Marathon Oil

Relevance Date Difficulty

Adv Facilities Specialist Interview

Adv Facilities Specialist
Dickinson, ND

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Marathon Oil in August 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview from a very nice, knowledgable, & persuasive HR Manager (who since left the Company & was replaced by a winch). She talked to me for a good 1/2 hour & informed me that she will be making a decision based off this first phone interview as to whether or not I will receive another phone interview from who would ultimately be my Supervisor. I received another phone interview several days later from my future Supervisor which lasted one full hour, this was a very thorough interview. Approximately 2 weeks later they invited me (flew me) out to ND for an in-person & group panel interview. I felt comfortable, the people were nice, & the interview questions were actually very laid back. The environment was professional & I was excited to work for this Company. I sent them a followup letter stating my desire to work for them 3 business days after this interview. Seven business days later (which felt like an eternity), I recieved a phone call from my Supervisor offering me the position. Upon accepting, I was put through a rigorous background check, physical fitness examination, drug screen, etc. and 4 weeks later I was finally onboarded.

Interview Question – Have you ever been involved in a situation where a contractor's employee was not adhering to safety procedures & if so, how did you handle this issue/confrontation. What was the end result? Did you ever work with an employee who was difficult to get along with and how did you handle it? They really didn't throw any curve ball/difficult interview questions my way, the questions were fairly basic/standard knowledge type inquiries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate any terms; however, I believe if you are strongly qualified & have credentials you are in the drivers seat to negotiate because they are paying top dollar for consultants (doing the same work while NOT conforming to Company policies) who are very sub-par in my opinion.

Software Analyst Interview

Software Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Oil in February 2012.

Interview Details – All technical SAP questions

Interview Question – Performance tuning   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern
Lubbock, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Oil in April 2012.

Interview Details – I initially met the recruiters at an information session at my university. After that I followed up connection with a dinner meeting. I had an interview and we discussed life situations and scenarios. It was majority based on life-scenarious

Interview Question – The most difficult question were teamwork scenarios. It was only brief questions asked about programming experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was really negotiable for the internship

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Oil in December 2011.

Interview Details – They sat me down,
then they asked me where i am currently in school.
They asked about my extracurricular activities.
Then they asked me about my work experience.
They wanted me to explain everything about what i did
who i worked with, and how i contributed to the project.
They then wanted to know if i had questions for them
and answered any questions i had and explained the
answers they gave me.

Interview Question – Tell me about Your Job Experience.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Geologist Intern Interview

Geologist Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2011.

Interview Details – The company visits our school every year, this year the interviews were conducted through the university's carreer center. We had to fill an application at the company's website and select a time slot for the interview. At the time of the interview we had to provide a copy of out transcript and then proceed with the Q&A session.
I then received an offer from them within two days and accepted the next day.

Interview Question – Have you ever been working in teams and a problem started? and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Oil in October 2011.

Interview Details – The initial meeting with two representatives from the company and subsequent discussion led to a sit down interview where I was made to feel extremely comfortable and important. This proved to be one of the most pleasant and enjoyable interview experiences I have ever had. I was made to feel welcomed rather than judged, which allowed me to be more honest and better describe my qualifications.

Interview Question – Have you covered a key concept in your studies, here at your university, and incorporated it into your real, everyday life? If so, what was the topic and how did you implement it?   Answer Question

Geoscience Intern Interview

Geoscience Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Oil in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process went very smoothly. People were nice and genuine. Only thing I would change is the Geologist who interviewed me was rather intraverted and awkward at times throughout the interview.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult problem you faced in a team setting, and how did you and your team overcome the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had no need to negotiate salary, their initial offer was morethan expected. However I was able to pish back my deadline a week or so for a little extra time to decide which offer suited me best.

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Oil in November 2011.

Interview Details – I signed up for an interview on my university's website. The interview only took about 30 minutes and the interviewers are very friendly.

Interview Question – Your past experience   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern
Houston, TX

Interview Details – I signed up for an interview on the campus website. After being accepted for an interview, I scheduled an on campus appointment. I then interviewed with a Marathon Oil engineer on the college campus. I had one, 30-45 minute interview in which I was asked a variety of questions about why I wanted the job. I was also given a few behavioral questions. The questions were very reasonable; there were no curveballs or truly unexpected subjects that came up during the interview.

Interview Question – Name a time when you under performed and how it affected you.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Oil in August 2011.

Interview Details – My experience with the application and interview process with Marathon Oil was very good. I utilized the services of my university's career services office and submitted my resume through their website. Marathon requires a minimum GPA of 3.0; however, they only interview a small number of applicants and everyone who received an offer from our school had at least a 3.5 GPA. I was notified the monday after the deadline to apply that I had received an interview. The day before the interview was the job fair for those in most STEM fields where I was able to meet many prospective employers and I stopped by the Marathon Oil boothand introduced myself, informing them I would be interviewing with them the following day. The recruiters were very polite and helped me to prepare further for my interview by answering my questions about the company.

I dressed in nice slacks, a nice open collared shirt, a necktie, and a blazer for the interview. The recruiters took note of how well I was dressed (dressing like you care makes a big impression). They asked me about my school work, about my past jobs, and how they could help me in the future as an engineer. They ask you to

Throughout the interview the recruiters continue to take notes on everything you say, and not just what your response was. They also take note of what seemed to be "buzz words." For instance, I believe it was noted when I brought up the terms "safety" "teamwork" "leadership" and things like that.

I also brought a portfolio with extra copies of all of my documents (resume, transcript, etc.) and I took notes myself throughout the interview. I had questions prepared to ask about student loan repayment, possible locations for internships, and whether or not interns could receive health care through the company for the duration of their employment. I made solid eye contact and spoke with confidence.

I was interviewed by two Marathon Oil employees. One is an engineer himself, and the other is in human resources in "talent acquisition" (fancy terminology for recruiter). They were both extremely polite and helpful. They also went about the interview in a way to learn as much about me as possible, unlike some other interviews I have had with other companies where it feels like the interviewer is an automaton who just asks generic questions and moves on.

I would recommend this company to anyone considering my experiences thus far, and if you don't get an offer the first time, find out why you weren't chosen, fix it, then try again.

Interview Questions

• -provide an example of a time you were working on a team and ran into a problem, then how was that problem resolved   Answer Question
  • -provide an example of a time you ran into a technical problem as a individual and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question
  • -provide an example of a time you were working in a group where one member was very difficult to deal with and you you overcame that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations. The pay for interns is based on college level and GPA (i believe)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marathon Oil