MarketAxess Interview Questions

Production Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at MarketAxess in February 2012.

I went through four rounds of interviews. I spoke with the head of the team, the head of infrastructure, some of the team members, and the CIO. The questions were largely around how I approach problems in trade flow and my familiarity with Linux and FIX.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at MarketAxess in March 2013.

The process was straightforward and I met with increasingly senior people as the interview went on. However, there was one less senior person that came in to do a little test. I had to learn something from the less senior person and then teach it to the more senior person. The interview was a bit scattered and I did have to wait between people, but otherwise, the process went well. From what I could gather, it seems there's a big split between Sales and BA/Dev culture, so I'm guessing management favors the Sales side - that's how it always goes.

It's a growing company, which is why I am after a job there, and I'm sure there's enough to go around; not just cash, but opportunities too.

Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at MarketAxess in December 2011.

There was a phone interview, which was resume and HR questions.
    After a week, I was asked to schedule a on-site interview time.
    The team was very welcoming and made me very comfortable. They asked questions on Java concepts - inheritance, encapsulation, and polymorphism.
    A few questions were also asked on Servlets, and DB optimization. I was also asked to make an ER diagram of a project I did in my undergrad.
    There was also an HR interview, which asked about my experience here, and how it compared to the experience back home.

Interview Questions
    • Explain polymorphism in Java. What are the uses of polymorphism?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MarketAxess in November 2011.

The interviewer was in need of someone to work on the MarketAxess web portal for clients. He was friendly and was giving enough time to think and respond, accepting answers calmly, moving on to the next question. The questions consisted of:

*some basic java knowledge like exception handling, servlets, threads, how Java is different from C++, why you used a desktop based GUI instead of a web-front end in the project on your resume etc. For example: How will you force a program to go into an exception?

*Database related questions like what are indexes and what are their types? How will you implement a parent child hierarchy in a relational database model?

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at MarketAxess in May 2010.

I applied it online through the official website. 3 days later, someone contacted me via email and we scheduled a phone interview.

Trading Systems Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at MarketAxess in March 2009.

The first phone interview was a little on the harder side, I did not expect a call back as I did not answer couple of questions (on threads). Luckily I got a callback for another set of phone interviews, I took the call and 3 people interviewed me. I answered all the questions and was very confident that I would get a call back but I found that they were urgently needing to close that position and found a local candidate to satisfy their needs. I guessed they found it cheaper to hire a local candidate rather than fly me and pay for travel expenses. I found it very lame as they could not afford to spend a little more money on a candidate who would bring them enormous value, not a very forward thinking company.

CDS Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MarketAxess in March 2012.

The interview was just wrong. The person who interviewed did not introduce himself. Before continuing I have to ask. He then introduced himself as the Head of Europe, but I do not think he was. He clearly has no idea of neither the CDS business nor Dodd Frank Laws, regulations, environment. I found it very strange. I also had to explained how the Clearing Houses will work. I thought it was his strategy to get info from me (to find out whether I know or not) After an hour meeting, I realised he was not aware and he did not have a clear understanding of what is the regulatory framework. I met later on with another person, he was very approachable. He introduced himself as the Head of Sales and the person who will replace the previous person. I could not believe what I was listened. He did not have much idea either of the CDS world. I sense some internal issues going on. But it was not part of my job to judge that.

Interview Questions
    • the most unexpected interview question asked was: whether it was feasible to save the CDS info in a cloud computing?   View Answer

After I finish the interviews, I called the recruiter and I said that I was not interested in working in an company where it was clear that the two more senior people have no idea of CDS. I thought it would be very time consuming to start teaching them CDS, etc. After all, the position was for CDS Project Manager. I also did not find it morally ok the comment about who would replace who.

Worked for MarketAxess? Contribute to the Community!