MarketStar Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.7

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MarketStar.

The interview process was somewhat complicated. I was contacted by a recruiter who talked me through the process, which I appreciated. I had to complete a video interview where I recorded answers to predetermined questions. I then had two in-person interviews. I was notified by an auto-generated email that they had selected another candidate.

Client Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ogden, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MarketStar.

The initial interview is by phone with the recruiter. This is your gateway to move further through the process. Be at your ultimate best with the recruiter and don't be afraid to warm up to them and be yourself. Most of the recruiters here are really cool people and though you need to keep up with the professionalism, they want to know that you will be a good fit in this SOMEWHAT relaxed culture. Once they interview you, they will send you a link to do your webcam interview which sucks. Then the hirevue interview goes to the hiring manager, and that is what will determine if the manager wants to meet you in person, so make sure you don't get too nervous here. The webcam interview starts at the designated time and you will see questions pop up on the screen which you then answer as though a person is asking you (very awkward). That completed interview goes to the recruiter, who then sends it to the hiring manager for review. They need to change this. I don't feel (many managers feel this too) that it really shows how the person really interacts with people. At that point, the manager determines if they want to meet with you in person and you will get a call. If you are applying for anything sales related, be prepared for the last part of the webcam interview to include a brief (I don't remember exactly how long maybe 60 seconds, or 3 minutes, not sure) presentation that you have to give where you are selling their product...for example typically most of the time, a mobile phone. For me, this was horrible. It made me realize I could never be an actor. Put a camera in front of me and I am toast. Believe me, it is way different from selling in person which I can do all day. As for the background and drug screen, this is pretty typical but every position requires it. Lastly, most of the jobs have no negotiation on the salary. It is what they say it is.

Interview Questions
    • If you are interviewing for anything related to sales, be prepared to do a 3 minute sales presentation via webcam...horrible experience.   View Answer
    non-existent..only certain jobs have flexibility in this respect.

Sony Sales Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at MarketStar.

Process was quite easy. Received a call the day after I applied by a hiring company for a brief qualification process. He set up a webcam interview that was very easy for me. They are more interested in sales and building the BestBuy employee relationship. Neither of their webcam worked at the time but the interviewers were the MarketStar manager, and the Senior Sales Supervisor for Sony in the region.

Interview Questions
    • How will you plan to build a relationship with BestBuy and its employees?   View Answer
    Based on experience I got the highest pay, very easy to negotiate.

Google Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MarketStar in September 2013.

At first they(this will most likely be your market manager) will call you, detailing the hours, days you work, and pay. They will ask if you want to continue with an interview for later. I don't remember if they give you a short interview right there or not, but another person will call you on the phone for an interview a day or so later. They will set you up with a time for the interview, so it is not a random call. The market manager does not take your interview.

During the interview, they ask you the usual questions. They will ask you some questions concerning technology to test you on your knowledge. For me they asked about such things as describing bluetooth or the difference between a matte finish or glossy finish monitor.

If they like you at that point, they will go through the process of hiring you. They will have you digitally sign a bunch of documents on a website, and have you take a drug test that must be done within a day or so. They will set up some flight arrangements too if you must go out of state for training.

Interview Questions
    • They might ask you about how to explain bluetooth or the difference between monitor finishes.   View Answer

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MarketStar.

Phone interview with recruiter, then video submission, possible 1-3 calls with the client depending upon how involved the client is in the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer relationship and what did you do to change the relationship.   Answer Question
    No real room to negotiate compensation or bonus.

BlackBerry Market Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ogden, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MarketStar in July 2013.

The typical paperwork had to be submitted for information such as background checks, prior employer experience, etc. Drug screening is also required (at the company's expense.)

Most of the process was done through email and telephone. There was a portion of the hiring process that consisted of a web-based recording session, where you're asked several (unexpected) questions and you have a time limit to answer them.

Interview Questions
    • *Please note- this isn't verbatim*
      Please introduce yourself and what you do as if I was one of your retail stores meeting you for the first time.
      (In a position like a Market Manager, the response to this question is easier said than done. What they're looking for is not only your comfort ability in interacting with new faces, but your ability to come across as helpful, informative, and a great brand advocate.)
        Answer Question
    I felt that the pay was great, I did not negotiate.

Market Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at MarketStar.

Hiring was quite simple. We had a series of questions online and in some cases you will record yourself via web cam and submit your answers in to corporate. They will call you back quickly if you did well and process your background and drug screening. That part normally takes about 2 weeks. Once that clears they will send you to training and the rest is on you..

none

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Carlos, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at MarketStar in October 2013.

First I was given a phone call stating interest in my resume. Then the person over the phone prepared me for a quick primarily interview over the phone. If that goes well, you're scheduled a webcam interview with standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you didn't get along with management or other associates and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    very simple and to the point.

Brand Advocate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at MarketStar.

Phone screen with recruiter who asks basic interview questions. Recruiters are great people. Then they pass you to someone who would be your manager. That interview is more depth. Its helpful if you know what the project is, and have retail experience. After that they'll make a decision and you'll hear a yes or no. Quick and painless.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating, take it or leave it.

Sony PC Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fullerton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fullerton, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at MarketStar in May 2013.

The 1st interview is a phone interview. Basic questions with them trying to just get to know you. By the end of the 1st interview they ask you your shirt size in case you get the job. The 2nd interview is an online web interview. This means that you can ONLY have a shirt and tie and you will be fine. More situation based questions so be on your A-game.