Marin Software

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in March 2014.

Interview Details – A HR interview with some java concept questions followed by two phone interviews. One is about find duplications within 0-n. The other asked about classic 2 sum and find median of two sorted lists. Hours later they invited to onsite. onsite is four round 1:1 interviews., write on white board. Except some very traditional questions which can be found on Leetcode, there are also some design and open-to-discuss questions. Over all, it's a rather pleasant interview experience.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, the whole interview process is nice and smooth.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They just offer me a base that more than I expected, so accept it

Marketing Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in January 2014.

Interview Details – Someone from HR contacted me fairly quickly after I applied for this position. Judging from her LinkedIn profile, she was a well-seasoned recruiter that was highly recommended.

We step up a time for a 30 minute phone screening. I waited but I did not receive a call. I followed up and the HR contact apologized, saying she mistakenly put the time in her calendar for 2 hours after what we had confirmed. Ok, honest mistake, not a big deal.

We re-confirmed the same day for the time she initially had in her calendar. That time came and went. 30 minutes later, I received a voice mail that her previous meeting ran over and if we can reschedule. Ok, that's understandable. People are busy, this happens.

I followed up by voicemail and email to provide my availability to re-re-reschedule. I never heard back.

Strategic Customer Director Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in September 2013.

Interview Details – Very personal and organized interview process. They were looking to hire quickly, so the interview phase was no more than two weeks long and the offer letter was received the week after that. If they are motivated to hire, it can happen fast.

Interview Question – Describe your worst work experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 3 days long- 2 rounds of negotiating and I got a bump in salary.

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Marin Software.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview with the recruiter. Beyond a couple standard resume questions, she asked a list of engineering questions, but as a recruiter she couldn't give any help. Most of them were pretty straightforward such as difference between abstract class and interface, what is 4 left-shift 2 XOR 2, what is the value of a number with all bits as 0 except the leftmost one, and explain a TreeMap. A couple were a little more vague such as what methods do you have to implement to make the object properly comparable, but still pretty easy.

Next was a technical phone interview with an engineer. The only official coding question I got was given 2 sets, determine if the second set is a subset of the first. However, from there as I explained my optimizations with a HashSet, he began asking more detailed questions about how a HashSet in implemented. That was all we really covered.

Final step was an on-sight interview with 4 successive engineers. 3 of them all asked me coding questions I had to write on the board, from standard tree questions, to simply getting the 10 greatest numbers in a list. Most of them were fairly easy, but often were worded strangely and clarification was often needed. 1 engineer asked me a completely design based question without any coding.

Interview Question – Given a huge set of data in a list, say GB worth, how do you find the nth largest element?

I just wasn't sure what the point of the question was. It had nothing to do with distributed systems, map reduce, or anything, as the question's emphasis on large data seemed to suggest. The interviewer insisted you just had a normal machine with all the data there. Basically just turned into a standard find the nth larges element question. No idea if I approached it right, as the interviewer gave very little feedback.
  Answer Question

QA Architect Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Marin Software in September 2011.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Screen, Long onsite i.e 6 interview with no lunch.

Interview Question – None of the technical questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Statements like "We cannot give you this much it will be a problem to other QA members" or "You need to talk to CEO if you need more" is complete BS. They can and have offered more to other people and they have even rejected Marin's offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marin Software in February 2010.

Interview Details – Very quick. Phone interview first with hiring manager. Then in the face to face you meet with a group of 3 sales associates that do the same role that you would be doing. Very casual interview, I felt very welcomed and that they were giving me very truthful answers on what I could expect in the role.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your current role?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – It was a very good offer right off the bat.

Front Desk/Administrative Assistant Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in April 2012.

Interview Details – According to the recruiter I aced the interviews however they decided to hire internally. Everyone was really nice and personable however the office was rather quite.

Interview Question – Describe something you planned that went wrong.   Answer Question

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marin Software in January 2012.

Interview Details – Date vs calendar
long vs object long
what is abstract class, how do you instantiate it ?
int vs integer for counting number of times for loop runs
worst case node addition time in BST
hashmap node addition time
hashmap methods - name any 7 of them
what is a final class
difference between private vs protected keywords
difference between list and set

Interview Question – what do you know about the company, describe industry exp.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Quality Assurance Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in November 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from HR regarding my interest and my skill sets.
Then they set me up with telephonic Interview with the Director or QA.
This was followed by another telephonic interview with EVP

Once I cleared that. they asked me to come on site for a series of Face to Face interview
There were 7, 30 min 1:1 interviews back to back. They placed me in a conf room and every 30 mins people came in to interview
I also had Lunch Interview with the EVP as well.

Each interviewer had a java programing question in mind and asked to code it on the white board. Some were tough ones and some were easy. eq, Str rev, Factorial, Fibonacci series. etc

There was one product manager who actually gave me their web tool and asked me to find bugs on it and actually asked me to file the bug in bugzilla, this was kind of cool.

Overall exp was good, they are free beverages which helped me

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Since I had another offer from NYtimes it was easy for my negotiations

Product Manager Interview

San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Marin Software in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with one of the product managers that was very junior and then with the VP of product management. The VP seemed to want to pump me for information on a company I worked for that had a product that was similar to their product.

Interview Question – How do you determine the priority of features product releases?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Marin Software? Contribute to the Community!

Marin Software Videos

Marin Software – Why Work for Us?

MARIN SOFTWARE – TRANSFORMING COMPLEXITY INTO OPPORTUNITY As consumers shift their media time away from traditional channels such as print, television, and radio, towards emerging digital channels such as search… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marin Software interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Marin Software employees and interview candidates.