Marks & Spencer Customer Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Helens, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Saint Helens, OR) in November 2014.

Interview

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Marks & Spencer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I went in and was told about the role play, had about 10 minutes to go over the resources given. My assessor came in and told me to start when I was ready so I did. My scenario was that the customer was looking for Parma ham and red peppers but we had ran out. so I gave loads of alternatives and offered desserts and drinks and other items. I then got given a self assessment paper to fill out asking what went well, what went less well and how I would do it differently. I wrote about how I felt like I was very confident and I wrote about how I should have used more eye contact. after 10 minutes of waiting she came in and told me I had been unsuccessful because I never made enough eye contact with her during the role play.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aylesbury, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Aylesbury, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The first stage was a ten minute long role play where I posed as a customer assistant and had to help a member of staff who acted as a customer. It was one on one and you were required to use your initiative by making recommendations. The next stage was a formal interview with the manager. Finally they offer you the job and go through hours and availability.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

For the first interview I had a role play and had to answer basic questions about why I would work for M & S and why they should pick me. I was then given the job there (Temp). For my Permanent interview I had to do a very short role play and have a conversation with a manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself
      Why should I select you over any other

Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hereford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Hereford, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was led by one of their coaches/HR. They spoke through how the interview would be and I was scored throughout, even casual questions and comments where noted.

The interview then followed on to a role play activity where I had to liaise with a new colleague and subtly offer my help and guidance after seeing them perform a task incorrectly multiple times.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a situation where a customer with learning and/or physical disabilities required help?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Good, Engaging, Enjoyable. . . .

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wirral, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Wirral, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

After completing the assessment process online which I found some questions were repetitive and became slightly confused with the "most like you or least like you " part, I was lucky enough to find out straight away I had passed these. I then booked an interview for the Monday morning. I thought this part of the interview process was fantastic rather than waiting around for an email or letter to confirm you had been successful to the next stage.
    I researched online what a m and s interview required and looked into the back ground of the company and what they aim for now as a company. I noticed everyone had stated a role play was part of the process so was expecting this as part of the process.
    Upon arrival of the store I was asked to sit in the staff canteen which I was very impressed with , free fruit, drinks and bread available to the staff . I was then called into the stock room/ warehouse were a table and chairs had been set up. I was left to read several pieces of paper as the role play was regarding a customer wanting Parma ham that had sold out. 2 employees came back in , 1 observed whilst the other was the customer. All went well and I even suggested drinks and dessert walking the customer to different areas of the stock room to pretend shelving. Then told her of promotions and offered to assist her to the till if I had helped her with everything she had needed.
    Role play finished I was given a form to fill out asking me to write down what I thought went well ,could of done better and left for 10 minutes. I was then told I had passed and a manager came in to interview me. This was quite informal and she made me feel very relaxed. Asking me around 5 questions, to tell her about about my employment back ground, give her examples of what to do if a product was out of stock , why I wanted to work for m and s and what would I least like about the position I had applied for. I talked about how I liked the plan a strategy and if a product was out of stock to find an alternative and that there wasn't any part of the job I would least like as we are all expected to do the same .
    She wished me well and went out the room. 10 minutes later the first assessor came back in and told me I had passed the managers part of the interview and told me I was the first interviewee and as they had a couple of days of interviews lined up they would let those who had got the job know by end of the week.i was asked to fill in more forms , asking for emergency contacts, bank details, other hours I could work etc. She said if it came down to it then they would have to decide by the scoring system I gather this is the online assessment and the interview scores added up . I asked if those not successful would be told she said no. So I'm leaving it till Friday afternoon then will call to ask how I had done. She also pointed out that if I wasn't successful that if I found any other vacancies online within 6 months I didn't have to go through the interview stages I wound be able to phone the recruitment line and ask for a 1:1 interview. I enjoyed the process and staff were lovely but after reading a few reviews who had said they were told there and then if they had been offered a job I'm wondering if I've not been successful in gaining a position.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Interviews was very easy, firstly it was group session which included some activities. Session lasted for about half a day. It was followed by one to one interview which was very easy. basic usual question.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Exeter, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Exeter, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very Smooth process, overall 2 weeks, online application is straight forward, and you know straight away if you get an interview is great! The interview itself was extremely laid back and easy if you do your research, the "role play" is nothing to be scared of, I just had to help find an alternative shirt to the one which was out of stock and upsale alot! M&S are a tad unreliable to contact and find out info so recommend to keep in contact with school, I phoned up and was offered my induction there and then, though on the day this did not go to plan I have to go again because f a muddle up, but staff are so lovely and seems like a great company so far!

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work for M&S?"   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

The whole process took about a week, and I would just like to say that I am 17 and got offered a position so don't be put off if you don't have loads of experience because I certainly don't! I started my application by looking at the M+S careers website to see if any positions were available near me, once I had found a suitable one I was able to begin the lengthy application process. The on-line application consists of 3 main parts; your details, some personality statements where you tell them a bit about yourself by saying how much like you each of the statements is, followed by some animated situations a customer assistant may face each day. It's all quite straightforward but rather time consuming, it takes around 45 minutes to an hour. When all of this has been completed you are told straight away whether you have passed the application. if you have been successful you will be able to book an interview there and then. I did some research into the interview process and found out that there would be 'role play' involved which sounded awful as I had never done anything like it before, so by the time I got to the interview I was very nervous, the interviewer was very sympathetic though and understood it wasn't an easy situation to be in and was very calm and easy to talk too which helped a lot with the nerves. There were two people in the first stage one of which was the interviewer and one who would be sitting there taking notes of the role play. The interviewer explained what was going to happen and what the materials they had given me were. I was then given a little over 5 minutes to read through the information and make some notes (it was more than enough time to be honest) I then arranged the food products spread out a bit so I could take the 'customer' to them, then the second person came back in to make sure I understood everything and then the role play began, mine was about a customer wanting a butter nut squash which was out of stock, so I offered him some substitutions and told him about the range of vegetarian ready meals the company offered. It lasted no more than 5-10 minutes and I was told it went well. I then had to fill out a "what went well/what didn't go well" form while they went to discuss my results. Then they came back in a told me I had passed, we then spent about 25 minutes filling in a load of forms. After which a line manager came in and asked a few basic questions following a sheet she had, this part lasted around 15-20 minutes and then that was it. I received a phone call the next day offering me a position.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want a job in retail and why have you chosen Marks and Spencers?   1 Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.