Marathon Petroleum

Updated Jan 16, 2015
Updated Jan 16, 2015

2.7

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

I went to a Marathon table at my school's job fair and they said they were looking for interns. I was excited because I was looking for an internship so I gave them my resume. A week or so later, they emailed me to do a HireVue interview online where I recorded my answers. About a week after I recorded my answers they sent me an email asking me for my transcripts. I sent them, and only a couple days later they gave me an offer. I thought it was weird that they offered the internship to me without having someone ever talk to me in person or ask me any questions that were not through a computer screen.

Project Controls Specialist (Co-op) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Phone interview with HR recruiter and department supervisor. The first set of questions will most likely come from HR and will include your basic interview questions i.e. strengths, weaknesses, "tell a time that you were faced with adversity in the work place and how did you overcome it", etc, etc. If you look up basic interview questions and rehearse before the interview, one should be prepared for HR questions. Expect a lot of questions from your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Any question asking about a previous experience that you encountered.   Answer Question
    Salary is pretty much predetermined for the position based on a couple of factors i.e. experience, gpa, and department.

IT Co-Op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

I had an in-depth phone interview with them due to my location. It was very behavioral intensive. They asked me a lot of questions about my work experience, examples of working on a team, examples of how I found solutions to various problems, how my work experience has helped me develop, and even questions about my transcript. There were no technical questions, but the questions were still very tiring, and I felt like I was getting grilled for a lot of things.

Interview Questions

Location was too much of an inconvenience, got a more relevant part-time job closer to home with a better company in my opinion. I also felt that Marathon was a bit pompous in how prominent of a company they are.

Accounting Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

The interview was done through the school career services. There were 2 interviewers, one asked questions and one took notes. There was a HR professional and the accounting manager. Smooth process, one of my first interviews and I felt very comfortable.

No negotiation

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoneton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoneton, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum in October 2014.

A lot of behavioral based questions from your resume. Two interviewers. One from HR and one from your department. Took about a half an hour. Offered position to me over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a difficult member in your group.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Finance Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Two VPs came with a HR associate. Asked general questions. Spent most of the time talking about the company themselves. No technical question. Never heard back from them after the interview.

Intern Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

First was company introduction. Then individual introductions of the two VPs and a HR associate. All behavorial and resume questions. No technical. Never got a decision after the interview, which was promised to be within the following week.

Plant Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Basic testing and STAR interview questions conducted in front of 4 interviewers. Each interviewer took a turn asking a different STAR questions and they would write the answers and score each answer. If you passed those, you were asked to take a physical which included drug testing, heart monitoring, breathing test, flexibility test, climbing test, valve opening test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, union dictated rate of pay.

In-House Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

You are required to do an online interview before an in-person interview. You record yourself with a webcam answering canned questions--there is no interviewer, the questions appear on your screen, and you have a certain amount of time to record your response. After that, you are called in to Findlay for an in-person interview. That included a panel of interviewers (all attorneys) as well as one-on-one interviews with business people with whom you'd regularly interact in the position.

Interview Questions
    • They want specifics about your current employment, more so than I expected.   Answer Question

HES Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in August 2014.

Very thorough resume based interview. Not many opinion or experience based questions. Very interested in my background and certifications. Interviewed by a diverse group with a multitude of interests in the company.

Interview Questions

Better offer from another company.