Marathon Oil

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Production Engineer Interview

Production Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Oil in May 2014.

Interview Details – Went through a recruiter. The process took about two weeks. The phone screen was highly technical. It was with the HR rep and the Tech manager that spoke in Engineer-ese the whole time. Not a great experience.

Interview Question – What goes into a material balance?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Based on location.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Drilling Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview Details – The interview and hiring process were both very painless. Once the interview happened and the offer was accepted, it took about a week and a half to get everything sorted out with the background check and the drug testing. Definitely very happy to be working for the company and see myself working here for a long time.

Interview Question – What is one of your biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marathon Oil in August 2012.

Interview Details – Single day process, you speak with 5 - 7 people and a decision is made within a week.

Interview Question – All standard interview questions. Much more emphasis is placed on cultural fit   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Oil in December 2013.

Interview Details – 2 part interview, first with HR, and then with the respective department. Culture was very relaxed and both interviewers seemed to want to know your true interest.

Interview Question – Tell me about the history of Marathon.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation.

IT Business Analyst Interview

IT Business Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process, as with any large company, takes a long time. In my experience, I needed to be relocated from another city so it made the wait a little longer. MRO first scheduled a phone interview then a in-person interview then finally made the offer. From start to end it took about 4 months.

Interview Question – Transitioning from a different industry it was difficult to answer questions in a way that an Oil and Gas professional would.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Seemless as both parties agreed on the terms from the start

Geologist Interview

Geologist

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2013.

Interview Details – Requires finishing online application before interviewing.

Interview Question – What's you short term and long term goals.   Answer Question

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

Accounting/Finance Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had spoken to them at our universities career fair where they told us to apply online, which I did. I was not contacted for another 2 weeks until I was emailed saying they wanted me to do an interview with them which I set up at the school. They had some previous interns and current employees waiting out in the "waiting area" talking and answering any questions we had about Marathon or the position we were interviewing for. They then brought us back to the room where there were 2 ladies waiting. They mostly spoke about my resume, asking questions about it and a few behavioral. Was very relaxed and fun environment.

Interview Question – None, all about my resume   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had another offer that was a better fit for me personally. Great company though. Very fast at getting back to you!!

Electrical Engineer Co-op Interview

Electrical Engineer Co-op
Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Oil in January 2012.

Interview Details – I answered an email through my school's engineering system by replying with my resume. I was invited to a technical interview on campus. After the interview I waited a couple of weeks and got a call from the HR department offering me the co-op.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Entry Level Geologist Interview

Entry Level Geologist
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Marathon Oil in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online on their website and forgot about it because they never called me in the past, then I received a phone call about one month later from a recruiter asking if I am still interested and if I will be available for a telephone interview. I said yes and was scheduled for an interview in 2 days' time. On the day of the interview, I was contacted by a Gulf of Mexico Exploration Supervisor. He started by introducing himself. The he asked me to introduce myself by telling them where I have been, what I have done. That is like saying, tell me about yourself? Then he asked me, “do you have the ability to work unrestricted in the United States? Will you need sponsorship now or in the future to work for Marathon Oil Corporation? He inquired, “Will you be willing to relocate if required?” Explain to me what you did in your thesis? Tell me about your current job? How is your professional relationship at your current place of work? That is, how are you getting along with your co-workers? Have you worked in exploration team before? Have you used Petra and petrel software before? Tell me software you have used in the past or that you are currently using?

Then, he explained to me the responsibility the candidate for the position will be assuming if hired, before asking, tell me a time your suggestion was useful in a team work setting? Was your suggestion accepted? Then he told me the basic salary for the position. Finally, he asked me, "do you have any question for me?” He told me that they are in the starting phase of the interview, thus that it may take a while before I will hear from them, and the phone interview was over.

I did not hear from them until exactly month after the interview. But I called the company after 3 week for the outcome but got no response from my call. Eventually I got an e-mail saying it was great speaking with me, that they are continuing their search.

Interview Question – I will say, when he asked me if I have worked in exploration team before. He did not give me a single second to respond and moved on to another question.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview Details – Pretty standard interview process, at their Houston headquarters. 1-2 interviewers at a time, 4 rounds of questions. Lunch with current younger employees gave an opportunity to ask questions about work/life balance, advancement opportunities, etc.

Interview Question – All questions were pretty standard. Mostly behavorial, "name a time that...", "what would you do if..." type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was happy with the initial offer. They were very flexible with my start date.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marathon Oil

Worked for Marathon Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Marathon Oil Videos

Marathon Oil – Why Work for Us?

At Marathon Oil, we look for motivated, team-oriented people with high integrity who thrive in a challenging work environment where they can make a direct impact right away. We realize that you will only be satisfied… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marathon Oil interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by Marathon Oil employees and interview candidates.