Marathon Oil

Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.8

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Met them at the university career fair where they directed everyone they spoke to to apply online. They then had an informal dinner the night before with the recruiters and a few recent graduates of the university whom they had hired. The interview the next day was very relaxed and conversational with only two or three behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
  • What's the toughest assignment you've had while in school here?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Marathon Oil

Intern Interview

The interview was straightforward and the interviewers were very professional and intelligent. Both of the interviewers had great depth in different engineering concepts and could relate many things to the oil and gas industry. Be prepared to speak on how perform technically as well as non-technical communication.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil in December 2013.

2 part interview, first with HR, and then with the respective department. Culture was very relaxed and both interviewers seemed to want to know your true interest.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the history of Marathon.   View Answer
    No Negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in August 2011.

My experience with the application and interview process with Marathon Oil was very good. I utilized the services of my university's career services office and submitted my resume through their website. Marathon requires a minimum GPA of 3.0; however, they only interview a small number of applicants and everyone who received an offer from our school had at least a 3.5 GPA. I was notified the monday after the deadline to apply that I had received an interview. The day before the interview was the job fair for those in most STEM fields where I was able to meet many prospective employers and I stopped by the Marathon Oil boothand introduced myself, informing them I would be interviewing with them the following day. The recruiters were very polite and helped me to prepare further for my interview by answering my questions about the company.

I dressed in nice slacks, a nice open collared shirt, a necktie, and a blazer for the interview. The recruiters took note of how well I was dressed (dressing like you care makes a big impression). They asked me about my school work, about my past jobs, and how they could help me in the future as an engineer. They ask you to

Throughout the interview the recruiters continue to take notes on everything you say, and not just what your response was. They also take note of what seemed to be "buzz words." For instance, I believe it was noted when I brought up the terms "safety" "teamwork" "leadership" and things like that.

I also brought a portfolio with extra copies of all of my documents (resume, transcript, etc.) and I took notes myself throughout the interview. I had questions prepared to ask about student loan repayment, possible locations for internships, and whether or not interns could receive health care through the company for the duration of their employment. I made solid eye contact and spoke with confidence.

I was interviewed by two Marathon Oil employees. One is an engineer himself, and the other is in human resources in "talent acquisition" (fancy terminology for recruiter). They were both extremely polite and helpful. They also went about the interview in a way to learn as much about me as possible, unlike some other interviews I have had with other companies where it feels like the interviewer is an automaton who just asks generic questions and moves on.

I would recommend this company to anyone considering my experiences thus far, and if you don't get an offer the first time, find out why you weren't chosen, fix it, then try again.

Interview Questions
    • -provide an example of a time you were working on a team and ran into a problem, then how was that problem resolved   Answer Question
    • -provide an example of a time you ran into a technical problem as a individual and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question
    • -provide an example of a time you were working in a group where one member was very difficult to deal with and you you overcame that.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations. The pay for interns is based on college level and GPA (i believe)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marathon Oil in October 2010.

I first met them at an employer panel event the night before my university's Career Fair. They gave me their business cards and told me they would be very interested in talking to me at the career fair the following day. When I visited their booth they remembered my face immediately and pulled me aside to give me the information on the internship. I was placed on their interview list and told to fill out an application on their company website (this is always required).

I was advised to attend an information session prior to my interview to get more acquainted with the company as well as those that were conducting the interviews.

During the interview I was asked a series of situational questions that probed for examples of teamwork, leadership, and innovative thought. I was informed the next business day that I was being offered a summer internship position.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with "change"?   View Answer
    • Why are you interested in working for an Oil & Gas company?   View Answer
    They base intern hourly wages on how many hours you have completed in college.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in October 2011.

The interview process through the university is very accommodating and information for a student. A few representatives from the company, including recent graduates, gave a presentation with an overview of the company and gave time for any questions. Time slots were chosen ahead of time by the students, and the next day I had an 30 minute interview with a human resources representative and a geologist. They asked me questions and gave me time to ask my own one on one questions about anything. The next day I was contacted by one of my interviewers and offered the position, and given a week to make my decision.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you were forced to make a decision that may not be received well by people you were working with.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Confusion between HR and the university career center lead to not being able to schedule interview online. I was contacted by an MRO employee saying I would be contacted to schedule an interview, but was never called. Luckily I was able to schedule an interview the night before at the information session. However, they did not have my resume on file, so I had to provide them with a copy. The information session and interview went very well. The only problem was the confusion leading up to that point.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like most and least about your previous internship? What would you expect to get out of an internship with Marathon Oil?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2011.

I have applied for this position through my school's career website, and soon after got an invitation for an interview. It was scheduled during the Career Fair that we have at our school annually. Two days before the interview I have received a call that the interview has been pushed forward one day, which luckily didn't conflict with my schedule. I was interviewed by two individuals, one who was a representative from human resources, and one who was an engineer. It was a great combination, because I was able to ask questions about both aspects of the company, and because of the different backgrounds of the two interviewers, all of my questions were answered. The interview process was very straight forward and relaxed. During the interview, I was asked for a transcript, even though it wasn't mentioned before, but I was told to send it in after the interview. Two weeks after the interview, I have received a call from one of my interviewers that I have been offered the position I interviewed for. I had one week to make my decision. I called with a few questions and all of them were answered. The only thing I was concerned about was the fact that I didn't visit the facility.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you had to work in a group and what was the result.   Answer Question
    • What were some strengths that you brought to the group?   Answer Question
    During the time of my offer, I have been very busy at school, and I asked for a one-week extension on my offer. This was granted to me, and I accepted the offer after the given time.

Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in February 2011.

We discussed the possibility of interning for the company. They explained that the company was splitting upstream and downstream facilities into two different companies. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes and no internship was offered afterward.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2010.

An application had to be completed online and then I had to wait to be selected from my initial application to be able to sign up for an interview through the Career Center website at my university. The day before my interview Marathon held an information session at the university where they discussed the different departments and the typical internship experience (I highly recommend attending this session if you are selected for an interview because it allows you to meet one of the persons who will be interviewing you the next day). The interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and was behavioral based and I was interviewed by a manager in the department I would be interning with and also a human resources employee (University Relations).

Interview Questions
    • I honestly can't remember any question being that difficult; a lot of the questions were asking me to tell and provide more detail about different things on my resume.   Answer Question