Marine Credit Union

Very Difficult Interview

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Marine Credit Union

Interview Details – Interview with several levels of management, several IQ and problem solving tests. Questions focused a lot on sales experience, hitting goals, management styles, previous successes, if I played sports in high school, etc

Interview Question – What is the biggest mistake you ever made?   Answer Question

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
La Crosse, WI

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Marine Credit Union.

Interview Details – 2 step, district manager, then VP

Negotiation Details – offer made countered, they accepted. Other verbal agreements made but wee never followed throughout ith, get all in writing.

Accounting Interview

Accounting
La Crosse, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marine Credit Union in March 2011.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by the HR Manager and he emailed me a IQ test. I took the test and the results were emailed to him. He then called me and asked me to come in for an interview. I initially met with one bank executive and then met with CFO for an interview, from there I took a two hour skills assessment test.

Interview Question – Describe what you liked about your previous supervisor.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The salary was lower than I was looking for, additionally I called around and talked to people who had worked for this CFO previously and they said they would not work for her no matter what, that she was difficult to work for and had unreasonable expectations.

IT Software Manager Interview

IT Software Manager
La Crosse, WI

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Marine Credit Union in October 2009.

Interview Details – I first received a phone call from a company recruiter after I submitted my application via Monster.com. The recruiter discussed with me my qualifications, then indicated I should hear something within a week. The following week I received another phone call from the recruiter who wanted to coordinate a phone interview between myself and the CIO, who was the hiring manager. The following week I had a 40 minute phone interview with the CIO. The next day, I received a phone call from the recruiter indicating that they would like to fly me out and set me up with a hotel room and a car so that I could go through the face-to-face interview process. The next week, I flew out to the company, took a personality test and had one face-to-face interview with a person who would be my peer colleague. The second day, I took a database programming test, followed by an interview with the HR director, the CEO, and finally with the CIO. I found it odd to interview with both the CIO and CEO for a position that was not considered an executive level position.
My perceptions of the people is that they were very nice and acted as people from a very small company would act. The IT organization is very small; only a total of 11 people. The office is located on the second floor of the main credit union branch. I was told there is a two-story administration office down the road one mile where the IT team would sit. The work culture, although a small company, is much like large organizations. Time is money. The CIO stated several times that he would rather have projects completed early, without once mentioning the word "quality". Everyone is measured on performance, which appears to be a quantitative analysis; again, using the metrics of time, numbers, etc. Quality was never mentioned by any one of the persons with whom I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific time when you had a problem or a performance issue with one of your direct reports, and how did you handle the situation.   View Answer
  • What do you think of our culture here at Marine?   View Answer

Consumer Loan Officer Interview

Consumer Loan Officer

I applied online and interviewed at Marine Credit Union.

Interview Details – After application you get a call from HR located in Madison. After doing a phone screening they set-up a phone interview. The phone interview is fairly easy. Most questions asked on the phone interview are sales based and experience based. After you complete the phone interview they send a few emails and inside these emails are tests. You take a personality test and an intelligence test. A day or so after that you recieve and phone interview from a higher up manager in HR and they set-up a in branch interview.

When you get to the branch they have you complete another intelligence test. After you meet with the branch manager and have a typical interview. Some notes from the interview. You are expected to be evaluated daily by what is called a score card, the manager will ask you if you have any experiences similar to that. Then he will ask you how you feel about being micromanaged. Also, you are expected to overcome an objective with the manager right on the spot.

Lastly, they say they will call you and set up a second in branch interview.

Interview Question – How do you over come objections?   Answer Question

Mortgage Loan Officer Interview

Mortgage Loan Officer

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Marine Credit Union in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by Marine After my office was closed down from my previous employer and was a series of face-to-face interviews. Progressively going higher and higher within the organization.

Interview Question – What would you say is the most important aspect of being a customer facing employee of an organization?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't do much negotiating as the pay was much high in salary than at my previous employer.

Member Service Representative Interview

Member Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marine Credit Union in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very thorough. First I had to take multiple on line tests. After that I went in for an interview with 2 different people and had to take more online tests. After that I interviewed at another location. Then I waited for the district manager to call me for a phone interview. I felt after going through all of the interviews that this was going to be a place that really only hired exceptional candidates. Everyone was really nice throughout the process.

Interview Question – Who are your heroes?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marine Credit Union in November 2010.

Interview Details – Was first contacted by a Human Resources Specialist. Phone interview lasted approximately 1 hour where we walked through my resume, business situations and some general questions. Was sent a Skills Test, Personality Test and Management Survey over the following couple of days. Following week I was interviewed by the senior human resource manager. Phone interview lasted about 40 minutes and included discussing aspects of my experience. Interviewer was very nice and setup an interview with the CEO later in the week. Interviewed via phone by the CEO who was very professional and pleasant. Interview included questions about work experience and information about Marine Credit's future plans. Although I felt the interview process went well, I was no selected for the position. I was already quite torn on the position and location so there are absolutely no hard feelings.

Marine Credit Union seems to have been extremely impacted by the economic downturn and subsequent high unemployment. BankRate.com has them rated at 2 stars "Below Peer Group" with asset quality being the biggest concern. This appears to have turned the credit union into a very risk adverse environment with the current business plan showing no growth in the next 12 to 24 months. This may work in the very short term, but I believe the credit union will need to rethink their business plan if they intend to survive going forward. Just taking a quick view, I can see some major member services gaps between Marine and its other competitors. The reported numbers by bankrate.com for the first half of 2010 show the credit union is continuing to lose ground. I suspect 2011 will be a critical year for Marine. I wish them the best of luck.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you have handled a difficult employee situation.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about you.. who are you and how did you get where you are today. I actually liked this question.   Answer Question

Worked for Marine Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!