Marathon Petroleum Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.6

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in February 2015.

Interview

I met the recruiter at the career fair, and he was very nice; seemed very interested. The interview was next day, and was very easy. After meeting with the recruiter, he was very nice and only asked me behavioral questions. I was told I should hear back in a few weeks so we'll see! Fingers crossed.

IT ServicesBusiness Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Toledo, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

I went to the Marathon Petroleum booth at my college's career fair. FIrst, they are very friendly people. I was asked to meet their IT person, who was was talking to someone else. I met him, shared my resume. The IT recruiting team there really liked my resume and set up an interview with me. That night, I got an interview confirmation call. The interview was set for next morning. The interview went well. (See below for the interview questions). I heard back about a month and a half later with an offer for the Fall. I graciously accepted it.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions - Know your Resume.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time when you have gone above and beyond.   Answer Question
    • Leadership Experience - Challenges you faced as a leader and how did you tackle it   Answer Question
    • What SQL code will you write to select all elements from a table?   Answer Question
    • A few specific questions about one the organization I was involved in and how we recruit more members.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

I went to a Marathon table at my school's job fair and they said they were looking for interns. I was excited because I was looking for an internship so I gave them my resume. A week or so later, they emailed me to do a HireVue interview online where I recorded my answers. About a week after I recorded my answers they sent me an email asking me for my transcripts. I sent them, and only a couple days later they gave me an offer. I thought it was weird that they offered the internship to me without having someone ever talk to me in person or ask me any questions that were not through a computer screen.

Interview Questions

• All easy, behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Refinery Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Detroit, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

interview was a basic interview. Transparency of the the hiring process is highly suspicious. Their is no feedback on how you did at the interview or after the interview. It it seemed like the interviewers were going through the motions and not really paying attention to the answers given I think they had the people they had in mind already picked. They did not get back to me in the 2 week time frame they said they would. When I finally reached human resources I was told the decision was made a couple of days after the interview. The hiring process is bogus and the interviewing process is bogus. What a joke.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult employee or team member?   1 Answer
    • have you ever failed at accomplishing a goal?   Answer Question

Project Controls Specialist (Co-op) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

Phone interview with HR recruiter and department supervisor. The first set of questions will most likely come from HR and will include your basic interview questions i.e. strengths, weaknesses, "tell a time that you were faced with adversity in the work place and how did you overcome it", etc, etc. If you look up basic interview questions and rehearse before the interview, one should be prepared for HR questions. Expect a lot of questions from your resume.

Interview Questions

• Any question asking about a previous experience that you encountered.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is pretty much predetermined for the position based on a couple of factors i.e. experience, gpa, and department.

IT Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

I had an in-depth phone interview with them due to my location. It was very behavioral intensive. They asked me a lot of questions about my work experience, examples of working on a team, examples of how I found solutions to various problems, how my work experience has helped me develop, and even questions about my transcript. There were no technical questions, but the questions were still very tiring, and I felt like I was getting grilled for a lot of things.

Interview Questions

Location was too much of an inconvenience, got a more relevant part-time job closer to home with a better company in my opinion. I also felt that Marathon was a bit pompous in how prominent of a company they are.

I&E Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hammond, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Hammond, IN) in November 2014.

Interview

Took a test at a local hotel conducted by HR, upon passing technical test (math, Plc, measurements), was offered an immediate interview with the regional manger. Later had a phone interview a few weeks later, than a site visit with manager to tour facility and job duties.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when u had an emergency situation and had to work in unsafe conditions? Why are u interested in this company? How did u deal with conflict?   Answer Question

Unfortunately, salary & compensation as a whole was insufficient. I would have loved to accept the position, otherwise.

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

The interview was done through the school career services. There were 2 interviewers, one asked questions and one took notes. There was a HR professional and the accounting manager. Smooth process, one of my first interviews and I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoneton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum (Phoneton, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

A lot of behavioral based questions from your resume. Two interviewers. One from HR and one from your department. Took about a half an hour. Offered position to me over the phone.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had a difficult member in your group.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview

First was company introduction. Then individual introductions of the two VPs and a HR associate. All behavorial and resume questions. No technical. Never got a decision after the interview, which was promised to be within the following week.