MarkLogic Interview Questions

Updated May 2, 2015

3.1

Alliances and Channels Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic (McLean, VA).

Interview

Process was very smooth. A day of F2F interviews was scheduled for me at their offices. This was followed up by a return visit for sr exec interviews. Everyone I encountered was smart, motivated and happy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very smooth and fair.

Vice President of Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Met with hiring manager two weeks ago; His manager yesterday along with HR. The interview took a couple of weeks to set up, since the second line manager was traveling the two weeks prior. They could not have been nicer in setting up the arrangements for me to fly down to the interview, including putting me up at a very nice hotel and covering my meals and transportation while I was in town. In the narrative below, I describe that I didn't get the offer, only because GlassDoor needs to add another option that says "still going through the process"; instead of "end game only" type results.

Interview Questions

• They asked lots of thoughtful questions. They are trying to continue building a positive culture at MarkLogic, and want to make sure that new people they bring in will be there for the long haul.   Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at MarkLogic (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Strange - interviewer had a very high opinion of himself - asked me a question - told me that he would not have answered this way - proceeded to tell me how he would have answered - then gave an answer to a completely different question than the one he asked me! Preferred to tell me about himself that to listen to my history. I would never want to work with this guy.

Interview Questions

• What makes me unique for this role?   1 Answer

Principal Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MarkLogic (San Carlos, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Hiring manager emailed to schedule a phone screen for next week. After a brief conversation an onsite interview was scheduled. Manager asked me to read a 300 page NoSQL for Dummies written by MarkLogic and an 80 page white paper. I received an email from HR asking I complete an application, background check release and NDA which I felt was premature before arriving for the first on site interview. Arrived at MarkLogic HQ without any problems since building is visible from CA freeway 101. I was told there are over 100 employees at HQ but I only saw 7 including the 4 directors who interviewed me that day. The office was dead quiet. We exchanged business cards and the hiring manager asked if my business card was still current implying did I still work there? The next stage would have been my giving a sales presentation but someone with MarkLogic hands on experience was chosen over me. I asked HR if other candidates were also asked to provide a completed application, NDA and permission to do a background check. No response ever received.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Nice team. Tell the candidate not much about the job: While you don't want to dominate the interview time, you should start with a brief summary of the position, including the prime responsibilities, reporting structure, key challenges, and performance criteria. This will help the candidate provide relevant examples and responses.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic (Dallas, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process, in my case, lasted about 6 weeks. The ML team did a good job of vetting me during that time. I consider this a plus as they expect you to play a key role in developing the business. It was clear to me that, although MarkLogic is a key player in the space, they cultivate a small company culture.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience or exposure to NoSQL databases?   1 Answer
    • Are you comfortable with interfacing with business stakeholders?   1 Answer

Negotiation

When considering an offer, understand that some of the compensation is calculated through a quarterly bonus schedule.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic (McLean, VA).

Interview

A fellow coworker from a previous job referred me to MarkLogic and from there the process was very quick - from referral to initial contact was no more than two days. After two phone screens (one technical and one more focused on soft skills), I was asked to visit the Tysons Corner office for an in-person interview. Again, this happened very quickly - within a matter of days I interviewed with 2 consulting managers and at last one consultant. Asked back again, I met with several more individuals in the consulting practice - from consultants to management. All were very professional and the questions were a combination of how I would address a theoretical problem on the ground to technical approaches in consulting. There were no out of bounds questions and all seemed well prepared and thought out.

Interview Questions

• One question focused very specifically on how I would approach a performance issue with a web site - the question was very open ended and was posed to determine how best to determine the root cause and ways to resolve it.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at MarkLogic in March 2014.

Interview

Received a call for a position I did not apply for. The recruiter asked several questions and emphasized the stock equity and benefits. He did not like my employment history but I countered that my company sells product not consulting time. Recruiter then setup phone interview with hiring manager the following week. The hiring manager commented 'you only designed simple models'. I had to correct him.

Interview Questions

• Can you send along your plan on how to build an organization from scratch?   1 Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic (Washington, DC).

Interview

Straightforward and fast-- mostly behavioral for marketing and sales positions. Can you do the job? Do we like you?

Interview Questions

• What is the last thing you did where you got lost in it? Can you build a prototype search and discovery application?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic (San Carlos, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I went to the university employment information session. Then, on the next day, I was interviewed by two software engineers from MarkLogic at my University recruiting center. I was contacted within 2 days and offered for onsite interview. It took one week to get the VISA. After that I went to their California office for on site interview. It was a day long interview. I was interviewed by six people individually. All of them are technical in nature. At the last stage, I was given six technical question with one hour to answer. The most important thing is that the interview and result of the interview is superfast. I was offered on the next day of my interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you implement the singleton pattern in multithreaded environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They keep the door open for feasible negotiation.