MarkLogic

Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.1

Principal Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at MarkLogic in November 2014.

Hiring manager emailed to schedule a phone screen for next week.
    After a brief conversation an onsite interview was scheduled. Manager asked me to read
    a 300 page NoSQL for Dummies written by MarkLogic and an 80 page white paper.
    I received an email from HR asking I complete an application, background check release and NDA
    which I felt was premature before arriving for the first on site interview.
    Arrived at MarkLogic HQ without any problems since building is visible from CA freeway 101.
    I was told there are over 100 employees at HQ but I only saw 7 including the 4 directors who interviewed me that day. The office was dead quiet. We exchanged business cards and the
    hiring manager asked if my business card was still current implying did I still work there?

The next stage would have been my giving a sales presentation but someone with MarkLogic hands on experience was chosen over me. I asked HR if other candidates were also asked to provide
    a completed application, NDA and permission to do a background check.
    No response ever received.

Software Engineer Interview

Nice team. Tell the candidate not much about the job: While you don't want to dominate the interview time, you should start with a brief summary of the position, including the prime responsibilities, reporting structure, key challenges, and performance criteria. This will help the candidate provide relevant examples and responses.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic.

A fellow coworker from a previous job referred me to MarkLogic and from there the process was very quick - from referral to initial contact was no more than two days. After two phone screens (one technical and one more focused on soft skills), I was asked to visit the Tysons Corner office for an in-person interview. Again, this happened very quickly - within a matter of days I interviewed with 2 consulting managers and at last one consultant. Asked back again, I met with several more individuals in the consulting practice - from consultants to management. All were very professional and the questions were a combination of how I would address a theoretical problem on the ground to technical approaches in consulting. There were no out of bounds questions and all seemed well prepared and thought out.

Interview Questions
    • One question focused very specifically on how I would approach a performance issue with a web site - the question was very open ended and was posed to determine how best to determine the root cause and ways to resolve it.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at MarkLogic in March 2014.

Received a call for a position I did not apply for. The recruiter asked several questions and emphasized the stock equity and benefits. He did not like my employment history but I countered that my company sells product not consulting time. Recruiter then setup phone interview with hiring manager the following week. The hiring manager commented 'you only designed simple models'. I had to correct him.

Interview Questions
    • Can you send along your plan on how to build an organization from scratch?   View Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic.

Straightforward and fast-- mostly behavioral for marketing and sales positions. Can you do the job? Do we like you?

Interview Questions
    • What is the last thing you did where you got lost in it? Can you build a prototype search and discovery application?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic in April 2011.

I went to the university employment information session. Then, on the next day, I was interviewed by two software engineers from MarkLogic at my University recruiting center. I was contacted within 2 days and offered for onsite interview. It took one week to get the VISA. After that I went to their California office for on site interview. It was a day long interview. I was interviewed by six people individually. All of them are technical in nature. At the last stage, I was given six technical question with one hour to answer.

The most important thing is that the interview and result of the interview is superfast. I was offered on the next day of my interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you implement the singleton pattern in multithreaded environment?   Answer Question
    They keep the door open for feasible negotiation.

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic in September 2009.

I received a call from one of their recruiters/HR. Had a phone interview with her where she asked me some basic technical questions and some general behaviour questions. After that, she setup a phone interview with the hiring manager. Talked with the hiring manager where she asked a lot of questions related to day to day activities of a QA engineer and at the end she emailed me a so called homework which consisted of installing their XML server and writing some scripts to retrieve information from the server. After I finished the homework, I had a 1:1 interview with several members of the company (QA engineer, VP of people, QA Manager). They asked all kind of questions, from very technical questions to how to deal with specific problems or how to solve or test a specific type of system. Once you pass that interview, they call you back for another interview with more technical people.
    They claim they hire only the smartest people, but after talking with several individuals, I don't see how they can make that claim. Out of the eight people I talked with, only two of them impressed me. The rest did not show any signs of being any smarter than the average engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would test a system with thousands of test cases, given that you don't have enough time to test them all?   Answer Question

Marketing Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emea (Indonesia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emea (Indonesia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MarkLogic in March 2014.

Very quick process - appreciated decisiveness. Didn't appreciate 6 rounds of interview with basically no feedback - both parties invested quite a bit of effort in the process, a word from a hiring manager would have been a nice touch.

Could tell that people are passionate about what they do.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about database technology, an invitation to pitch their product.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at MarkLogic.

lengthy but enjoyable, interviewer highly involved

Interview Questions
    • competency based questions so very difficult to anticipate   Answer Question
    negotiation phase was too long , the contract was tricky from a work life balance, you are allowed to work anywhere as far as you are not asked to work at the office by your manager and your manager ask you to come about 3 - 4 times a week...also , you agree on a salary at the beginning of the process and find yourself negotiating on that same salary at the offer stage, last of trust from management is the overall problem.

Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at MarkLogic.

Be careful not to fall into a trap in which you got a lot of promises. The interviewer may not ask you many technical questions as you may not be needed once some work in their mind gets done. Be sure to find out the history of the job you are interviewing for and ask others about that. If you are interviewed by a group and no further interview from upper management as a final round interview, then you must be careful.