Marin Software

www.marinsoftware.com

Marin Software Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in May 2014.

HR Screen - Phone interviews * 2 - 4 rounds of onsite interviews.
    The interview process is pretty smooth and I feel unexpectedly satisfied. First step is HR screen. HR will ask some general technical questions but nothing hard. Second step is two rounds of phone interviews - questions can be found in either leetcode or cc150 (all are same questions). Onsite is four rounds of interviews (I know people also got 3 or 5 rounds depending on specific performance). Questions are not hard but some of them need extra efforts. The interviewers are smart and extremely nice. They are very collaborative.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate network size (pretty like word ladder + edit distance), LRU cache, string calculator, e.g. (input: "1 + 10 * 5 + 4", output "55").   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate, the offer package is pretty nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marin Software.

Apply through university career website.
    First round 30 minutes behavior interview. just talk about the resume and some basic data structure and algorithm questions. such as difference between set and list, Iterator, etc.. Second round is share-screen coding. Didn't do well in this technical interview, but the interviewer is pretty nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Marin Software in April 2014.

1st round: phone screening taken by non technical person. She had list of few questions.
    1. Why Collections.sort doesnt work for Set.
    2. What exceptions would you caught when converting string to integer.
    3. Collections.sort running time.
    4. Describe one of your project.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in March 2014.

A HR interview with some java concept questions followed by two phone interviews. One is about find duplications within 0-n. The other asked about classic 2 sum and find median of two sorted lists. Hours later they invited to onsite. onsite is four round 1:1 interviews., write on white board. Except some very traditional questions which can be found on Leetcode, there are also some design and open-to-discuss questions. Over all, it's a rather pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, the whole interview process is nice and smooth.   View Answer
    They just offer me a base that more than I expected, so accept it

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in January 2014.

Someone from HR contacted me fairly quickly after I applied for this position. Judging from her LinkedIn profile, she was a well-seasoned recruiter that was highly recommended.

We step up a time for a 30 minute phone screening. I waited but I did not receive a call. I followed up and the HR contact apologized, saying she mistakenly put the time in her calendar for 2 hours after what we had confirmed. Ok, honest mistake, not a big deal.

We re-confirmed the same day for the time she initially had in her calendar. That time came and went. 30 minutes later, I received a voice mail that her previous meeting ran over and if we can reschedule. Ok, that's understandable. People are busy, this happens.

I followed up by voicemail and email to provide my availability to re-re-reschedule. I never heard back.

Strategic Customer Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in September 2013.

Very personal and organized interview process. They were looking to hire quickly, so the interview phase was no more than two weeks long and the offer letter was received the week after that. If they are motivated to hire, it can happen fast.

Interview Questions
    3 days long- 2 rounds of negotiating and I got a bump in salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Marin Software.

First was a phone interview with the recruiter. Beyond a couple standard resume questions, she asked a list of engineering questions, but as a recruiter she couldn't give any help. Most of them were pretty straightforward such as difference between abstract class and interface, what is 4 left-shift 2 XOR 2, what is the value of a number with all bits as 0 except the leftmost one, and explain a TreeMap. A couple were a little more vague such as what methods do you have to implement to make the object properly comparable, but still pretty easy.

Next was a technical phone interview with an engineer. The only official coding question I got was given 2 sets, determine if the second set is a subset of the first. However, from there as I explained my optimizations with a HashSet, he began asking more detailed questions about how a HashSet in implemented. That was all we really covered.

Final step was an on-sight interview with 4 successive engineers. 3 of them all asked me coding questions I had to write on the board, from standard tree questions, to simply getting the 10 greatest numbers in a list. Most of them were fairly easy, but often were worded strangely and clarification was often needed. 1 engineer asked me a completely design based question without any coding.

Interview Questions
    • Given a huge set of data in a list, say GB worth, how do you find the nth largest element?

I just wasn't sure what the point of the question was. It had nothing to do with distributed systems, map reduce, or anything, as the question's emphasis on large data seemed to suggest. The interviewer insisted you just had a normal machine with all the data there. Basically just turned into a standard find the nth larges element question. No idea if I approached it right, as the interviewer gave very little feedback.

View Answer

Front Desk/Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in April 2012.

According to the recruiter I aced the interviews however they decided to hire internally. Everyone was really nice and personable however the office was rather quite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marin Software in January 2012.

Date vs calendar
    long vs object long
    what is abstract class, how do you instantiate it ?
    int vs integer for counting number of times for loop runs
    worst case node addition time in BST
    hashmap node addition time
    hashmap methods - name any 7 of them
    what is a final class
    difference between private vs protected keywords
    difference between list and set

Interview Questions
    • what do you know about the company, describe industry exp.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marin Software in November 2011.

I got a call from HR regarding my interest and my skill sets.
    Then they set me up with telephonic Interview with the Director or QA.
    This was followed by another telephonic interview with EVP

Once I cleared that. they asked me to come on site for a series of Face to Face interview
    There were 7, 30 min 1:1 interviews back to back. They placed me in a conf room and every 30 mins people came in to interview
    I also had Lunch Interview with the EVP as well.

Each interviewer had a java programing question in mind and asked to code it on the white board. Some were tough ones and some were easy. eq, Str rev, Factorial, Fibonacci series. etc

There was one product manager who actually gave me their web tool and asked me to find bugs on it and actually asked me to file the bug in bugzilla, this was kind of cool.

Overall exp was good, they are free beverages which helped me

Interview Questions
    Since I had another offer from NYtimes it was easy for my negotiations