Marchex Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2014

2.9

Marketing Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marchex in April 2014.

Emailed my resume and got a call back couple weeks later. Spoke with Brian for about 20 minutes regarding the company. He said the position is new and they are still formulating how things will go.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marchex.

Interview/recruiting team is stellar. Vanessa makes the process a breeze and is always open for communication along the way.

No negotiation for hourly positions.

Training Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marchex in January 2012.

After submission of application if you meet the minimum standards you will receive a phone screening with a recruiter. If you pass the phone screening you may be asked to interview with the hiring manager either over the phone or in person.

If you complete a phone interview you may be asked to attend an in person interview. Most in person interviews are multi-part even for entry level positions. You can expect to meet with at least 3 people including the recruiter you did your phone screening with.

Depending on the position you're applying for the in person interview may last several hours (developer/programmer and management) or only an hour (entry level). For programmers or mid-level management expect a lengthier interview and possible a second in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Learn the lingo. If there are any phrases you are not comfortable with in the job description or company website look it up. Especially for entry level positions even a basic grasp of digital marketing industry, pay per click or call analytics is a big plus.   Answer Question
    During my in person interview I was asked my current salary. Since they hire all entry level as temp-to-hire I asked for matching salary. When I converted to full time I received a small increase.

My recommendation is to push for the highest you can get, even entry level. The company has very strict rules and processes for raises and promotions. Even merit based raises have severely restricted boundaries. This means that you can't expect to ever "catch up" if you start at a lower rate. They will base your later pay scale on your initial salary.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marchex in October 2013.

Heard from Marchex a week after career fair. Spent 2 hours interviewing with 3 groups of recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special, design a game. BST. Pair-work writing test cases.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

It would be nice If Marchex would respond back to those you have interviewed for positions
    (either via phone or in person) and due them honor of saying "thank you for applying but we are moving in another direction" Not sending back a simple email asking for a status of the process shows your company has a long way to go in the ethics department

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Marchex in August 2013.

Extremely unprofessional in the hiring process. Phony excuses and promises to keep stringing people along, not saying Yes or No. It's been a month now.

Phone and onsite which takes 4-5 hours. If all goes well, another round of interviews with VP and a PM. Basic algorithm questions and number theory question on prime number that is on the easy side. I went through all the steps fine and took out another chunk of time to meet with the VP and the PM and at every step, the internal recruiter has asked me if I would accept the role should they offer.

Received positive feedback and internal HR promised an answer next day. Nothing, but an excuse about some all day company meeting. Then another promise of decision at the end of week, came and went, still nothing. I reached out to HR directly, and again was another excuse saying, the hiring manager was on the cusp of saying something but got busy and he will reach out to me next week. It's been a month, and I haven't bothered with them.

Interview Questions
    • nothing really difficult, but they seem to want people that cater to exactly what they are doing. ie. they use RoR and I mentioned scalability issues with default ORMs, they seem to take that as an offense (especially the VP) vs embracing different opinions and understand the issue. They use index cards for SCRUM, and they again seem to take offense that I prefer a software system that helps me keep track of sprint statistics... etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Marchex in November 2012.

I met a group of employees at a college campus career fair. My research experiences melded with their techniques and they scheduled an in-person interview right away. It took place a week or so later at their headquarters. Everyone I met was very friendly and welcoming. The interview process was just a few hours that day. The first hour was spent answering technical questions. The next hour was spent talking to two engineers about my experience, although I believe this was atypical. Usually, an interviewee would do some pair-programming I believe. After that, I was given a brief tour of the offices and given a bag of swag. I was not offered a position, and my theory is that I was not experienced enough as a programmer.

Interview Questions
    • They had me write pseudo-code for a simple card game, first listing out all the possible methods one might need for any card game. Then writing out code for a game of War.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Marchex in March 2012.

Mostly informational interview held at the nearby Starbucks. Person I met with was knowledgeable and we had a good discussion about the position and requirements. I left the interview not 100% sure what exactly they wanted from the person filling the open position or what the job really was. They made a last minute change to my schedule and I am not sure the person I met with was as knowledgeable as he could have been about the open position.

Temporary Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marchex in September 2010.

At the time I was interviewed, the department I was interviewing for was hurting for people. Therefore, the whole process was very quick. I was referred by an employee and then reached out to by HR for a phone interview. After a quick phone interview, I was scheduled for an in person interview with the Captain and Lead of the team at the same time. I was impressed by the presentation of the office; however, the captain and lead were both wearing extremely casual clothes.The overall in person interview with the two probably did not take any longer than 25 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about an experience where you had to handle multiple projects at one time and felt overwhelmed.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was not an option for the temporary campaign management position.

Optimization Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marchex.

I though the interview was straight forward and not very challenging. However, this may have been somewhat out of the ordinary, because I was interviewing for a contract position. First round was a standard phone interview with a recruiter: Walk through resume, what I'm looking for, why I want to work there. Second round was with an executive. It was originally supposed to be with a vp level, but they had to reschedule. It was a casual conversation about my experience, goals, and I had plenty of time to ask questions and learn about the company. Final round was 4 - 30 minute interviews with different members of the team. Walked through some of my experience, then was asked common behavioral questions about how I would approach various situations. Received offer a couple days later.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question
    Contract position did not include benefits, but I was able to negotiate on hourly rate. I gave a reasonable counter offer and it was accepted.

Worked for Marchex? Contribute to the Community!