Marathon Petroleum

Updated Sep 10, 2014
Updated Sep 10, 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

First was company introduction. Then individual introductions of the two VPs and a HR associate. All behavorial and resume questions. No technical. Never got a decision after the interview, which was promised to be within the following week.

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Two VPs came with a HR associate. Asked general questions. Spent most of the time talking about the company themselves. No technical question. Never heard back from them after the interview.

Plant Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Texas City, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Basic testing and STAR interview questions conducted in front of 4 interviewers. Each interviewer took a turn asking a different STAR questions and they would write the answers and score each answer. If you passed those, you were asked to take a physical which included drug testing, heart monitoring, breathing test, flexibility test, climbing test, valve opening test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, union dictated rate of pay.

In-House Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Findlay, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

You are required to do an online interview before an in-person interview. You record yourself with a webcam answering canned questions--there is no interviewer, the questions appear on your screen, and you have a certain amount of time to record your response. After that, you are called in to Findlay for an in-person interview. That included a panel of interviewers (all attorneys) as well as one-on-one interviews with business people with whom you'd regularly interact in the position.

Interview Questions
    • They want specifics about your current employment, more so than I expected.   Answer Question

Tech Services Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in April 2013.

30 min interview through my college. Pretty straight forward interview. It helps to talk to the representatives prior to the interview. Marathon conducts a face to face interview with an HR rep and a engineer. The HR might not understand what you are saying, but the engineer will so make sure you don't make stuff up.

Interview Questions
    • They ask behavioral questions such as "describe a time when..."   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Garyville, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garyville, LA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Phone interview, followed by a second interview with various supervisors and peers from the morning to the early afternoon. This required a site visit, tour of the facility. Most of the one on one interviews were not overly intense.

Mechanical Engineer Co-op Interview

There were two engineers and one HR rep in the interview. I felt comfortable. It felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Marketing Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Sit down interview with HR representative and Marketing Department representative. Asked a lot of behavioral type questions. Tried to feel out how you would fit into the company culture. Asked questions about prior work and educational background. Explained all the different positions for the internship. Very nice people and made the situation very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you missed a deadline and what you did you fix your mistake?   Answer Question

Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical Engineer) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in November 2011.

Submitted application at school job fair, then received a call for on site interview the next morning. After on site interview it was about a week before receiving the call for the job offer. I then submitted a medical evaluation, official transcripts, and my salary offer was determined from current grades and amount of school completed.

Interview Questions
    • What is your most valuable strength and when was an important use of that strength?
      What is your biggest weakness and when did you encounter problems it created for you?
        Answer Question
    As a co-op there was no negotiation other than a choice on what city I would prefer to work in based on openings.

Process Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online - interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Mostly was focused around "soft skill" questions rather than engineering - "how do you handle conflict?" etc. I think mostly they were trying to get a feel for how you approach issues in general. A chem engineering degree is needed for the position so they basically assume you know the technical aspects, or that they can train you on that.

Interview Questions
    • "Talk about a time where you were able to get more done by working with a team."   Answer Question
    No negotiation - everything was set in stone

Worked for Marathon Petroleum? Contribute to the Community!