Markit

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boulder, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Markit in November 2012.

Interview Details – 1. HR Interview
2. Technical phone screen
3. Standard engineer test
4. On-site interview

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Boulder, CO

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Markit in February 2011.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview(mostly C++ questions)
2. C++ Skills Test
3.Couple of 1:1's.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – They don't negotiate and pay much less for beginners.

Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Markit in January 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview with technical questions first. Since the job was for C++ developer, mainly C++/STL questions like what's pass by reference, what is iterator of STL classes, etc. And some SQL questions like what's aggregation and how to use cluster index.
A few days after the phone interview, got the request of onsite interview. This is more standard engineer interview, which common questions like "describe your strength and weakness", "why do you want to leave your current job". People were friendly. The workplace looked quite crowed and noisy.

Interview Questions

• In C++, the iterator of a map class, what does it point to?   Answer Question
  • If you are increasing an STL iterator in a for statement, would prefix or posfix "++" be faster?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Markit in June 2010.

Interview Details – Communication skill of the interviewer was very poor. He was not able to clearly convey what he was trying to ask. Adament attitude.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Markit.

Interview Details – Initial step was a simple programming test, timed from when they send it to you. It's 3 questions, some SQL, PHP, and something random. They are pretty easy to Google the questions, seem designed to weed out really bad candidates.

Interview was scheduled, unexpectedly had 3 teams interviewing (I guess to figure out where the best fit was?). Then another follow-up interview with a separate team...

After that, waited to hear about an offer - learned my HR person had quit and there was a new person from Texas who took over (it sounds like this happens a lot, and the HR person had just started 4 months prior!!). The offer was for 60k, with 6-years of experience, the exact same salary I had fresh from school. Tried to negotiate on salary or perks, they wouldn't budge.

The only people taking such a low tech salary are either people trying to break into a new sector, or people who can't get hired anyplace else. Regardless, there's no reason to stay at a place like this for more than 12-24 months at such low pay. Really glad I turned down the offer, although I'm amazed they can keep the building full with those kind of offers... tech market is pretty good in this area!!

Interview Question – An XML parsing question, heh.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary much too low.

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Markit in December 2011.

Interview Details – 15 minute phone interview first, by an engineering manager. Consisted of 3 questions: 1) why are you looking/leaving current employer? 2) Describe a time you worked on something hard, a problem that you solved, that you were proud of. 3) What do you think you would bring to our company?

3 hour onsite interview with HR, then skills test, then 2-on-1 interview, facility tour, and 1-on-1 interview. All people I talked with were management, had been with the company 6 to 14 years.

HR wants to know job and salary history, salary requirements.
Technical managers ask questions about resume, what I've worked on lately. Interested in why I'd be leaving current employer, what I'd be looking for.

Skills test had C/C++, SQL, and XPath questions. 30 minutes to complete. I did not complete (interviewers showed up). Questions like: Implement in place string reversal. Implement linked list insert. Given some database tables, show query to list all names having a specific attribute. show query to list all names NOT having some attribute. Given XML snippet, show various XPath representations.

Interview Question – Walk me through a specific process described in your resume (interviewer cited a line item in my resume).   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Markit in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interview setup by agent. First interview was a one hour 1:1 with the team lead. Consisted of technical questions, logic puzzle and general questions to gauge team skills.

Second 1:1 interview with another senior developer and then with business analysts. Senior developer asked technical questions about java and multi-threading. Business analysts asked some basic finance questions and one problem to calculate. Finally last session with HR person.

Interview Question – What is the entity manager in Hibernate?   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Markit in May 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted to have an phone interview with one of the team lead of the technical support. It was a very nice person who asked me questions regarding functions of the programming languages. Questions asked consist of template, generic, polymorphism, and multi-thread process. The interviewer was very kinda to answer questions I asked regarding the position

Interview Questions

Worked for Markit? Contribute to the Community!