Marks & Spencer

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2011.

Interview Details – There was an online application, with standard information about your education and work experience. You were then told if your application was successful or not. If successful you were invited for an interview. Standard questions were asked; why you think you are right for this role? Etc. You were also asked to do a role play exercise. You were given 10minutes at the beginning to go through a sheet with information on. Standard example- a customer wants to but a sofa but it is out of stock in the size that they want, there are alternatives but they rely want that exact sofa. You have to inform the customer of the situation, offer then alternatives and provide customer service. The role play is carried out by a member of staff conducting the interview whole another observes. This lasts approximately 10 minutes. This is then followed by a casual chat. They decide and inform you almost immediately.

Interview Question – In the role play exercise, ensure that you stand up, greet the customer and inform them of the alternatives available like online.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Select the days you could work

Kent, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2010.

Interview Details – Online Test and then interview

Interview Question – No question - had to do a role play, where the interviewer played a customer with a problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Eastbourne, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2013.

Interview Details – Application process is online questionnaire based, common sense answers abound. Hint: (This is obviously a customer service role so everything you do or say will need to involve helping the customer directly!!! i.e. Stopping in the middle of something to help and keeping them happy.).

After that, if you got enough of the questions right you'll be asked to select an interview time slot, they'll send you an email to confirm and requests you bring things like a passport, NI number and proof of address.

Interview is 1 on 1 where firstly they go through your details, then ask you to do a role play where you help the interviewer who is taking the role of a customer and you, the assistant. You are presented with a briefing sheet on a fictional scenario in a pretend company (NOT M&S). You then get 5 mins to prepare and take notes about what is listed as out of stock and what is an adequate replacement, Don't worry you can always refer to the briefing sheet during the role play itself, you can hold it during if you want.

You'll probably never look at your notes anyway.
The scenario is something easy, I only had to sell chicken! It practically sells itself!

After that, you fill in a form about how well you think you did, what was good and what could be better.
Then you are interviewed by a manager and they ask you fairly standard questions like what experience of customer service you have, why do you want work for M&S and what ambition you have. You are then asked what your preferred department to is if you have not already applied specifically. Then the interview draws to a close when you can ask them any questions you want and you give them your clothes sizes.

Then just sit back, relax, and wait for the phone call the next day that will tell you if you have been successful or not. If you don't get the phone call the next day then ring them ASAP.

If successful, then you will get forms in the post to fill in and bring to your induction day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at M&S rather than [Other retailer]   Answer Question

Customer Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview Details – ok so i passed the online assesment with m&s then booked a slot time for interview/assesment got to m&s a lady form the clothing department explained that she was doing the role play with me she left the room and i had 5 minutes to read the information, i was playing the role of an assistant a customer came in the store with a jacket she bought for an interview it was too big and needed to exchange it but there wasn't the size she was after i had to find a solution. anyway finished that part was sent out with a sheet asking what i thought went well and what didn't, next i had the interview with the manager basically she had a sheet with 10 questions on and i had to explain in detail mostly about retail but some about m&s. once that was over i was sent back out to wait while the manager and the lady discussed my interview i was called back in and told by the lady not the manager id passed very pleased until i was told id be put into a system and compared to the 2 top interviews they had by a point scoring system and if my points were higher i would get one of the two positions available!!. Ok i thought wait a minute you never said anything about this at the beginning then i noticed the two she was talking about must have already got the jobs because on the side i see there signed contracts. she explained she would do it and if i got the job she would ring me if i never then because i passed everything i would get a phone call for the christmas vacancy!!. i was shocked to say the least why interview me for jobs that had already been taken. anyway the way they went about it all was so unprofessional.

Interview Question – i was asked 10 questions.   Answer Question

Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in May 2013.

Interview Details – There were 2 women interviewing, both were very nice. I was given laminated sheets to look at to 'prep' for the role play, my one was to do with beachwear and selling extra holiday items and only took around 5 minutes. Afterwards I was interviewed by the manager and the questions were all pretty standard, as long as you knew some facts about the company and explained why you would be good for the role in detail you would be fine! I got the job and accepted.

Interview Question – What sets aside Marks & Spencers to other retail companies   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2012.

Interview Details – a role play on the day.

Interview Question – the customer would like advice on furniture however it was not available, what would you do   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiate shift & hours

Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Interview Details – It's basically a role playing exercise with the interviewer being the customer and you being the customer assistant. Beforehand, hey give you a problem written down and they give you separate bits of information for you to work out the solution to the problem in ten minutes. It's pretty easy as I passed it twice without really thinking too hard. You pretty much just connect all the obvious dots that's laid out before you.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult questions, just normal questions about yourself and work ethic.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Marks & Spencer

Interview Details – Filled in a straightforward online application. Visited a local store where a very nice lady asked me a few questions about details of my application, nothing strenuous, just "tell me a bit more about this" sort of stuff.

She then did a role play which involved giving me a few minutes to look over some details of a shop I was supposed to be working in, and a specific product. She then played a customer who was interested in the product, and I had to sell it to her.

After that she made a job offer on the spot.

Interview Question – Honestly, there was nothing unexpected. Even the role play was easy; she was a very obliging customer.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview Details – Online questionnaire, interview and role-play

Interview Question – unsure   Answer Question

Customer Assistant
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2012.

Interview Details – First of all there was a series of on-line role plays to discover whether or not you are suitable for the job applied for. If suitable, then you will be congratulated and invited to an interview in store. This interview consisted for a role play in which a member of staff pretends to be a customer with a certain need. You have 10 minutes to prepare, by making notes and revising the provided material the will be useful to the role play. Then a store manger will finish off the interview process by a brief interview, consisting of simple questions, which are asked in quite an informal style.

Interview Question – Describe your journey to the store today.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marks & Spencer

Worked for Marks & Spencer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Marks & Spencer employees and interview candidates.