Marcus Evans Conference Producer Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marcus Evans (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

I received a voicemail around 4:30 pm so I responded about an hour and a half later when i had time, and was surprised that even though the building's switchboard said all businesses were closed, the recruiter was actually still at her office well after closing. I'm not sure if that should be surprising. The initial phone interview was kind of a standard explanation of the position, a bit of back-&-forth over my qualifications, until I was finally invited in for a 1:1 interview the next day.

At the 1:1, we talked a lot about the position, the pay structure, my qualifications again, and there were a few typical interview questions that I'll outline below. At the end of this interview, I was asked if I would be interested in pursuing the next phase of the hiring process by creating a mock conference agenda. Ultimately I decided not to because of the fairly dismal salary offer, for which there is zero negotiation. When I asked them what their training program was like, the interviewer said it was a three day crash course. I could only infer then, that after that, I would be thrown to the wolves to begin working on I know not what.

The salary structure is 30k/yr plus commissions. That said, you're going to be spending a lot of money either commuting to downtown or paying rent to live in downtown. Your check will also have your health/vision/dental insurance premiums taken out (you qualify for their insurance after three months), and finally there's your basic state and federal taxes. Considering that the first commission you could receive is only 6 or 7 months into the job (you spend 25 days making a conference, and then the sales and marketing team get 6 months to book guests for it; you get your commission when the event itself happens), this isn't much to pay bills and live on. Furthermore, the position is salaried but the workload requires a lot of overtime to meet their objectives. And if you commute, then you'll basically have no life outside of this job.

Interview Questions

• Aside from your fluency in your second language, what unique skill do you think you could bring to the firm that other candidates could not?   Answer Question

The salary is pitiful compared to the work/life balance (or lack thereof).

Other Interview Reviews for Marcus Evans

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marcus Evans (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

first, one interview by phone, clarifying my goals and expectations and a brief of the position

then one to one interview and they ask me to do a "project" to show my language skills

second interview one by one again,

never call me to say yes/no

Interview Questions

• why I should be hired without considering my language skills (my strength for that position)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marcus Evans (Chicago, IL) in August 2009.

Interview

The interview was fine overall. I had to prepare a fake conference before I met with my interviewer. He liked my product as I walked him through it and asked me meaningful questions. Really it was a fine interview with fair questions asked of me. I wish the experience of the interview would have at all be replicated in my actual experience working for the company.

Conference Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marcus Evans.

Interview

Went through 3 stages of interviews - first was just an introduction to the job and to assess my suitability. Then met with GM, and finally was required to prepare a conference writeup and presentation.

Interview Questions

• Very general questions. You should know about your past experiences and know how they link to the job you are applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated on the salary and was successful.

Conference Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marcus Evans (London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

Initial phone interview was pretty simple - the just want to hear your phone manner as you will be spending most of your time on the phone.

First 1:1 interview was quite tough they really grill you about your past experience.

You are then asked to complete a project which is a mock one day conference on the sector you will be working in. You submit this by email and the next interview is where you are asked to defend the project, this is a horrible and intense experience they are very agressive but it is here that you actually have a true representation of the company and what working for them will be like.

Interview Questions

• If you were to produce a conference what would the topic be?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, if you are not happy with the salary then you should apply for a differnt job.

Conference Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marcus Evans (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)) in March 2010.

Interview

I attended 3 interviews, with 3 different groups of people.
    1. The Conference Director (CD) - She given me an assignment to complete within 3 days.
    2. The CD and the Conference Manager - Presentation of the assignment
    3. Deliver another same presentation to the Regional Director

Basically I applied for a entry-level position, but they liked my ideas and presentation. Therefore, they moved to me a more senior level division and more duties and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• Why did I change my career, from technical to event management? (I was previously a chemical engineer)   2 Answers

Conference Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Prague (Czech Republic)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marcus Evans (Prague (Czech Republic)) in November 2008.

Interview

i had two interviews. the first one was very informal and just asking about experience and previous roles. then she asked what i was interested in and what i knew about the role and company. she then asked me some questions about the economy. for prep for the second interview, she had me prepare a mock conference agenda.

Interview Questions

• create a detailed mock conference agenda for a 2 day summit on new product development strategies   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was no negotiation phase