Marathon Petroleum

2.8

Process Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Mostly was focused around "soft skill" questions rather than engineering - "how do you handle conflict?" etc. I think mostly they were trying to get a feel for how you approach issues in general. A chem engineering degree is needed for the position so they basically assume you know the technical aspects, or that they can train you on that.

Interview Questions
    • "Talk about a time where you were able to get more done by working with a team."   Answer Question
    No negotiation - everything was set in stone

Accounting Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum.

Interview process lasted about a half hour; was a part of the Job Fair at my university. Talked to the recruiters at the fair and they had me meet the next day with them. Like I said, took about a half hour and was standard behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult member of the group   Answer Question

M&TE Engineer Interview

Easily the best interview process I have ever experienced. HR is on the ball, they are kind and courteous and actually try to work with your schedule. The interviewers genuinely care about getting to know you as a potential employee and how well you will fit into the company.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure to do your research on the company and the position you are interviewing for.   View Answer

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

There were two people when I did the interview. One was a HR person and the other was a chemical engineer from the company. They were basically looking for a student who is able to do a co-op in the company for 3 terms, which is about a year. For the interview, the questions they asked were more like behavioral questions rather than technical questions. I believe they asked me 4 behavioral questions. And, the questions were similar to what I had expected. After the interview, they told me that I should get a notice within a month. I had really enjoyed the interview with Marathon Petroleum.

Interview Questions
    • There was no technical question or unexpected question.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

campus interview

Refining Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Marathon Petroleum in September 2013.

Behavioral questions, very understanding interviewers, great HR and engineering representatives. I really liked the two interviewers because I had met on through my TA professor, and I clicked with the other interviewer during career fair. It was a comfortable, relaxed, and very encouraging environment,

Interview Questions
    Phone call and email with HR

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum in June 2013.

I had three interviews, one in person. Received an offer, and then was put under increasing pressure to relocate sooner than we had agreed. Was told the position was open for some time and they needed someone right away. Yet, I had no place to live. Was told there was one place they could recommend as all the corporate housing was taken. The place made such outrageous demands for my pets and wanted to lock me into a one year agreement...for corporate housing! Marathon was of no help whatsoever in making this a smooth transition. I had to rescind my acceptance.

Interview Questions
    • What specifically did I do to deal with an employee with performance issues.   Answer Question

Initially accepted, but then declined due to increasingly inappropriate demands for my transition date and the lack of the company finding me corporate housing for temporary lodgings.

Business Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Findlay, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum in June 2013.

Provided resume via online website. Was contacted about 2-3 weeks later via an email. The HR representative asked if I'd be interested in a half hour phone interview, I accepted. The phone interview was nothing over complicated she asked about my resume and probed me with questions concerning behaviour. Some of the questions pertained to how my work/schooling conincided with Marathon and also how I would fit into the company. The phone interview went well and was asked tocome meet for lunch the following day with the hr rrepresentative and one of the supervisor's of the position. The lunch interview was meant for discovering more aspects of the job because alot of it is highly secret and can't be disclosed to the public. The supervisor mainly asked about my education and how I could make a difference at Marathon. I was told at the end of the interview that they would get back to me within a week after they reviewed other canidates. They called however the next day and offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing daunting just make aure to know your resume and how it relates to the outside world.   Answer Question
    None, offered me a high hourly wage.

Scheduler Interview

Completed a phone interview with the hiring managers. All behavior based questions: Tell me a time you had a conflict with a co-worker, how did you solve it? Tell me a time you did something against policy to get the job done. What are your biggest strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you went against policy to get a job done?   View Answer
    They don't really budge on anything for new hires from college. The salary you are offered is the final offer and vacation is definitely set at 2 weeks. You might be able to request more moving bonus money depending on how far you would have to move.

Tech Services Co-op Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marathon Petroleum in April 2013.

30 min interview through my college. Pretty straight forward interview. It helps to talk to the representatives prior to the interview. Marathon conducts a face to face interview with an HR rep and a engineer. The HR might not understand what you are saying, but the engineer will so make sure you don't make stuff up.

Interview Questions
    • They ask behavioral questions such as "describe a time when..."   Answer Question