Marathon Oil Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through a top Recruiting agency. The job description says for Oracle Support role. Since I had more years of experience in database administration than what they were looking for, I was offered job without any interview/discussion. On day one, the DBA manager and the Team Lead were discussing with me a different job role(an implementation project) than advertised. In the afternoon, I had an unexpected meeting with the whole dba team which turned into a panel interview of 7 dbas. Though the manager and the team lead were asking technical questions, I had no idea why they want the presence of other 5 dbas in the interview room. They were all silent after introducing themselves and had a live view of my interview without notice. I don't know if the manager had any prior idea what he is looking for in a candidate. After a day of work at their location, I was informed that they didn't select me. What did you say???? I had other offers in line, which I declined for joining Marathon Oil and on day 1, my opining on the company changed. I wish they discussed the implementation role prior to extending an offer than informing after a day of work. Seems like they call it as interview at work after joining. Never heard anything like that in my whole career. May be the manager is trying for a different interview process (interview after extending offer) and wants candidate to leave the contract after joining them. Is this the way Marathon treats their contractors?

Totally unprofessional. I am thankful for not joining such an unethical group.

Interview Questions

• Questions on Oracle technical discussions, Archival backup and basic architecture.   Answer Question

GIS Tech Interview

Interview

Resume submitted, followed by a brief phone interview (30 minutes). An in-person on-site interview followed after a few weeks consisting of a panel of 3 employees acting as the selection committee. There were multiple interviewees for this in-person interview process, but it definitely felt like each interview was being tailored to specific skills and background strengths. There weren't any canned questions. Very professional and well done throughout.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question posed was whether or not there would be any deal breakers on my side for accepting the job if offered. I have never had this question asked before, and it threw me for a bit of a loop. The proposed hours were not typical, which is why I think that they were asking this as people with families or other obligations may need a more 8-to-5 schedule. I appreciate this very much though, and it made me feel like the interviewers were looking to make a "best fit" selection for the job instead of just filling a desk. It raised my opinion of this company even further.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

Met them at the university career fair where they directed everyone they spoke to to apply online. They then had an informal dinner the night before with the recruiters and a few recent graduates of the university whom they had hired. The interview the next day was very relaxed and conversational with only two or three behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What's the toughest assignment you've had while in school here?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview was straightforward and the interviewers were very professional and intelligent. Both of the interviewers had great depth in different engineering concepts and could relate many things to the oil and gas industry. Be prepared to speak on how perform technically as well as non-technical communication.

Geophysics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

Marathon recruited me at my university. Interview was pretty basic, covered my past research and did some behavioral questions. Honestly thought the interview went badly, but was given an offer the next day. This was just for an internship, so there was only the one interview. If going for full time, they proceed like most companies in this industry and fly you out for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received the offer the next day.

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

I only had one interview and I got cut after that so I don't know if there were multiple or not. The interview was over the phone and they put me on speaker phone with three employees who took turns asking me questions. The employees were a senior reservoir engineer, petrophysicist, and human relations. They didn't ask any behavioral questions. They asked about things I had on my resume.

Interview Questions

• What is the most important thing you learned from your previous work experience?   Answer Question

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil in May 2014.

Interview

Went through a recruiter. The process took about two weeks. The phone screen was highly technical. It was with the HR rep and the Tech manager that spoke in Engineer-ese the whole time. Not a great experience.

Based on location.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

The interview and hiring process were both very painless. Once the interview happened and the offer was accepted, it took about a week and a half to get everything sorted out with the background check and the drug testing. Definitely very happy to be working for the company and see myself working here for a long time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

2 part interview, first with HR, and then with the respective department. Culture was very relaxed and both interviewers seemed to want to know your true interest.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the history of Marathon.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Norman, OK) in September 2013.

Interview

I went to the Career Fair at my university. I went by the Marathon booth and gave them my resume. Later that night they called me for a next day interview and I accepted the interview. Overall, the process went extremely fast.