Marcus & Millichap

Updated Jan 8, 2015
Updated Jan 8, 2015

2.5

Associate Broker Interview

Got contacted by the Manager and scheduled an interview for a week later.

Overall the interview was very straight forward; looked over resume. I took a personality tesT

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

I went in as a new comer to the real estate business. I sat in on a presentation by the hiring regional manager. He was to the point and explained the company's objectives and direction using a Power Point Presentation slide show. The presenter mentioned out of a room of 25 people he only had one opening, which was a bit nerve wrecking.

Interview Questions
    • After the presentation, I went in for a second interview and noticed a discrepancy in the material presented. The commission split was not as he had presented at the first interview. Perhaps this was a way to dissuade me from going further. He was also firm about the long hours required without pay realistically for two years. I was very discouraged and didn't see a point in pursuing this job any further.   View Answer

Intern Interview

receive email after work, seems like randomly interview people who applied the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in July 2013.

Got contacted by the Manager and scheduled an interview for a week later. I've arrived about 20 minutes early, so to have time to review my resume and strong points. There was a lot of materials on the waiting area, which gave me a few extra points that I didn't have on my regular research.
    The manager was very professional and we were able to relate almost immediately, since our past and present activities coincided.
    Overall the interview was very straight forward; looked over resume, talked about the things i can offer the company and vice-versa. Once the interview was over, about an hour later, I took a personality test, which took me about 40 minutes to finish, and was asked to think about the position and provide an answer within a couple of days. I was also asked, in the case I had accepted the offer, to compose a business plan to demonstrate how I intended on achieving my goals within the company.
    So:
    Be prepared to spend at least 2 hours there.
    Research the company until you're fluent with the company's mission, activities and history.
    Arrive early in order to review your information and maybe learn new things.
    Try to relate to the interviewer; talk to the front desk person in order to learn things and make yourself more knowledgeable during the interview.
    Get familiar with sales, the real estate market and business planning concepts, since that'll help you in the long run.
    Make sure to send a thank you email later that day.

No negotiation necessary, this position is 100% commission. Be prepared when going on a interview with at least a comfortable cushion, between 6 - 12 months of saved salary.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in July 2013.

Got the call from the team after sending out a few feelers myself to the company. Got a ping back and eventually got the call. Got called in for an in-person. Met with the team lead then the VP of the group. Talked shop for a bit. Great feel. Job was to pretty much support and do research for the brokers.

Investment Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in June 2013.

If you have an interview scheduled here, don't get too worried. Put simply, they offer no base salary and all the money you might make will be from commission. Therefore, it costs them almost nothing to take on a a new hire. The turnover rate at a company like this is such that they will likely hire any person who seems like they have a decent head on their shoulders.

General First Round: Meet with a regional manager. Straight forward questions, they just want to hear a little about yourself and make sure that you decent speaking skills and a sliver of motivation.

Second Round: The regional manager may ask you a few more tougher questions, although very generic i.e. "what's your biggest weakness." You might then meet some other Investment Associates (Brokers) in the office.

That's pretty much it. They may make you take a personality test but it's strictly fluff and will by no means determine your candidacy.

I worked there for 17 months and I couldn't believe half the people they hired. Come in with a suit, and a small and be able to walk through your resume and you will get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What's your biggest weakness or why are you interested in real estate?   View Answer
    No negotiation. They offer you nothing except business cards and an eventual commission. You have to buy all your own stuff, laptops down to rubber bands and pencils.

Commercial Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I went into this knowing I had very little chance of being hired, seeing that my educational background and experience have very little to do with commercial real estate. However, I saw the position listed on my university careers website. To my surprise, I got called back by the hiring manager within a few hours. In my opinion, the guy had already made up his mind that he wasn't going to hire me before I went in for the interview, so I was kind of disappointed that he wasted my time as well as his own. The interview itself was pretty rough. You better be able to back up everything you say because he asks you "Why?" after every answer you give. He flat out told me that I wasn't a strong candidate towards the end of the interview, which I appreciated, rather than most hiring managers who tell you they will be in contact with you soon. I understand that it's business, never personal, but I would have appreciated it a lot more, however, if they guy didn't have such an arrogant air around him the entire time.

Interview Questions
    • Conversation somehow got steered to how I didn't want to move out of state for the "promise of maybe". He insinuated that it was because I wasn't adventurous (I'm actually quite adventurous) and proceeded to tell me how he moved his family across the country and he was adventurous because of it.   Answer Question

Investment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in April 2013.

they interview the mob...anyone and everyone. They offer only their time...no expenses.
    There is required reading and a test that is never referred to in the interview. They don't know what the outdated articles say. It serves to push the onus further on the candidate. They claim they want independant people but the interviews are one sided and they pay for nothing and charge the newly hired $3000. Perhaps their reputation buys this perpsective but not with me. I only see an alliterative name. A company that claims to be computer sophiscated because their first office was in Palo Alto in the 70's.

They don't ask demanding questions and don't offer germaine information about themselves. It's more like a mass recruiting of free drones.

Interview Questions
    • Wouldn't you be more comfortable living in an area of Obama supporters?   Answer Question

Associate Broker Interview

I had a sequence of 3 interviews. They want to see that you are aggressive and you follow through. I have heard of a manager not calling back to see that you will take the initiative and make the call again yourself.

Interview Questions
    • How much money is in your bank account?   View Answer
    None

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

You have to attend a presentation conducted by the regional manager and after they call you for an interview. The interview questions are nothing out of the norm. Pretty basic questions and a personality test. After that they will call you and tell you if they like you or not .

Interview Questions
    100% commission based. No negotiation needed.