Markit Interview Questions

Updated Aug 13, 2015

2.9

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in May 2010.

Interview

Phone interview lasted 7 minutes, around 7 questions were asked from HTML, CSS and JavaScript. CSS Question: What's the difference between display: none and visibility: hidden? javascript: How do you search for a particular element in an array?

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between display: none and visibility: hidden?   1 Answer
    • How do you traverse an array in JavaScript?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in May 2010.

Interview

I attended a meet and greet/interview session for a web developer training position that they were offering. They said in the job description that they wanted someone who knew a programming language (discounting HTML and CSS). But when I was interviewed by 2 managers they asked me questions on CSS. I figure why they did this is they already picked their limit of people in front of me, so they just gave me a subject I wasn't prepared for and I was suppose to fail at. Also, during the meet and greet which was before the interview they seemed to focus their enthusiasm on a young guy from India while other candidates in our group seemed to be ignored (even though some asked very good questions and had very good knowledge of the company- more than the guy from India). I pretty much knew before I was going to be interviewed that the guy from India got the job due to where he is from and him having a friend who works there. The people were ok. I met some cool people and one guy I could tell who didn't like me from the start. The management seemed full of themselves and for offering an entry level position with training they make it too hard to get into. However reading reviews from employees on this site before the interview, the people seemed happy and it didn't seem stressful. Based on what I saw I wouldn't mind working there, but also this was after hours and I don't know how it really is there. in the end, I know I didn't get the job, but it's no loss based on the low pay and the high amount of stress.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me how float and clear works in CSS?   Answer Question
    • How does it work in a ASP.net form where you fill out the form and e-mail the information to an e-mail account?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Markit (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process was extremely fast. They emailed me and asked me to come in. I met with 6 people over 2.5 hours. Most questions were very general and were more to see if I would be a personality fit at the firm. Some questions were specific to the role I was applyng for. It always helps if you are technologically oriented when interviewing at Markit. Any VBA/ SQL skills can only help.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in January 2010.

Interview

Varies but is usually done in a hiring fair style.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience in Finance, Technology, and Project Management/Account Management.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much room to negotiate.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in July 2009.

Interview

I was initially contacted by their HR department, which they refer to as Culture and Management, to schedule a phone screening with a member of the development team. After passing the phone interview, on-site interviews were scheduled. I first met with the HR Manager, who described the position and asked questions about my availability and salary requirements. She stated the salary range of the position and coincidentally, the high end of the range was the same as the bottom end of the range I entered on the application. I should also note that the high end of the salary range is 15% lower than the average salary for this position in the Boulder area. Next I was placed at a computer and given a 30 minute technical test which was pretty basic. I then spent 30 minutes with the two team leads. Their questions were primarily situational. After this, there was an interview with a director and VP of development. A couple of days later, I was called by HR and asked to meet with the COO and the VP of Enginnering. These meetings were on different days and added two weeks to the interview process. The interview with the COO was more of a discussion about the position and corporate culture. The interview with the VP of Engineering included more questions about my technical background.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a technical problem you faced and how you resolved the problem   Answer Question

Junior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in July 2009.

Interview

Most of the interview process involved speaking with other developers and hr staff. My process involved 2 phone interviews, a request for some code samples, and one in-person interview with numerous developers and hr representatives. The office environment is very laid back, though their dress code should not be yours during the interview process. They tend to value creativity, talent, and experience. In addition, since I was an out of town candidiate, they offered to cover some of my expenses (some, not all, though that is better than most companies these days). All in all, the process was fair and the people were pleasant. The only sour point for me was not receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you had to dive into a new language.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in May 2009.

Interview

Relatively laid back, non-specific questions about the position. Main focus of the interview was around my background, previous work experience, views on running a project.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiations were possible, and was able to negotiate a higher salary.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in January 2009.

Interview

I was called in and met with about 8 different Design leads, and finally I met with the Creative Director. I and they asked some questions, I showed them all some work samples, and it was very chit chatty and not very formal. It seemed that they cared a lot about how well we all connected.

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember the questions. They wanted to see my work.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straightforward. I asked for a higher salary, they notched it down a little, I accepted. I may have been able to notch it back up slightly.

Associate Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Markit (New York, NY) in June 2008.

Interview

asked everything from quant questions to basic questions about the market. had to have sales experience and know how to communicate and deal with clients.

Interview Questions

• How many feet of pizza is consumed during one year in the united states   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Markit (Boulder, CO) in February 2008.

Interview

Phone Interview for Interest; 2on 1 three weeks later, took a test, must've done well, they called next day

Interview Questions

• if you were a flower, what kind of flower would you be?   1 Answer

received better offer from another company