Marathon Oil Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

Geophysics Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

Marathon recruited me at my university. Interview was pretty basic, covered my past research and did some behavioral questions. Honestly thought the interview went badly, but was given an offer the next day. This was just for an internship, so there was only the one interview. If going for full time, they proceed like most companies in this industry and fly you out for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had to work with someone you didn't like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received the offer the next day.

Production Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil in May 2014.

Interview

Went through a recruiter. The process took about two weeks. The phone screen was highly technical. It was with the HR rep and the Tech manager that spoke in Engineer-ese the whole time. Not a great experience.

Based on location.

Drilling Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

The interview and hiring process were both very painless. Once the interview happened and the offer was accepted, it took about a week and a half to get everything sorted out with the background check and the drug testing. Definitely very happy to be working for the company and see myself working here for a long time.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in December 2013.

Interview

2 part interview, first with HR, and then with the respective department. Culture was very relaxed and both interviewers seemed to want to know your true interest.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the history of Marathon.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation.

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I had spoken to them at our universities career fair where they told us to apply online, which I did. I was not contacted for another 2 weeks until I was emailed saying they wanted me to do an interview with them which I set up at the school. They had some previous interns and current employees waiting out in the "waiting area" talking and answering any questions we had about Marathon or the position we were interviewing for. They then brought us back to the room where there were 2 ladies waiting. They mostly spoke about my resume, asking questions about it and a few behavioral. Was very relaxed and fun environment.

Interview Questions

I had another offer that was a better fit for me personally. Great company though. Very fast at getting back to you!!

Process Engineer/Kenedy, TX Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenedy, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Kenedy, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Got hired through a headhunter agency. Could never seem to make inroads with them until he pushed them hard. Interview at SA office was ok but HR girl gave me directions to the field office that got me lost. Made it late to the field interview but they were understanding fortunately.

Interview Questions

• Nothing of any real significance. Was hard to completely understand what they were wanting to ask. Clearly had zero actual process engineering experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Mostly spent time trying to clarify what the benefit package actually was. HR didn't do a great job of laying it out simply.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marathon Oil.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process, at their Houston headquarters. 1-2 interviewers at a time, 4 rounds of questions. Lunch with current younger employees gave an opportunity to ask questions about work/life balance, advancement opportunities, etc.

Interview Questions

• All questions were pretty standard. Mostly behavorial, "name a time that...", "what would you do if..." type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with the initial offer. They were very flexible with my start date.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

Single day process, you speak with 5 - 7 people and a decision is made within a week.

Interview Questions

• All standard interview questions. Much more emphasis is placed on cultural fit   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Lubbock, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

I initially met the recruiters at an information session at my university. After that I followed up connection with a dinner meeting. I had an interview and we discussed life situations and scenarios. It was majority based on life-scenarious

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question were teamwork scenarios. It was only brief questions asked about programming experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing was really negotiable for the internship

Software Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

All technical SAP questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing