Marks & Spencer Interview Questions in London, UK

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

I was left for 5 minutes to read over some resources, and then the recruiter returned as a customer and we engaged in a role play. I was then left to write about what I thought went well/less well. After passing the role play section I had a 1:1 interview with the commercial manager, with pretty interview general questions and then the recruiter came back into the room and told me I had been successful straight away and I had to fill out some forms.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work with M&S?   1 Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Reading, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

So After getting through the main online questionnaire stage, i was told straight away whether or not i had been successful for a face to face interview, which i did. When i arrived at the store i was directed to wait for a member of staff near the customer service area where i will be picked up and shown to the interview room. 2 people arrived shortly, one doing the role play and the other assessing/ asking the interview questions. When i was sat down in the interview room this is the summarised process as what happened 1) 5 sheets of A4 paper will be laid down in front of you containing information on products and items that will match the scenario you are given (its really obvious what scenario you are given from the items you will have up sell etc.) 2) Both interviewers will leave the room for 5 minutes to allow you to take notes on whats on the piece of paper, although i was told you are allowed to use the sheets of paper if you wanted to, however advised that it would be better not to as it created better flow and less pauses in between. 3) for my scenario i got asked for parma ham, which was out of stock. so i had to recommend seranno ham (all this information is presented in table on the A4 paper, it will say parma ham = out of stock, serrano recommended etc.). Then i got asked about other items that were out of stock and at this point you want to upsell and recommend alternatives, also if on the A4 paper mentions stuff on offer eg. buy 3 mix and match for £4. Try to fit that in. 4) after this role playing stage, the actual interview process took place, which involved the standard questions such as why you want to work there etc/

Interview Questions

• what does customer service mean?   1 Answer
    • why you want to work there   1 Answer

Cafe Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Bromley, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Went through an intensive online application process and was offered an interview immediately for the next day. This gave me little time to prepare. Upon arrival of the store you have to check in and are taken to wait for the interviewee. The interviewer asked if i had done something similar before and if I knew what to expect, I said i had heard there was a role play involved and some questions to see if i was suitable for the role. Without asking any questions we jumped straight into the role play. I was given five minutes to learn four pages of products and know if they where in-stock and the names of what they are, a long with two more pages of materials that where suggesting local stores in the area and drinks to compliment the role play. All in all, the application process is quick and upfront about whether you got the job or not, however, the role play was unrelated to the tasks I would be doing and very memory intensive, i left feeling I had been set-up to fail.

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got confirmation of an interview on the same day of applying. The interview consisted of a role play in which lead to a 1:1 interview with a manager if you were successful. Role play was fairly easy as you needed to be in character and make sure you, up-sell, give good alternatives to products that the customer (interviewer) wanted, make sure you approach the customer first, make sure you are confident and also promote any offers in store. The 1:1 interview was fairly easy with usual interview questions such as why do you want to work for us?

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

They said that some stores do not do a role play no more.So me and the interviewer had a 1 on 1 interview where they asked me questions about the company and what I could bring to it.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

For the first interview I had a role play and had to answer basic questions about why I would work for M & S and why they should pick me. I was then given the job there (Temp). For my Permanent interview I had to do a very short role play and have a conversation with a manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself Why should I select you over any other   Answer Question

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

very quick after an online application, interview was four days later, online was questions about how you would react to various situations you might come across in a store, with multiple choice eg what would you do if a customer was shouting at your colleague, or if a product was out of stock

Interview Questions

• what makes good customer service, I failed as i wasn;'t enthusiastic enough.   Answer Question

Retail Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Online Application, followed by numeracy and verbal psychometric tests and situational judgement questionnaire. I was then invited for a phone interview, which was a cold experience with an outsourced interviewer who kept cutting me off. I was then invited for an assessment day and final interview, which consisted of pre-work in the form of a personality questionnaire. At the assessment day, there were three activities, which tested everything from your leadership skills to commercial awareness. This was followed by a face to face interview. I waited two months to hear their response.

Interview Questions

• General competency questions: a time that you dealt with a challenging situation in a team, a time that you had to lead a team, a time that you challenged a person in authority. Also questions geared towards the company and industry: Why M&S? What are the challenges for M&S? What are the challenges of multichannel? etc.   Answer Question

Deli Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cheshunt, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cheshunt, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Online application took me some time to fill in and to go through the different test they send me.nothing difficult,but require patient and maybe use of internet if you are not sure about some answers.than,I get invitation for interview.first,They gave me 5 cards with informations to use for role play.you have to sell,sell,sell...and the key to the success is to smile and be polite for customer,ask the questions,give information's about promotions,deals etc. You do not have to read all information from the cards,just try to be familiar with the products ,and you always can look on the cards when in the role play.SMILE,be friendly because they are☺After,they told me I am successful in the role play and ask me usual interview's questions.Search they website and you find all the answers they want to hear.Tell them how great is they customers' service...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us? Why do you thing will be good for this position? What will you do as a deli counter?read job description!!!!!   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had my holiday booked,and have no problem to negotiate the start day.

Graduate Food Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Range of activities, one group, the rest one-on-one. Interviewers swap around the rooms so you have a different assessor every time. Assessors are all managers in the company and I found all but one to be really friendly. Relatively relaxed atmosphere, tasks are very interesting too. I was given a presentation to prepare prior to the day, the competencies interview was very very long.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate people that have been in a job/team longer than you to follow your ideas?   Answer Question