Marks & Spencer Interview Questions in London, UK

Updated Jul 7, 2014

2.4

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eastbourne, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eastbourne, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2013.

Application process is online questionnaire based, common sense answers abound. Hint: (This is obviously a customer service role so everything you do or say will need to involve helping the customer directly!!! i.e. Stopping in the middle of something to help and keeping them happy.).

After that, if you got enough of the questions right you'll be asked to select an interview time slot, they'll send you an email to confirm and requests you bring things like a passport, NI number and proof of address.

Interview is 1 on 1 where firstly they go through your details, then ask you to do a role play where you help the interviewer who is taking the role of a customer and you, the assistant. You are presented with a briefing sheet on a fictional scenario in a pretend company (NOT M&S). You then get 5 mins to prepare and take notes about what is listed as out of stock and what is an adequate replacement, Don't worry you can always refer to the briefing sheet during the role play itself, you can hold it during if you want.

You'll probably never look at your notes anyway.
    The scenario is something easy, I only had to sell chicken! It practically sells itself!

After that, you fill in a form about how well you think you did, what was good and what could be better.
    Then you are interviewed by a manager and they ask you fairly standard questions like what experience of customer service you have, why do you want work for M&S and what ambition you have. You are then asked what your preferred department to is if you have not already applied specifically. Then the interview draws to a close when you can ask them any questions you want and you give them your clothes sizes.

Then just sit back, relax, and wait for the phone call the next day that will tell you if you have been successful or not. If you don't get the phone call the next day then ring them ASAP.

If successful, then you will get forms in the post to fill in and bring to your induction day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at M&S rather than [Other retailer]   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2012.

2 face to face interviews
    Nothing of interest to add, it was a basic chat, they don't do competency based interviews, it was a lesurely stroll through my CV, description of role, and then asked to relate some of my experience to role, and to expland on my ideas of what I would do in the role.

Was not able to negotiate, was a fixed contract.

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2012.

Had one to one, the person who was the line manager had less knowledge then me and no past experience of the work.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2011.

Very simple interview of what I can remember followed by a role play which is very straight forward.

Interview Questions
    • Asking for an item in the role play that you don't have.   Answer Question
    None at all

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2010.

Online Test and then interview

Interview Questions
    • No question - had to do a role play, where the interviewer played a customer with a problem   Answer Question
    None

Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2010.

At first, applicants who met the minimum requirements were required to complete three online tests including verbal, numerical and logical tests. A phone interview would follow approximately after a week if the applicant passed the tests. The online tests were not difficult if you practice enough, the phone interview was general straight but the lady did ask a random question about my opinion about the quality of their men's wear products. I personally think that their men's wear products were old fashioned and ugly so I had never bought any and therefore I was not able to give an answer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your favorite subject in university   View Answer
    • Do you think the quality of our men's wear products are as high as our home department products   View Answer

decline

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2009.

Asked to plan a party for a customer and you had a board with lots of different food on, I was given a basket to choose 10 things I would suggest to them.

Interview Questions
    Are you happy to work these hours?

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackney, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackney, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2009.

applied online, answered some questons (multiple choice), then an interview that was based on a role play. I was early for the interview and was a bit nervous at acting a part. the interview process was easy but I found it odd that i wasn't asked anything about myself or my abilities.

Store Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2008.

Main themes relating to this role: Time management, Work ethic, Discipline, Good communication skills

Interview Questions
    • Role play- How would you handle a set of unexpected questions from customers- Could be anything (If you don't know refer them to the right department)   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate the offer was good as was!