Marathon Petroleum

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Garyville, LA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by a second interview with various supervisors and peers from the morning to the early afternoon. This required a site visit, tour of the facility. Most of the one on one interviews were not overly intense.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Marathon?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Co-op Interview

Mechanical Engineer Co-op

Interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview Details – There were two engineers and one HR rep in the interview. I felt comfortable. It felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview Details – Sit down interview with HR representative and Marketing Department representative. Asked a lot of behavioral type questions. Tried to feel out how you would fit into the company culture. Asked questions about prior work and educational background. Explained all the different positions for the internship. Very nice people and made the situation very comfortable.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you missed a deadline and what you did you fix your mistake?   Answer Question

Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical Engineer) Interview

Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical Engineer)
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in November 2011.

Interview Details – Submitted application at school job fair, then received a call for on site interview the next morning. After on site interview it was about a week before receiving the call for the job offer. I then submitted a medical evaluation, official transcripts, and my salary offer was determined from current grades and amount of school completed.

Interview Question – What is your most valuable strength and when was an important use of that strength?
What is your biggest weakness and when did you encounter problems it created for you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a co-op there was no negotiation other than a choice on what city I would prefer to work in based on openings.

Process Engineer I Interview

Process Engineer I
Canton, OH

I applied online and interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview Details – Mostly was focused around "soft skill" questions rather than engineering - "how do you handle conflict?" etc. I think mostly they were trying to get a feel for how you approach issues in general. A chem engineering degree is needed for the position so they basically assume you know the technical aspects, or that they can train you on that.

Interview Question – "Talk about a time where you were able to get more done by working with a team."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - everything was set in stone

Accounting Interview

Accounting

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview Details – Interview process lasted about a half hour; was a part of the Job Fair at my university. Talked to the recruiters at the fair and they had me meet the next day with them. Like I said, took about a half hour and was standard behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Please describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult member of the group   Answer Question

M&TE Engineer Interview

M&TE Engineer

Interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview Details – Easily the best interview process I have ever experienced. HR is on the ball, they are kind and courteous and actually try to work with your schedule. The interviewers genuinely care about getting to know you as a potential employee and how well you will fit into the company.

Interview Question – Make sure to do your research on the company and the position you are interviewing for.   View Answer

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Findlay, OH

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in June 2013.

Interview Details – I had three interviews, one in person. Received an offer, and then was put under increasing pressure to relocate sooner than we had agreed. Was told the position was open for some time and they needed someone right away. Yet, I had no place to live. Was told there was one place they could recommend as all the corporate housing was taken. The place made such outrageous demands for my pets and wanted to lock me into a one year agreement...for corporate housing! Marathon was of no help whatsoever in making this a smooth transition. I had to rescind my acceptance.

Interview Question – What specifically did I do to deal with an employee with performance issues.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Initially accepted, but then declined due to increasingly inappropriate demands for my transition date and the lack of the company finding me corporate housing for temporary lodgings.

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Electrical Engineering Co-Op

Interviewed at Marathon Petroleum

Interview Details – There were two people when I did the interview. One was a HR person and the other was a chemical engineer from the company. They were basically looking for a student who is able to do a co-op in the company for 3 terms, which is about a year. For the interview, the questions they asked were more like behavioral questions rather than technical questions. I believe they asked me 4 behavioral questions. And, the questions were similar to what I had expected. After the interview, they told me that I should get a notice within a month. I had really enjoyed the interview with Marathon Petroleum.

Interview Question – There was no technical question or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

Interview Details – campus interview

Worked for Marathon Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!