Marcus Evans

Average Difficulty
76 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marcus Evans in May 2014.

Interview Details – Found job posting online for account executive position in the Chicago area. Talked on the phone with HR and then had an in person interview with sales manager. First half of the in person interview was behavioral based interview questions and the second part was understanding position. They handed me a packet of the job position, company culture, etc... and went into great detail so I had absolutely no questions at the end. I heard back from them a couple days later to do my second in person interview. The homework for this interview was to find 10 people to sell their product too (seats for a conference).

Interview Question – What are some positives and negatives of working in competitive sales environment   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Event Sponsorship Interview

Event Sponsorship
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Marcus Evans in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online through LinkedIN and was called almost immediately. The interview was basic sales questions, asking why I'm interested in the position, what intrigues me about sales. After the initial phone interview I went in for an in person interview. It went very smoothly and we went over the position. I was required to do a project after the interview before coming in for a second. The project was to find 5 companies who would be good as sponsors for an event and what 10 executives I could contact to try and win the account. However, the salary for this position was an extremely low base with commission rates starting out real low. I did not go on the second interview.

Interview Question – Why are you not pursuing a career in your field of study from college?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Very low base salary.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and interviewed at Marcus Evans.

Interview Details – Communication was on point. Follow up from the company in regards to phone interview/ in person interview confirmation and information on preparation for interview was on point as well. Didn't wait long for interview and felt as though it was informative and direct.

Interview Question – Why did you turn down any job offerings if any before this interview.   Answer Question

Sales Executive Summit Division Interview

Sales Executive Summit Division
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marcus Evans in May 2014.

Interview Details – Four interviews. Phone with manager. And then face to face with manager, director and CEO. Standard questions. With the exception of the two below. I received an offer letter. However it was contingent on two letters of recommendation from former employers.

Interview Question – Two items through me. Role play with director. "Sell me something, anything" (I don't do well role playing. Be prepared! ) Have you ever made an error and got out of it? Lied or covered it up. (I have made errors, corrected them. But never lied. They want to see if you can think on your feet. If you are a seasoned professional, making a career change, think of the minor things you had to do, in the beginning, for success. Ex. Cold calls, lead prospecting. These are all entry level positions. They want to make sure you can do grunt work. My big hurdle was coming from real estate to B 2 B sales. Think about that. Make sure you sell them on it. Looking back, these were my weaknesses during the process. I hope it helps someone!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. It is all spelled out. Merit system.

Production Interview

Production
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marcus Evans in January 2011.

Interview Details – Structured interview process.

Interview Question – You will be given a project to develop a conference content. Please be sure to develop the content in your own words after researching the market online. Understand the topic given well. Be sure to look at the competitor events and make it better. Avoid textbook language usage.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marcus Evans in July 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews, the last one with the director.

Interview Question – Tell me a joke or story off the cuff.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. They pay everyone the same at the starting position. You don't come in as a manager.

Summit Division - Solution Provider Sales Interview

Summit Division - Solution Provider Sales
San Diego, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Marcus Evans.

Interview Details – Information was upfront about what my daily, monthly, yearly expectations and role would be including what the base salary is and that they want someone interested in the commission instead of a high base.

Interview Question – Why did you leave your last company where you were making more money?   View Answer

Account Executive Conferences Interview

Account Executive Conferences
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marcus Evans in August 2012.

Interview Details – They always start off with the phone interview first. Asking a series of questions, just to get a sense of what you're about. If you pass that, they schedule a time for you to come in and interview with either a manager or the director. The interview begins in the lobby. There's some foot traffic in the lobby and that usually includes some of the other managers or the director and they are checking you out: what you have on, your posture, facial expression, etc. And that is a deciding factor of whether or not you can "handle" the job. once you're in, it's a pretty standard job interview, going over the position and the pay structure etc. There's always a second round, where they'll ask you to bring in 10 leads you found on your own and a sales pitch you wrote. You'll meet with a different person maybe even two people at once.

Interview Question – During the phone interview, the two most unexpected questions were to describe an instance in which you were competitive and what your biggest fear is.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It is very important to note there is no salary negotiation for a sales position, regardless of how much experience you have. There is pressure to accept if they want you. They expect an answer on the spot, but if you need time, stand your ground and ask for it.

Very Easy Interview

Cold Caller Interview

Cold Caller
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marcus Evans in August 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by two face to face interviews. The phone interview was very basic with questions about past experience and goals as well as an overview of the position. Second interview was a lot of the same and they presented the salary and commission structure and gave expectations of what you should make. Third was a bit of devils advocate to try and throw you off and make you think on your feet.

Interview Question – Must write a sales pitch that you would give for one of their events but they give you very vague instructions, they judge more on the delivery than the content.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marcus Evans in December 2009.

Interview Details – 3 total Interviews (1 Phone Interview; 2 Face-to-Face Interviews)
Phone Interview was 15 minutes long
First Interview was 1 hour long
Second Interview was 40 minutes long

Interview Question – What makes you uncomfortable?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After 2 Face to face Interviews they calle me a few days later and offered me the position which I accepted immediately.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marcus Evans

Worked for Marcus Evans? Contribute to the Community!

Marcus Evans Videos

Marcus Evans – Why Work for Us?

Producers of Economic and Business Summits, strategic Business Conferences, Professional Business and Language training, Corporate Hospitality events - THG Sports Filmed & Theatrical Entertainment and Ipswich Town… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marcus Evans interview questions and advice. All 76 interview reviews posted anonymously by Marcus Evans employees and interview candidates.