Marks & Spencer

Updated Jan 22, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Helens, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Helens, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Appied on line was told straight away I was succesful was given an interview for mon 3/11/2014 I was told straight away I had passed the assessment they took my bank details ect recived a call this morning 05/11/2014 saying I had got the job

Customer Assistant- Temporary Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

The application process was straight enough. I applied online followed by questionnaire which lasted around 30 ish minutes. The questionnaire was mainly about how would you act in different situations with customers. The results were immediate and then had to select the date for interview.
    The interview was of two stages: Role play followed by an interview with the manager.
    In the role play, I was given a list of the menswear (could be anything even foods, ladies wear) like their descriptions, availability of different colors, latest promotions, current stock level etc. I had 10 minutes to have a look about all of them and to makes notes in a paper that they provided.The assessor then comes as a customer and asks questions just like a customer who is unable to find something and help them.
    The success of role play is being calm, welcoming and smiling. It is essential to state the promotional offers and also help a customer (assessor) by saying that a product can be ordered online if it is out of stock. These are the key things what they look for.
    If the role play stage is cleared, then it is an interview with the manager.
    Since, it was very busy times during Christmas, I didn't have a formal interview. I was just asked about my availability and if I had any experience.

Graduate Retail Management Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in January 2015.

4 stage process: (1) Online application; (2) Online tests, numerical and verbal reasoning; (3) Telephone/video interview; (4) Assessment day.

I had the telephone interview which consisted of standard competency-based questions. As I am aware, the video interview is very similar, however speaking to a blank screen and recording your answers.

The assessment day consisted of a group exercise, a role play, an analytical study and presentation, and finally a one-to-one interview. Took all day, but they provide lunch, refreshments and even pay for travel!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to change a way of working.   Answer Question

Cafe Assistant Interview

Was asked lots of questions about why I thought I would be good for the role, filled out a 25 question test on food safety concepts (multiple choice) and then scored based on what I got. I got 18/25 and told I had passed, so not sure what the minimum pass rate was.

Interview Questions
    • What would one of the downsides be to working at this store?   Answer Question

Was offered a different role instead in the store even though I had been offered the one I came in for. Decided there was a better role in the store for me than the one I came in for.

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

The whole process took about a week, and I would just like to say that I am 17 and got offered a position so don't be put off if you don't have loads of experience because I certainly don't! I started my application by looking at the M+S careers website to see if any positions were available near me, once I had found a suitable one I was able to begin the lengthy application process. The on-line application consists of 3 main parts; your details, some personality statements where you tell them a bit about yourself by saying how much like you each of the statements is, followed by some animated situations a customer assistant may face each day. It's all quite straightforward but rather time consuming, it takes around 45 minutes to an hour. When all of this has been completed you are told straight away whether you have passed the application. if you have been successful you will be able to book an interview there and then. I did some research into the interview process and found out that there would be 'role play' involved which sounded awful as I had never done anything like it before, so by the time I got to the interview I was very nervous, the interviewer was very sympathetic though and understood it wasn't an easy situation to be in and was very calm and easy to talk too which helped a lot with the nerves. There were two people in the first stage one of which was the interviewer and one who would be sitting there taking notes of the role play. The interviewer explained what was going to happen and what the materials they had given me were. I was then given a little over 5 minutes to read through the information and make some notes (it was more than enough time to be honest) I then arranged the food products spread out a bit so I could take the 'customer' to them, then the second person came back in to make sure I understood everything and then the role play began, mine was about a customer wanting a butter nut squash which was out of stock, so I offered him some substitutions and told him about the range of vegetarian ready meals the company offered. It lasted no more than 5-10 minutes and I was told it went well. I then had to fill out a "what went well/what didn't go well" form while they went to discuss my results. Then they came back in a told me I had passed, we then spent about 25 minutes filling in a load of forms. After which a line manager came in and asked a few basic questions following a sheet she had, this part lasted around 15-20 minutes and then that was it. I received a phone call the next day offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want a job in retail and why have you chosen Marks and Spencers?   View Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.

Customer Assistant Interview

The online application process was a nice and smooth experience. I didn't have any problems with completing the questionnaire and answering the scenario questions. So I passed and was allowed to book an interview.
    On the other hand, the interview process itself was quite stressful. Although I tried to offer alternatives and find the best possible matches for the customer, I wasn’t very persuasive and thus probably didn’t look like a good candidate for them.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Firstly i applied online and then i was given date to choose. And when i went there first i have to sign in .then the manager came and take me to the room where interview has to be done..i had to do a role play..where the customer want a butter squash and it was out of stock...all i need to do was give him all alternative..tell him about online delivery..and offer him to go and have a looki in other store

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Yarmouth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Yarmouth, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

I Applied online and was emailed to book an interview straight away. When I arrived, I went to the customer service desk to book in. I was taken to a small room for the interview and asked to do a role-play where the interviewer was the customer, using the sheets provided. Didn't pass this portion of the interview as I didn't try to 'up-sell' to the customer enough. The staff were friendly, but overall not a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Being expected to 'up-sell' the customer as much as a I could...   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Online questions were pretty basic then you do a role play scenario and i passed successfully and got and interview. The interview was role play where you had 10 mins to read 6 A4 cards with information on a product. The 10 mins seemed to go really fast so quickly read them as I didn't get a chance to read all of them ( that's what i failed with) but u can write notes which the interviewer looks at and u are left alone whilst reading the cards and as soon as the interviewer comes into the room she is acting as a customer it was basis questions about the product shown ( mine was vegetarian foods) and if u are success you the speak to the manager for a 1 tto 1 interview which i did not get though as i didn't read all the cards

Commercial Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Initially I was contacted through LinkedIn, this was then followed by an phone interview, very basic, which then led to a mock assessment via email.
    Commercial Analysis with action plan presentation for 90mins, swot plan with 30, 60 & 90 day actions. This is then followed by 30min interview, about previous experience and what you can offer the business.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you give a manager opportunity to fail, when you were briefed that they were a problem.   View Answer