Marathon Oil

Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.9

Accounting/Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2013.

I had spoken to them at our universities career fair where they told us to apply online, which I did. I was not contacted for another 2 weeks until I was emailed saying they wanted me to do an interview with them which I set up at the school. They had some previous interns and current employees waiting out in the "waiting area" talking and answering any questions we had about Marathon or the position we were interviewing for. They then brought us back to the room where there were 2 ladies waiting. They mostly spoke about my resume, asking questions about it and a few behavioral. Was very relaxed and fun environment.

Interview Questions

I had another offer that was a better fit for me personally. Great company though. Very fast at getting back to you!!

Geologist Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2013.

Requires finishing online application before interviewing.

Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marathon Oil.

Pretty standard interview process, at their Houston headquarters. 1-2 interviewers at a time, 4 rounds of questions. Lunch with current younger employees gave an opportunity to ask questions about work/life balance, advancement opportunities, etc.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were pretty standard. Mostly behavorial, "name a time that...", "what would you do if..." type questions.   Answer Question
    I was happy with the initial offer. They were very flexible with my start date.

Entry Level Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marathon Oil in February 2013.

I applied online on their website and forgot about it because they never called me in the past, then I received a phone call about one month later from a recruiter asking if I am still interested and if I will be available for a telephone interview. I said yes and was scheduled for an interview in 2 days' time. On the day of the interview, I was contacted by a Gulf of Mexico Exploration Supervisor. He started by introducing himself. The he asked me to introduce myself by telling them where I have been, what I have done. That is like saying, tell me about yourself? Then he asked me, “do you have the ability to work unrestricted in the United States? Will you need sponsorship now or in the future to work for Marathon Oil Corporation? He inquired, “Will you be willing to relocate if required?” Explain to me what you did in your thesis? Tell me about your current job? How is your professional relationship at your current place of work? That is, how are you getting along with your co-workers? Have you worked in exploration team before? Have you used Petra and petrel software before? Tell me software you have used in the past or that you are currently using?

Then, he explained to me the responsibility the candidate for the position will be assuming if hired, before asking, tell me a time your suggestion was useful in a team work setting? Was your suggestion accepted? Then he told me the basic salary for the position. Finally, he asked me, "do you have any question for me?” He told me that they are in the starting phase of the interview, thus that it may take a while before I will hear from them, and the phone interview was over.

I did not hear from them until exactly month after the interview. But I called the company after 3 week for the outcome but got no response from my call. Eventually I got an e-mail saying it was great speaking with me, that they are continuing their search.

Interview Questions
    • I will say, when he asked me if I have worked in exploration team before. He did not give me a single second to respond and moved on to another question.   View Answer

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marathon Oil in August 2012.

Single day process, you speak with 5 - 7 people and a decision is made within a week.

Interview Questions
    • All standard interview questions. Much more emphasis is placed on cultural fit   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil in April 2012.

I initially met the recruiters at an information session at my university. After that I followed up connection with a dinner meeting. I had an interview and we discussed life situations and scenarios. It was majority based on life-scenarious

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question were teamwork scenarios. It was only brief questions asked about programming experience.   Answer Question
    Nothing was really negotiable for the internship

Software Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in February 2012.

All technical SAP questions

Nothing

Electrical Engineer Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil in January 2012.

I answered an email through my school's engineering system by replying with my resume. I was invited to a technical interview on campus. After the interview I waited a couple of weeks and got a call from the HR department offering me the co-op.

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in December 2011.

They sat me down,
    then they asked me where i am currently in school.
    They asked about my extracurricular activities.
    Then they asked me about my work experience.
    They wanted me to explain everything about what i did
    who i worked with, and how i contributed to the project.
    They then wanted to know if i had questions for them
    and answered any questions i had and explained the
    answers they gave me.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil in November 2011.

I signed up for an interview on my university's website. The interview only took about 30 minutes and the interviewers are very friendly.