Marin Software

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.1

N/A Interview

Recruiter was very responsive, however upon disclosing my current salary, they noted that it would be a stretch to offer something comparable. However, they still wanted to bring me for an in-person interview as my experience was well suited for the position stating that they were still researching the industry salary, etc. which should have raised red flags as my salary was the industry standard. Looking in hindsight, when I clearly disclosed my salary and the recruiter knew it was well above their targeted range for the position, that they should have not brought me for an in-person as it was a waste of everyone's time and resources.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in May 2014.

HR Screen - Phone interviews * 2 - 4 rounds of onsite interviews.
    The interview process is pretty smooth and I feel unexpectedly satisfied. First step is HR screen. HR will ask some general technical questions but nothing hard. Second step is two rounds of phone interviews - questions can be found in either leetcode or cc150 (all are same questions). Onsite is four rounds of interviews (I know people also got 3 or 5 rounds depending on specific performance). Questions are not hard but some of them need extra efforts. The interviewers are smart and extremely nice. They are very collaborative.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate network size (pretty like word ladder + edit distance), LRU cache, string calculator, e.g. (input: "1 + 10 * 5 + 4", output "55").   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate, the offer package is pretty nice.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marin Software in May 2014.

1 phone interview (coding) + 3 rounds face 2 face, took about 2 weeks.

Questions are all easy, can be found in leetcode. However, there are some tough behavior questions regarding your career plan.

I also asked how they made money and seems they had no idea about their future. Besides, the work they are doing everyday seems boring: use search engine APIs to support more market places, localization, etc.

I asked what's the most challenging work they face, and they told me to support more ad websites, support foreign websites, etc.

So basically their future work is to enhance the existing product to support more ad site in global regions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are mostly easy ones, all can be found in leetcode. Some behavior questions asked by the last manager about your career plan.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marin Software.

Apply through university career website.
    First round 30 minutes behavior interview. just talk about the resume and some basic data structure and algorithm questions. such as difference between set and list, Iterator, etc.. Second round is share-screen coding. Didn't do well in this technical interview, but the interviewer is pretty nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Marin Software in April 2014.

1st round: phone screening taken by non technical person. She had list of few questions.
    1. Why Collections.sort doesnt work for Set.
    2. What exceptions would you caught when converting string to integer.
    3. Collections.sort running time.
    4. Describe one of your project.

Software Engineer Interview

Phone interview Round 1... The HR just asked me to talk about my project experiences and some basic java questions.. such as the difference of TreeMap and HashMap, the time complexity of insertion. The only method Iterable interface has.. Exception types.. Then she is going to arrange the next round..

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software.

Phone interview took around 30 minutes, asked two coding questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in March 2014.

A HR interview with some java concept questions followed by two phone interviews. One is about find duplications within 0-n. The other asked about classic 2 sum and find median of two sorted lists. Hours later they invited to onsite. onsite is four round 1:1 interviews., write on white board. Except some very traditional questions which can be found on Leetcode, there are also some design and open-to-discuss questions. Over all, it's a rather pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, the whole interview process is nice and smooth.   View Answer
    They just offer me a base that more than I expected, so accept it

Software Engineer Internship Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Marin Software in February 2014.

First some information about the company and explained their business.
    Then asked some questions about Java and Algorithms.

1. Difference between Abstract class & Interface
    2. Difference between float & double
    3. What is overloading
    4. Average run-time for sorting algorithms
    5. What are the methods in Iterator

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in February 2014.

Applied online - got an HR screen a week later. Cleared it easily - just simple OOPS concepts and a couple of time complexity questions. Nothing out of the ordinary .

Next comes the technical phone screen, with coderpad. Not very friendly I must admit, she just asked if I had it open , after saying hello, and she asked me to find duplicates in a list. Simple enough, I gave her 3 solutions, in O(n^2), O(nlogn) and O(n), with clear explanation as to how I arrived at the time complexity.

Next, she said what if I had 50 trillion data entries - immutable and no additional data structures . I thought and said I'd hash it, use a multiset, and fumbled around a bit. Cost me the entire interview. But I kept asking her more details, gave her a couple of explanations about the hashcode method , overriding it, using XOR - all the stuff I could think of.

Got a reject a day later. Sigh.

Interview Questions
    • I guess it would be the additional constraints on the array of integers being immutable. That and the fact that it should run in linear time.   View Answer