Markit

80 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

"Project Manager" (VERY Loose Term!) Interview

Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Markit.

Interview Details – It seems as if Markit On Demand (formerly Wall Street on Demand) is constantly advertising for "Project Managers". There are a couple of reasons for this (and they aren't positive ones): The turnover is extremely high and the "Project Manager" is really nothing more than a glorified customer service position.

I interviewed with several of these "Project Managers" and none of them seemed to have anything to say about actual project management practices. Instead, they discussed the menial tasks they completed while taking abuse from both the customers and the IT folks. Halfway through the interview, I decided that this "PM" position was essentially a sham designed to get low-paid, low-skilled, junior-level types desperate for a job with a halfway respectable title in the door and into a seat where they would take various orders from various customers, hand them off to IT, be told that IT didn't have the bandwidth to complete the request, and ultimately get into a back-and-forth bargaining game between the customer and IT. As such, I decided at that point that there was no way I would be taking the job and I proceeded to grill them on their crappy jobs.

Know this: if you are looking for a Project Management position, THIS ISNT IT! DO NOT APPLY!

However, if being abused by customers and IT and if reputably poor management and low wages are your thing, have at it!

Interview Question – Nothing difficult was presented. Some smarmy "project manager" who seemed none too pleased to have to interview someone attempted to boast of his interest in investments ad such. I suppressed my yawn and natural inclination to roll my eyes, knowing that he had been suckered into a glorified customer support role by this company.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Terribly untrustworthy company, awful job, poison environment. No thanks.

Quantitative Equity Research Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Markit.

Interview Details – 13 person, four hours, two or three people per group to interview me. 30% behavior questions and 30% market dynamics and 40% quant questions.

Interview Question – If you have a portfolio of airplane related assets, what kind of factors u would include when you are building a multifactor model   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Markit.

Interview Details – Applied through a job portal. Got call from the HR within 2 days. A telephonic interview was scheduled, but no one called up on the scheduled time. Emailed to the HR and she responded within couple of hours stating that the interviewer was in a meeting that ran late. rescheduled the interview. The interview lasted for 10 minutes. The interview was very general, to check what kind of programming knowledge I had. After the telephonic interview got a call for onsite interview at boulder office. The interview lasted for about 1 hour.

Interview Question – Major difference between a client side (javascript)code and the server side(C#) code?   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Environmental Registry Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Markit in March 2011.

Interview Details – First-round interview on campus with HR VP. Second round interview was at NY office - two back-to-back interviews with VPs from different departments. Perhaps because of the nature of the position I expressed interest in, the questions were pretty soft and not as quantitative as I prepared for - mostly questions to see if you researched the company, knew a few things about financial technology, etc. Usual soft-ball questions about why you're interested in this field, etc etc.

Interview Question – Why are you applying specifically to work at Markit?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a summer internship - no negotiation process involved.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Markit in November 2012.

Interview Details – 1. HR Interview
2. Technical phone screen
3. Standard engineer test
4. On-site interview

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Associate Vice President/Java Developer Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Markit.

Interview Details – 1 telephonic round - just trying to find if good match, mainly focused on resume and challenges in earlier projects.

F2F - 3 rounds nearly 3 hours. 3 persons interviewed. One more f2f later where the focus was on things did in earlier projects, explain the technical details of with diagrams etc and technical Qs revolving around that

Interview Questions

• Implement a concurrent blocking queue   Answer Question
  • - How would you go about implementing a web-service end-to-end, include all features like security, load balancing, scalability etc.

- Difference between REST and SOAP? when to prefer what
      Answer Question
  • How to return value from thread

How to handle cases where results start coming in the Future concurrency api - start processing results as they arrive and not wait for all threads to return result

Is GC a single thread or multi-threaded

How to fetch properties file from classpath

Some puzzles
    - sitting in a boat with big rock, drop the rock in water what happens to water level
      Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary was not upto my expectations

Junior Feed Integration Developer Interview

Junior Feed Integration Developer
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Markit in May 2010.

Interview Details – Telephonic interview in the first round. Was then called on-site on two occasions. First was given a paper based test and 30 min were allocated for that. Techical rounds face to face for the next two hours, mostly related to the resume. Second time on-site visit included techical interview along with the company's CTO and few behavorial questions. Was made an offer within the next week of the second on-site interview

Interview Question – Unexpected process: Paper based test that required 3 programming questions to be answered and only 30 minutes were allocated.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They gave me the offer; tried to negotiate on the salary, company was not flexible. Accepted the offer

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Markit in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for a Quality Assurance Engineer position at Markit On Demand/Wall Street On Demand in late July, making it clear in resume and cover letter that I am a Senior QA professional. Their internal HR person called me the next morning at 8am and asked me to come in for on-site interviews. She scheduled the interviews for Wednesday, August 6, 2012. The email itinerary showed that I was scheduled to meet with two people:

1- The QA Director
2-Herself, the HR Recruiter

I read salary reviews on Glassdoor.com and became concerned. For example:

“The Pay - is on the lowest end of the spectrum.”
“The company has adopted a philosophy of under-cutting salaries as a means for under-bidding competition which leaves employees there being paid more than 20% below fair market value.”
“Low salary package and benefits.”

So I emailed the HR Recruiter on August 2:

“[Her name],

I hope this isn't crass, but I would like to insure that the pay range for this position matches my needs. I don't want to waste anyone's time if the salary is not in my range.

[My name]”

She replied:

“Hi [My name]

We generally don’t discuss comp until after the first interview. This is not to frustrate you but simply because we have more than one option for the level of the position and the manager needs to evaluate that. Are you still comfortable coming in today?

[Her name]”

Since my interview was not “today” I emailed to clarify the date. She corrected her mistake, then she apparently made another scheduling mistake because she quickly re-rescheduled the interview for a couple of hours later.

I went to Markit On Demant for the on-site interview as scheduled Wednesday, August 6, 2012. The QA Director showed up and interviewed me. The HR Recruiter did not show up to talk to me as she was scheduled to do.

I would have asked her about salary range if she had showed up.

The HR Recruiter then contacted me to set up second and third on-site interviews with two QA Leads for Wednesday, August 15th, 2012. I again went to Markit On Demand as scheduled for those two interviews. Afterward one of the QA Leads asked if I'd ever met with HR; I told her no. She expressed surprise and explained that I should have had that opportunity, but there had be “a lot of churn” in HR.

Again, I would have asked HR about salary range if she had met with me as she was apparently supposed to.

The next morning the same HR representative called me and said all interviews had gone very well, she congratulated me, and said she would like to move on to the “next step” of discussing the salary for the job offer. She then asked me what my target salary was, I told her my target salary, and she said she'd call me back the next morning after the “salary committee” had met.

She didn't call back the next morning.

So I called her and left a voice mail message.

She didn't call back.

So I called back a second time at which point she answered the phone. I asked if she had a status on the job offer and she explained very icily that after she heard my target salary they had decided to move forward with another candidate. In other words job offer rescinded.

I of course asked her why she'd refused to discuss salary when I'd asked her the range weeks earlier so we wouldn't waste everyone's time. She denied everything, claimed she misspoke when she said she'd like to “move on to the “next step” of discussing the salary for the offer, hadn't really meant that “next step” of discussing salary for an offer had anything to do with an offer, and said that they were doing so much interviewing and that things were so hectic that she couldn't remember what she'd said or who she said it to or how how she'd said it anyway.

Not a pleasant experience. Not a positive impression of Market On Demand.

I can only imagine how badly they treat employees given how badly they treat candidates they're in the process of making a job offer to. Then again I don't need to imagine their horrible treatment of people; I see it described in employee reviews.

Interview Question – "What is your target salary?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I'm in this grey area where HR rescinded the offer after they found out my target salary. This was after refusing to discuss salary in email, and failing to meet with me in person as they were scheduled to do.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Markit in June 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process is pretty standard. Expect a technical grilling and a solid team to do so.

Interview Question – Try to build an elevator on a whiteboard from an OOP paradigm and a marker.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay is the worst part, so brace for it and prepare to be strong in what you want.

Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Markit in March 2011.

Interview Details – This was the company's largest intern class, and as a rapidly expanding company, they were trying to revamp the internship process, so there were kinks to work out. The interview consisted of some fit questions, but a lot of technicals - primarily about credit derivatives. There was an initial phone interview and then two 1:1 interviews back to back, both of which varied greatly.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself next year?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. Take it or leave it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Markit