Marcus & Millichap Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.5

Agent Assistant Interview

Interview

Applied online, received a call within a few days. Agent asked why Marcus & Millichap and if I one day wanted to pursue RE license, and if I wanted to one day become an agent in the office.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview consisted of a phone pre-interview and then an in-person interview. make sure that you can get to or live in the area of where you are applying. Traveling will not be reimbursed. The in-person interview started with a general conversation with the regional manager about strengths, why this company, goals, and future. Then if that intervietw goes well, he takes you to potential mentors and seniors in the office that would be hiring for the future positions and this can be 2 additional interviews or 5 depending on the time and the office. These are the bread and butter of the interview process and are ultimately the guys that you will be mentored by and will work on splits with. Then you leave and they followed up in the next two days and gave results and what area to focus in.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose this office and this market?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy: its a 100% commission based position so not a lot to negotiate.

Financial Analyst/Agent Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Applied and received an quick email response the following day for me to call a phone number. I called the number multiple times throughout the next few days with no response. A month later received another email to set up an interview. The interview went well. They offered and I declined the low offer.

Low offer

Commercial Loan Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap in September 2014.

Interview

This was a very strange interview process. I sent in a resume and was asked to come in and interview. When I arrived, there was another young gentleman sitting in the lobby who had already been waiting for a half an hour for his interview. Long story short, I waited for almost an hour past my interview time and was taken in and only give 10 minutes to answer very brief questions about my experience. The man interviewing me was disinterested and did admitted he did not remember looking at my resume.

SIP Investment Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Brooklyn, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Went in fro 4 interview very repetitive. Want to see you have an interest and passion for real estate. What you know about real estate and why you want to get into it. Working directly under a senior broker you don't get to choose. John Horowitz is the regional manager and you must show your excitement to him don't hide emotions

Interview Questions

didn't like person I would be working under

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

Interview

Entry-level position that requires little to no experience. I was interviewed by one of their Regional Managers. Began with a simple resume walkthrough and questions about interest in commercial real estate. This job is 100% commission based, and you are required to participate in their 3 month training program which YOU have to pay almost $2000 to do. Coming in with little to no experience, you will not make a single dime for a period on at least 8-12 months.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to sell off your stocks and other investments to support yourself during the 8-12 month period where you would be making no money?   Answer Question

Due to it being 100% commission based, and having to pay almost $2000 for a training program created too much financial risk. Also, I was asked personal questions about how much I had in savings and investments. The Regional Manager asked if I would be willing to sell off my stocks I own to support myself during this time period. This was a ridiculous request in my opinion, and creates a large amount of risk for someone who is fresh out of college and trying to support themselves.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Resume screening straight to in-person interview. Didn't have a phone interview. Questions only on very basic real estate knowledge and more on attitude/career goals. Had to take an excel test later but it was very basic, no real estate related formulas or anything. Skills for the job were described as easily learned and they didn't seem too fixed on any particular skill set coming in.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, just basic (biggest strength/weakness type stuff).   Answer Question

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

It was extremely easy. I applied online. The first interview was a phone call to see how interested you were in real estate. The next interview was in person with the office manager. The third interview was with the regional manager. 4th interview was to tell me they wanted to hire me.

Interview Questions

• None. Was a casual conversation to make sure you are interested in real estate and that you are okay working on commission only.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marcus & Millichap (Ames, IA).

Interview

Typical sales job by the District Manager, smoozing the agent, with no detail and then hit them with reality after they've moved your license over. There were details of my job that were not in the employment contract. This caused friction for the next year and half and never got resolved.

Interview Questions

• None really, except how much did you make at your highest point   1 Answer

Negotiation

Back and forth for a week.

Intern Interview

Interview

Very Straight forward. Found opportunity online, sent in resume, interview set up the following week. Received word 1 business day later