Marcus & Millichap

2.5

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in February 2013.

Phone interview and then 1 or 2 in-person interviews, which are very intense because there are 4 managers there interviewing you. You have to complete a case-study, which is just some basic forecasting. The managers there prefer the educated guessing method rather than any sound statistical analysis. So, just use some basic supply/demand shift analysis. Don't bring in results from time-series regressions and expect them to understand them.

Interview Questions
    • Many of the questions were very broad. The one that will land you the job is something like this, "What do you do if you have assignments due, but then we get a call at 4pm saying our boss is going to be on the news that night and he needs some analysis, which will take hours to do, done right away?"   View Answer
    There is some negotiation room. You can make a counter-offer.

Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in February 2013.

The entire interview is designed to see if you are a people person. Other than that you have to take a sales test to see if you have sales traits, but other than that nothing to worry about. If you are sociable you can get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation in which you failed, and how did you overcome it.   View Answer

RE Research Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marcus & Millichap.

One phone interview and one in-person interview. Very straightforward/ moderate interview if you are actually interested and passionate about the job

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in August 2012.

SA LA VIE! I didnt want it anyway. I got to the Roseville office on time but was kept waiting 15 minutes. The interview did NOT lead to a position offer. I will respect the interviewer and not reveal this persons name. I am not here to talk badly about this person either. My impression is that he was trying to see if I could work there based on what HE thinks can sell. He appears aggressive but that doesnt bother me. I am casual. I am aggressive when I need to be. I think he made up his mind in about the first 3 minutes of this interview. This interviewer was direct with me which was fine. I asked for clarification on something and had to re-state my question because I was a bit nervous. I wanted to know what type of person they are looking for. He mentioned aggressive, sociable.

I dont think I got a chance to say much about myself though. I have sold before. TIP: WEAR A TIE. I didint. I am a free thinker. I dont want to look like everyone else. More on this later. Dont say you have a caring personality type either. I am guessing caring will come across in this persons eyes as weak . Not sure if this guy was having a bad day or what. He thinks he knows how to judge an applicant. Ok, my heart wasnt in it anyway. I had this sense before I even got there. He didnt ask me about the company background. If you"re going to be on the phone all day then why not just do network marketing? He was stating that there could be 2-5 grueling interviews. You could have no income for 1-2 years. Sounded like a prep to let me go. He didnt say much about the training I'm guessing because he already made up his mind at that point. 99 percent of business is generated on the phone. Uh, dude, I've worked the phones. I sincerely hope this helps you. This wasnt meant to be for me. At least in network marketing you can get some training on sales and a better understanding of why people buy. This wasnt a good interview for me. Maybe I was off my game. This is my way of paying it forward.

As I left I did see alot of ties hanging on the interviewers door. Everyone has their own style.

Commercial Real Estate Broker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in July 2012.

Was very relaxed. Was asked about my background and also to walk through my resume. Asked me about what I knew about the industry and what had drawn me to look at real estate in the first place. Explained that the job was completely commission based and I probably would not make a deal until after the first year realistically.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in June 2012.

One of my friends was an intern at a different department and she got me the interview. The interviewer and I communicated through email to set the appointment. To prepare myself for the interview, I thought about what my "So, tell me about yourself?" answer was going to be so I did not ramble on. I, also, thought about what my strengths and weakness were, and came up with a couple questions to ask the interviewer as well. There was only one interview. It was smooth, comfortable and shorter than expected. The office was beautiful and the people were nice, it seemed like an easy going place to work. They expect someone who shows initiative and is resourceful.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want out of the internship and their company?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in February 2012.

Very simple and easy. Met the person who was the head of the office at a career fair. I went up to Portland to talk to him. The interview was relatively informal. I went up again to talk to one of the Brokers and was offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Do you plan on working in this industry once you graduate.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in February 2012.

Very poor, Looking for skilled people but offer no benefits, Dont consider experience nor do they communicate very well with prospective employees. Possibly a good fit for a newbee. You get what you pay for!

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in January 2012.

Found offer online and applied. Was followed up with phone call/interview with nothing further. I think I was under qualified for the position.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marcus & Millichap in November 2011.

Very straight forward. Questions were mostly personality based.