Marcus & Millichap Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.7

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

Simple questions about my past with pointers and insight about job. Very informal seeming, especially when the sales manager took a cell phone call during the interview. Basic questions to get to know me, see if I am literate basically. Not the side of the industry I was really trying to get into, but good experience and opportunity to speak with another firm in the CRE Industry.

Interview Questions

• Can you stay afloat for a year before you start making money?   1 Answer

Not feeling the broker/runner side of the business.

Other Interview Reviews for Marcus & Millichap

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

Basically it was just like a normal interview, he looked over my resume and asked questions. We talked about how it is a 100% commission based job with no salary, and I expressed my qualms with that aspect. In the end, I didn't accept because to me starting a job shouldn't be a risky venture, it should make life more stable.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever cold called before?   1 Answer

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

Entry-level position that requires little to no experience. I was interviewed by one of their Regional Managers. Began with a simple resume walkthrough and questions about interest in commercial real estate. This job is 100% commission based, and you are required to participate in their 3 month training program which YOU have to pay almost $2000 to do. Coming in with little to no experience, you will not make a single dime for a period on at least 8-12 months.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to sell off your stocks and other investments to support yourself during the 8-12 month period where you would be making no money?   Answer Question

Due to it being 100% commission based, and having to pay almost $2000 for a training program created too much financial risk. Also, I was asked personal questions about how much I had in savings and investments. The Regional Manager asked if I would be willing to sell off my stocks I own to support myself during this time period. This was a ridiculous request in my opinion, and creates a large amount of risk for someone who is fresh out of college and trying to support themselves.

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

It was extremely easy. I applied online. The first interview was a phone call to see how interested you were in real estate. The next interview was in person with the office manager. The third interview was with the regional manager. 4th interview was to tell me they wanted to hire me.

Interview Questions

• None. Was a casual conversation to make sure you are interested in real estate and that you are okay working on commission only.   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Interview

Interview was pretty straight forward. I think they were just looking for my ability to articulate my thoughts. Their business models involves getting as many people in place to succeed, with the thought that the cream will rise to the top and the dead wood will move on.

Interview Questions

• How do you expect to manage the expectation of not closing a deal for at least 6 months?   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I went in as a new comer to the real estate business. I sat in on a presentation by the hiring regional manager. He was to the point and explained the company's objectives and direction using a Power Point Presentation slide show. The presenter mentioned out of a room of 25 people he only had one opening, which was a bit nerve wrecking.

Interview Questions

• After the presentation, I went in for a second interview and noticed a discrepancy in the material presented. The commission split was not as he had presented at the first interview. Perhaps this was a way to dissuade me from going further. He was also firm about the long hours required without pay realistically for two years. I was very discouraged and didn't see a point in pursuing this job any further.   1 Answer

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

You have to attend a presentation conducted by the regional manager and after they call you for an interview. The interview questions are nothing out of the norm. Pretty basic questions and a personality test. After that they will call you and tell you if they like you or not .

Interview Questions

Negotiation

100% commission based. No negotiation needed.

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Roseville, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

SA LA VIE! I didnt want it anyway. I got to the Roseville office on time but was kept waiting 15 minutes. The interview did NOT lead to a position offer. I will respect the interviewer and not reveal this persons name. I am not here to talk badly about this person either. My impression is that he was trying to see if I could work there based on what HE thinks can sell. He appears aggressive but that doesnt bother me. I am casual. I am aggressive when I need to be. I think he made up his mind in about the first 3 minutes of this interview. This interviewer was direct with me which was fine. I asked for clarification on something and had to re-state my question because I was a bit nervous. I wanted to know what type of person they are looking for. He mentioned aggressive, sociable.

I dont think I got a chance to say much about myself though. I have sold before. TIP: WEAR A TIE. I didint. I am a free thinker. I dont want to look like everyone else. More on this later. Dont say you have a caring personality type either. I am guessing caring will come across in this persons eyes as weak . Not sure if this guy was having a bad day or what. He thinks he knows how to judge an applicant. Ok, my heart wasnt in it anyway. I had this sense before I even got there. He didnt ask me about the company background. If you"re going to be on the phone all day then why not just do network marketing? He was stating that there could be 2-5 grueling interviews. You could have no income for 1-2 years. Sounded like a prep to let me go. He didnt say much about the training I'm guessing because he already made up his mind at that point. 99 percent of business is generated on the phone. Uh, dude, I've worked the phones. I sincerely hope this helps you. This wasnt meant to be for me. At least in network marketing you can get some training on sales and a better understanding of why people buy. This wasnt a good interview for me. Maybe I was off my game. This is my way of paying it forward.

As I left I did see alot of ties hanging on the interviewers door. Everyone has their own style.

Interview Questions

• Why commercial real estate   1 Answer

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Was very relaxed. Was asked about my background and also to walk through my resume. Asked me about what I knew about the industry and what had drawn me to look at real estate in the first place. Explained that the job was completely commission based and I probably would not make a deal until after the first year realistically.

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

When first going in to interview with them, I met with the Head Broker at the Manhattan Office. He took his time out to sit with me for about an hour to talk about my resume, and the firm's capabilities. They ask a lot of questions and encourage you to ask as well.

After the first visit, they brought me in another time to explain more about the firm, complete a personality test, and let me talk with a couple of their brokers. Overall, they did a very thorough job of having me understand exactly what they were expecting, and what I should be expecting.

Interview Questions

• Why would I choose to work with someone as young as yourself, when I can work with someone who has been in the business 20 years and has sold several buildings already?   Answer Question

I was offered a job at another firm, otherwise I would have chosen to work with them.