Marcus & Millichap

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in May 2014.

Interview Details – It was extremely easy. I applied online. The first interview was a phone call to see how interested you were in real estate. The next interview was in person with the office manager. The third interview was with the regional manager. 4th interview was to tell me they wanted to hire me.

Interview Question – None. Was a casual conversation to make sure you are interested in real estate and that you are okay working on commission only.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Marcus & Millichap

Interview Details – Interview was pretty straight forward. I think they were just looking for my ability to articulate my thoughts. Their business models involves getting as many people in place to succeed, with the thought that the cream will rise to the top and the dead wood will move on.

Interview Question – How do you expect to manage the expectation of not closing a deal for at least 6 months?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview Details – I went in as a new comer to the real estate business. I sat in on a presentation by the hiring regional manager. He was to the point and explained the company's objectives and direction using a Power Point Presentation slide show. The presenter mentioned out of a room of 25 people he only had one opening, which was a bit nerve wrecking.

Interview Question – After the presentation, I went in for a second interview and noticed a discrepancy in the material presented. The commission split was not as he had presented at the first interview. Perhaps this was a way to dissuade me from going further. He was also firm about the long hours required without pay realistically for two years. I was very discouraged and didn't see a point in pursuing this job any further.   View Answer

Commercial Real Estate Broker

I applied online and interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview Details – You have to attend a presentation conducted by the regional manager and after they call you for an interview. The interview questions are nothing out of the norm. Pretty basic questions and a personality test. After that they will call you and tell you if they like you or not .

Interview Question – No difficult questions at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 100% commission based. No negotiation needed.

Commercial Real Estate Broker

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in January 2009.

Interview Details – One interview. Must follow up on your own. Only persistent people get hired here.

Interview Question – Greatest weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Commission only, so no real negotiation here. Just convince them that you can make money in order to get hired.

Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in August 2012.

Interview Details – SA LA VIE! I didnt want it anyway. I got to the Roseville office on time but was kept waiting 15 minutes. The interview did NOT lead to a position offer. I will respect the interviewer and not reveal this persons name. I am not here to talk badly about this person either. My impression is that he was trying to see if I could work there based on what HE thinks can sell. He appears aggressive but that doesnt bother me. I am casual. I am aggressive when I need to be. I think he made up his mind in about the first 3 minutes of this interview. This interviewer was direct with me which was fine. I asked for clarification on something and had to re-state my question because I was a bit nervous. I wanted to know what type of person they are looking for. He mentioned aggressive, sociable.

I dont think I got a chance to say much about myself though. I have sold before. TIP: WEAR A TIE. I didint. I am a free thinker. I dont want to look like everyone else. More on this later. Dont say you have a caring personality type either. I am guessing caring will come across in this persons eyes as weak . Not sure if this guy was having a bad day or what. He thinks he knows how to judge an applicant. Ok, my heart wasnt in it anyway. I had this sense before I even got there. He didnt ask me about the company background. If you"re going to be on the phone all day then why not just do network marketing? He was stating that there could be 2-5 grueling interviews. You could have no income for 1-2 years. Sounded like a prep to let me go. He didnt say much about the training I'm guessing because he already made up his mind at that point. 99 percent of business is generated on the phone. Uh, dude, I've worked the phones. I sincerely hope this helps you. This wasnt meant to be for me. At least in network marketing you can get some training on sales and a better understanding of why people buy. This wasnt a good interview for me. Maybe I was off my game. This is my way of paying it forward.

As I left I did see alot of ties hanging on the interviewers door. Everyone has their own style.

Interview Question – Why commercial real estate   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was very relaxed. Was asked about my background and also to walk through my resume. Asked me about what I knew about the industry and what had drawn me to look at real estate in the first place. Explained that the job was completely commission based and I probably would not make a deal until after the first year realistically.

Interview Question – No technical questions, very straight forward.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in June 2010.

Interview Details – When first going in to interview with them, I met with the Head Broker at the Manhattan Office. He took his time out to sit with me for about an hour to talk about my resume, and the firm's capabilities. They ask a lot of questions and encourage you to ask as well.

After the first visit, they brought me in another time to explain more about the firm, complete a personality test, and let me talk with a couple of their brokers. Overall, they did a very thorough job of having me understand exactly what they were expecting, and what I should be expecting.

Interview Question – Why would I choose to work with someone as young as yourself, when I can work with someone who has been in the business 20 years and has sold several buildings already?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered a job at another firm, otherwise I would have chosen to work with them.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in March 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward and upfront. A sales manager sat me down and told me it would be 60+ hours per week to start off with, cold calling some 300 prospects a week. He asked about relevant sales experience, and asked direct questions about whether it would be a problem for me to do all that cold calling. Definitely seemed to expect me to know a good deal about the company going in. Clearly a lot of interviews going on, something of a cattle call.

Interview Question – How do you expect to handle the pressure of making a lot of cold calls if you don't have much experience at it?   View Answer

Elmwood Park, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in July 2008.

Interview Details – I found the job information on the monster.com (or something similar - cannot remember exactly at the moment) and found out who the regional manager was at the office that I was interested in working for by visiting their website directly. Then I cold called him directly & got lucky by getting directly through to him when I asked for him by his name. I told him that I was interested in working for the company & that I wanted to personally drop off my resume that day. He said he might be busy and may not be able to meet with me, but that i can give it a shot.

I lived about an hour away from the office, but I drove directly to the office that afternoon & tried to meet him with my resume... However, he was busy & was not available to see me that day, so I left my resume with the receptionist. I believe this was Thursday. Then I got a phone call personally from the regional manager the following Monday saying... "I didn't know that you lived an hour away from our office... and drove all the way down to drop off your resume. Why don't you come on by this week to meet with me in person."

After about an hour of one on one interview with him personally in the conference room & the rest was history... I got my NJ real estate license over the summer & went through their 3 month in office training followed by 5 day bootcamp training in LA and passed the test. Then my job began...

Interview Question – How are you going to be able to pay for your living expenses for the next year or so?   View Answer

Worked for Marcus & Millichap? Contribute to the Community!