Marathon Oil Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

2.9

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in November 2011.

Interview

I signed up for an interview on my university's website. The interview only took about 30 minutes and the interviewers are very friendly.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

The initial meeting with two representatives from the company and subsequent discussion led to a sit down interview where I was made to feel extremely comfortable and important. This proved to be one of the most pleasant and enjoyable interview experiences I have ever had. I was made to feel welcomed rather than judged, which allowed me to be more honest and better describe my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Have you covered a key concept in your studies, here at your university, and incorporated it into your real, everyday life? If so, what was the topic and how did you implement it?   Answer Question

Geophysicist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

Interview

The entry level Geophysicists of Marathon require permanent residence or citizenship. Therefore, they decline me at first, but still give me a interview practice :) all questions are normal HR style.

Interview Questions

• Describe your role and work in a team and how did you deal with people with different views.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

Application

Interview

I showed up at the career fair, walked up to their booth, showed them my resume, and was granted an interview. I was interviewed by an HR personnel and an IT personnel panel style, The questions ranged from personal experiences and knowledge in my field to how I handle situations and different leadership scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Tell of a time you came up with a solution to a problem.   Answer Question

IT Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

The hiring and interview process, as with any large company, takes a long time. In my experience, I needed to be relocated from another city so it made the wait a little longer. MRO first scheduled a phone interview then a in-person interview then finally made the offer. From start to end it took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• Transitioning from a different industry it was difficult to answer questions in a way that an Oil and Gas professional would.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Seemless as both parties agreed on the terms from the start

Geoscience Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process went very smoothly. People were nice and genuine. Only thing I would change is the Geologist who interviewed me was rather intraverted and awkward at times throughout the interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult problem you faced in a team setting, and how did you and your team overcome the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had no need to negotiate salary, their initial offer was morethan expected. However I was able to pish back my deadline a week or so for a little extra time to decide which offer suited me best.

Engineering Intern Interview

Application

Interview

I signed up for an interview on the campus website. After being accepted for an interview, I scheduled an on campus appointment. I then interviewed with a Marathon Oil engineer on the college campus. I had one, 30-45 minute interview in which I was asked a variety of questions about why I wanted the job. I was also given a few behavioral questions. The questions were very reasonable; there were no curveballs or truly unexpected subjects that came up during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you under performed and how it affected you.   Answer Question

Legal Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

Marathon was very open and communicative during the interview process. At OCI, they provided frank impressions of the work/life balance and were realistic about the time-line and what went into their decision making process. They were accommodating of my time and travel when scheduling the in-house interview. During the interview, I was given a tour of the building (beautiful!) and the benefits were explained. It was welcoming and warm, the facilities were very impressive. I interviewed with two sets of people. They asked challenging questions and pressed me about my career goals. They tested me on my knowledge of the industry and current trends. They explained positions available and the opportunities I would be given if I came to work for them. After the interview process, there was some delay in a final decision. I heard from the recruiters often and never felt forgotten. Ultimately, they made an offer and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• You will make a lot more money working as a landman. Why do you want to work as a lawyer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because it was an internship, I did not feel comfortable negotiating. They were flexible on start date.

Geologist Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

The company visits our school every year, this year the interviews were conducted through the university's carreer center. We had to fill an application at the company's website and select a time slot for the interview. At the time of the interview we had to provide a copy of out transcript and then proceed with the Q&A session. I then received an offer from them within two days and accepted the next day.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been working in teams and a problem started? and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Entry Level Petroleum Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marathon Oil (Houston, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

I was invited for an interview on campus, which was basically a 2:1 interview. It was a 30 minutes interview focusing on both behavioral and technical background. Questions like: Why do you want to work at Marathon? Tell me about you graduate research thesis? Tell me about your experience working as a ....? What are you short term and long term goals? etc. I was invited to for the second round interview in another 2 weeks at Marathon Houston office. It was a 3-set 2:1 interview, lasting for 45 minutes each, back-to-back, 2 hours 15 minutes total. For the most part, the interview was a technical, referencing my past experience in different positions and specific roles I played in those positions. The interviewers persistently slip in behavioral questions while I was answering those technical questions. I can say that was a bit rigorous, cos I could not predict what was coming next during the interviews.

Interview Questions

• What aspect of petroleum engineering (or course) do you like most and the least? Why those areas? Why do you want to work at Marathon? Tell me about you graduate research thesis? Tell me about your experience working as a ....? What are you short term and long term goals?   Answer Question
    • What were you responsibility when you worked as....? Tell me a time when someone in a team was not performing his/her duty and what did you do? What will you do when your immediate supervisor is not complying with stated standards? How do you learn? Give me a time that your work was criticized when you were working as...? While you worked as..., has your idea ever been rejected? How did you handle the situation? Explain what step you took to complete the tasks that were given to you when you worked as...? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? A time you had a dispute with your colleague and how did you resolve it? A time you were in charge of a group of people and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate cos I was applying for an entry level position, even though I had some few years of experience. I was given a mind-blowing offer which I couldn't decline anyways - better than what any of the Majors around would offer.