Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.5

Commercial Loan Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in September 2014.

This was a very strange interview process. I sent in a resume and was asked to come in and interview. When I arrived, there was another young gentleman sitting in the lobby who had already been waiting for a half an hour for his interview. Long story short, I waited for almost an hour past my interview time and was taken in and only give 10 minutes to answer very brief questions about my experience. The man interviewing me was disinterested and did admitted he did not remember looking at my resume.

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Entry-level position that requires little to no experience. I was interviewed by one of their Regional Managers. Began with a simple resume walkthrough and questions about interest in commercial real estate. This job is 100% commission based, and you are required to participate in their 3 month training program which YOU have to pay almost $2000 to do. Coming in with little to no experience, you will not make a single dime for a period on at least 8-12 months.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to sell off your stocks and other investments to support yourself during the 8-12 month period where you would be making no money?   Answer Question

Due to it being 100% commission based, and having to pay almost $2000 for a training program created too much financial risk. Also, I was asked personal questions about how much I had in savings and investments. The Regional Manager asked if I would be willing to sell off my stocks I own to support myself during this time period. This was a ridiculous request in my opinion, and creates a large amount of risk for someone who is fresh out of college and trying to support themselves.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in May 2014.

Resume screening straight to in-person interview. Didn't have a phone interview. Questions only on very basic real estate knowledge and more on attitude/career goals. Had to take an excel test later but it was very basic, no real estate related formulas or anything. Skills for the job were described as easily learned and they didn't seem too fixed on any particular skill set coming in.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just basic (biggest strength/weakness type stuff).   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in May 2014.

It was extremely easy. I applied online. The first interview was a phone call to see how interested you were in real estate. The next interview was in person with the office manager. The third interview was with the regional manager. 4th interview was to tell me they wanted to hire me.

Interview Questions
    • None. Was a casual conversation to make sure you are interested in real estate and that you are okay working on commission only.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Typical sales job by the District Manager, smoozing the agent, with no detail and then hit them with reality after they've moved your license over. There were details of my job that were not in the employment contract. This caused friction for the next year and half and never got resolved.

Interview Questions
    • None really, except how much did you make at your highest point   View Answer
    Back and forth for a week.

Intern Interview

Very Straight forward. Found opportunity online, sent in resume, interview set up the following week. Received word 1 business day later

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in West Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Nice people very chill interview. Submitted my resume and they called the same day.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing to out of the ordinary. I think the most important thing is that they have a feel for how serious you are about working in the industry.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Phone with Regional Operations Manager (10 mins) and scheduled physical for next day. Physical with Regional Manager (1.5 hours) and had Phone with Corporate Operations Manager same afternoon (2 hours). Took online skills assessment next day, which was more personality/behavioral (3+ hours). Then they stopped communicating with me cold after that.

Commercial Real Estate Sales Agent Interview

The guy who interviewed me was an absolute jerk. Started doodling while I was talking to him. Acted condescending and seemed very unprepared. Made the company seem very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you be a good fit for real estate sales? (was literally the only question asked. he decided he'd rather sit there and have me ask questions the entire time than prepare questions he wanted to ask me)   Answer Question

SIP Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interviewed with one senior broker who would be mentoring me and supervising me. Next interview was with second senior broker who would also be mentoring me. Third interview met with regional manager. Senior brokers selected who to hire but regional manager had to approve of choice in final interview. There was also a personality trait test ("NEO") and a Microsoft Excel test.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic stuff, i.e. How do you compute a CAP Rate? Why do you want to work in real estate?   View Answer
    "You can have the job if you can start next Monday."