Marin Software

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in May 2014.

Interview Details – HR Screen - Phone interviews * 2 - 4 rounds of onsite interviews.
The interview process is pretty smooth and I feel unexpectedly satisfied. First step is HR screen. HR will ask some general technical questions but nothing hard. Second step is two rounds of phone interviews - questions can be found in either leetcode or cc150 (all are same questions). Onsite is four rounds of interviews (I know people also got 3 or 5 rounds depending on specific performance). Questions are not hard but some of them need extra efforts. The interviewers are smart and extremely nice. They are very collaborative.

Interview Question – Calculate network size (pretty like word ladder + edit distance), LRU cache, string calculator, e.g. (input: "1 + 10 * 5 + 4", output "55").   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing to negotiate, the offer package is pretty nice.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Marin Software in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1st round: phone screening taken by non technical person. She had list of few questions.
1. Why Collections.sort doesnt work for Set.
2. What exceptions would you caught when converting string to integer.
3. Collections.sort running time.
4. Describe one of your project.

Interview Question – Why Collections.sort doesnt work for Set.   View Answers (2)

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Marin Software.

Interview Details – Apply through university career website.
First round 30 minutes behavior interview. just talk about the resume and some basic data structure and algorithm questions. such as difference between set and list, Iterator, etc.. Second round is share-screen coding. Didn't do well in this technical interview, but the interviewer is pretty nice.

Interview Question – Similar with word ladder   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in March 2014.

Interview Details – A HR interview with some java concept questions followed by two phone interviews. One is about find duplications within 0-n. The other asked about classic 2 sum and find median of two sorted lists. Hours later they invited to onsite. onsite is four round 1:1 interviews., write on white board. Except some very traditional questions which can be found on Leetcode, there are also some design and open-to-discuss questions. Over all, it's a rather pleasant interview experience.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, the whole interview process is nice and smooth.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They just offer me a base that more than I expected, so accept it

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in January 2014.

Interview Details – Someone from HR contacted me fairly quickly after I applied for this position. Judging from her LinkedIn profile, she was a well-seasoned recruiter that was highly recommended.

We step up a time for a 30 minute phone screening. I waited but I did not receive a call. I followed up and the HR contact apologized, saying she mistakenly put the time in her calendar for 2 hours after what we had confirmed. Ok, honest mistake, not a big deal.

We re-confirmed the same day for the time she initially had in her calendar. That time came and went. 30 minutes later, I received a voice mail that her previous meeting ran over and if we can reschedule. Ok, that's understandable. People are busy, this happens.

I followed up by voicemail and email to provide my availability to re-re-reschedule. I never heard back.

Strategic Customer Director Interview

Strategic Customer Director
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in September 2013.

Interview Details – Very personal and organized interview process. They were looking to hire quickly, so the interview phase was no more than two weeks long and the offer letter was received the week after that. If they are motivated to hire, it can happen fast.

Interview Question – Describe your worst work experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – 3 days long- 2 rounds of negotiating and I got a bump in salary.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Marin Software.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview with the recruiter. Beyond a couple standard resume questions, she asked a list of engineering questions, but as a recruiter she couldn't give any help. Most of them were pretty straightforward such as difference between abstract class and interface, what is 4 left-shift 2 XOR 2, what is the value of a number with all bits as 0 except the leftmost one, and explain a TreeMap. A couple were a little more vague such as what methods do you have to implement to make the object properly comparable, but still pretty easy.

Next was a technical phone interview with an engineer. The only official coding question I got was given 2 sets, determine if the second set is a subset of the first. However, from there as I explained my optimizations with a HashSet, he began asking more detailed questions about how a HashSet in implemented. That was all we really covered.

Final step was an on-sight interview with 4 successive engineers. 3 of them all asked me coding questions I had to write on the board, from standard tree questions, to simply getting the 10 greatest numbers in a list. Most of them were fairly easy, but often were worded strangely and clarification was often needed. 1 engineer asked me a completely design based question without any coding.

Interview Question – Given a huge set of data in a list, say GB worth, how do you find the nth largest element?

I just wasn't sure what the point of the question was. It had nothing to do with distributed systems, map reduce, or anything, as the question's emphasis on large data seemed to suggest. The interviewer insisted you just had a normal machine with all the data there. Basically just turned into a standard find the nth larges element question. No idea if I approached it right, as the interviewer gave very little feedback.
  Answer Question

QA Architect Interview

QA Architect
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Marin Software in September 2011.

Interview Details – 2 Phone Screen, Long onsite i.e 6 interview with no lunch.

Interview Question – None of the technical questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Statements like "We cannot give you this much it will be a problem to other QA members" or "You need to talk to CEO if you need more" is complete BS. They can and have offered more to other people and they have even rejected Marin's offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marin Software in February 2010.

Interview Details – Very quick. Phone interview first with hiring manager. Then in the face to face you meet with a group of 3 sales associates that do the same role that you would be doing. Very casual interview, I felt very welcomed and that they were giving me very truthful answers on what I could expect in the role.

Interview Question – Why are you leaving your current role?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – It was a very good offer right off the bat.

Front Desk/Administrative Assistant Interview

Front Desk/Administrative Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marin Software in April 2012.

Interview Details – According to the recruiter I aced the interviews however they decided to hire internally. Everyone was really nice and personable however the office was rather quite.

Interview Question – Describe something you planned that went wrong.   Answer Question

Worked for Marin Software? Contribute to the Community!