Market of Choice

Relevance Date Difficulty

Beverage Department Manager Interview

Beverage Department Manager
West Linn, OR

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Market of Choice in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on line. Lengthy on-line questionnaire with lots of same questions asked in a different way. Many questions regarding theft and drug use. Some regarding anger management in the workplace or how to handle difficult situations with team members or customers. Received a call within a day or two for interview.
Interview directed toward many of the same questions as the on line questionnaire.

Came away with the feeling that I had the experience and abilities they were looking for. But just received the letter of "no offer". May have priced myself out of their starting range since I have been in the wine business for 20 plus years. But really don't know.

Interview Question – One which was rather odd: have you ever been in a fist fight at work?   View Answer

Barista Interview

Barista
West Linn, OR

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Market of Choice in March 2014.

Interview Details – It began by me filling out the online application. The next day I received a phone call; I was asked why I wanted to work for Market of Choice, the woman confirmed my availability, and then asked what my experience in customer service has been, and how many years of experience I had. She schedule me for an interview later in the week ( I was to interview with the Food Service Department HR, not her.) In the few days time before the interview I did a little prep. Went in for the interview on a Monday. Met with the interviewer, who was very friendly. Went into a back room and we sat down and she took out a list of questions to ask me. The questions were pretty basic interview questions...EXCEPT one question, which I will list below. After about 8 questions, which I had felt I answered very eloquently and 'correctly', I was handed a background check permission form to sign.Then was asked to sign another form that said I agreed to a drug test, if offered a job. After all of this I was told the job's pay(determined on my past salaries), and what happens next: she would call me probably on Wednesday, after performing the background check, and that is when the job would be offered (or not). The offer was contingent on the drug test. However, I never received that call. Instead I got a letter in the mail a day or two later, stating simply that they.' could not offer me a position.' No reason or explanation as to why they couldn't offer me a job. I have no criminal history and am very qualified for the barista position. I also noticed that the letter, and envelope, were dated the same day as my interview. So I am not sure if they even had time to perform a background check, then type a letter and put it in the mail all the same day as my interview. Fishy. I was disappointed that my time was wasted, because they obviously had another already in line from within for this position. That, or my salary history was not one they cared to match.

Interview Question – Most unexpected: 'Have you ever been in a fist fight at work." Seriously, that was a mandatory question that all interviewees are asked. We both laughed at the ridiculousness of it. My answer was no, obviously.   Answer Question

Kitchen Clerk Interview

Kitchen Clerk
Eugene, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Market of Choice in October 2011.

Interview Details – You go in and talk about previous work and the difficult work experiences you've had to work through. Basically a situational analysis of your past work and what you would do in certain situations that wouldn't pertain to the kind of work they give you.

Interview Question – What was a huge project you worked on at your past work and how did you get it done? - totally unnessecary for a grocery store job..... maybe a business analyst job or salesmen job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They set you at minimum wage even if you ask for something else.

Bakery Clerk Interview

Bakery Clerk
Eugene, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Market of Choice in March 2011.

Interview Details – It was the second time I had applied online and my second phone interview, but this time I got a call back for a real interview. I had applied for any open position and during the phone interview they asked where I would like to work and I picked the bakery on the spot. I went in for my interview and met with a very nice young woman in HR who asked me some general questions then called in the bakery manager to meet me. At the end of the meeting the HR representative asked for five references (and they really called all of them). A week later they hired me. I had to go in for a drug test (later I learned that they were excited after my interview because they knew I'd pass the drug test). And when I went in for orientation they said that they were going to have me be a barista instead of a bakery clerk.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Market of Choice?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they just said you will be paid "x" amount an hour. I would recommend asking for more than minimum wage on your application because other coworkers with similar backgrounds asked for more and got a higher started wage than me.

Very Easy Interview

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Market of Choice in June 2010.

Interview Details – online application followed by a test required by compnay mainly dealing with theft & drug use followed by a call back phone interview whcih resulted in an appointment for an interview yet to be had

Interview Questions

Worked for Market of Choice? Contribute to the Community!