Marks & Spencer Interview Questions in London, UK

Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.7

Graduate Food Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in February 2015.

Range of activities, one group, the rest one-on-one. Interviewers swap around the rooms so you have a different assessor every time. Assessors are all managers in the company and I found all but one to be really friendly. Relatively relaxed atmosphere, tasks are very interesting too. I was given a presentation to prepare prior to the day, the competencies interview was very very long.

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate people that have been in a job/team longer than you to follow your ideas?   Answer Question

Retail Management Grad Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in January 2015.

Six stages including application form, numerical and verbal reasoning, sotuation judgement test, personality questionnaire, 30 minute telephone interview and 9 to 5 assessment day. The latter consisted of a group exercise, presentation & analysis, role play, competency based interview, lunch and tour of the store. They were very friendly and made me feel at ease. Despite having no background in retail or management, enthusiasm goes a long way.

Interview Questions
    • Competition in the retail sector?
      Challenges facing th sector in the next 5 years?
      Why I wanted the job?

Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clacton-on-Sea, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clacton-on-Sea, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

when I applied online I had to go through a choice based questionnaire and place them into how I rate them along with most important least important then a video with what you would do with the given situation in the video this lasted around 40 minutes
    I was then told to pick a date as I had passed the test and it showed a number of dates and I picked one
    On the day of assessment/interview I had to go the information desk and sign in I was then taken upstairs to the waiting room I only waited about 5 minutes before I was invited in once in I was introduced to the 2 ladies who interviewed me and made to feel at ease I was then told I would be doing a role play they left me with the details of the role play which was to do with a lady cooking a vegetarian lasagne and had come in for butternut squash but we were out of stock and I made the suggestion of sweet potato instead and made some suggestions for the other meals and said about new potatoes' going with a certain meal
    I was given a sheet once finished that said what did I do well and why what could of I done better and why
    I was then introduced to the line manager who carried out a very simple interview with the normal questions nothing unexpected

none

Commercial Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Initially I was contacted through LinkedIn, this was then followed by an phone interview, very basic, which then led to a mock assessment via email.
    Commercial Analysis with action plan presentation for 90mins, swot plan with 30, 60 & 90 day actions. This is then followed by 30min interview, about previous experience and what you can offer the business.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you give a manager opportunity to fail, when you were briefed that they were a problem.   View Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eastbourne, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eastbourne, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2013.

Application process is online questionnaire based, common sense answers abound. Hint: (This is obviously a customer service role so everything you do or say will need to involve helping the customer directly!!! i.e. Stopping in the middle of something to help and keeping them happy.).

After that, if you got enough of the questions right you'll be asked to select an interview time slot, they'll send you an email to confirm and requests you bring things like a passport, NI number and proof of address.

Interview is 1 on 1 where firstly they go through your details, then ask you to do a role play where you help the interviewer who is taking the role of a customer and you, the assistant. You are presented with a briefing sheet on a fictional scenario in a pretend company (NOT M&S). You then get 5 mins to prepare and take notes about what is listed as out of stock and what is an adequate replacement, Don't worry you can always refer to the briefing sheet during the role play itself, you can hold it during if you want.

You'll probably never look at your notes anyway.
    The scenario is something easy, I only had to sell chicken! It practically sells itself!

After that, you fill in a form about how well you think you did, what was good and what could be better.
    Then you are interviewed by a manager and they ask you fairly standard questions like what experience of customer service you have, why do you want work for M&S and what ambition you have. You are then asked what your preferred department to is if you have not already applied specifically. Then the interview draws to a close when you can ask them any questions you want and you give them your clothes sizes.

Then just sit back, relax, and wait for the phone call the next day that will tell you if you have been successful or not. If you don't get the phone call the next day then ring them ASAP.

If successful, then you will get forms in the post to fill in and bring to your induction day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at M&S rather than [Other retailer]   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stratford, London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stratford, London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2012.

go online to apply, fill in your own personal details add cv , 4 or 5 online tests quite easy but long after finishing wait for an email invite for a face to face interview .

Interview Questions
    • 5 minutes to tell me about yourself and your previous experiences and roles. why should we hire you. time when you went extra mile for someone   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2012.

2 face to face interviews
    Nothing of interest to add, it was a basic chat, they don't do competency based interviews, it was a lesurely stroll through my CV, description of role, and then asked to relate some of my experience to role, and to expland on my ideas of what I would do in the role.

Was not able to negotiate, was a fixed contract.

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2012.

Had one to one, the person who was the line manager had less knowledge then me and no past experience of the work.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2011.

Very simple interview of what I can remember followed by a role play which is very straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Asking for an item in the role play that you don't have.   Answer Question
    None at all

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2010.

Online Test and then interview

Interview Questions
    • No question - had to do a role play, where the interviewer played a customer with a problem   Answer Question
    None