with your colleague and how did you resolve it? A time you were in charge of a group of people and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
I did not negotiate cos I was applying for an entry level position, even though I had some few years of experience. I was given a mind-blowing offer which I couldn't decline anyways - better than what any of the Majors around would offer.