Marriott Interview Questions in Bethesda, MD

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.6

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marriott.

One-on-one Interview with VP and Senior Directors, back-to-back. Interview lasted all day, with no break in between. The questions were repetitive and the scheduled kept on switching between the interview panel. The second day I came in it was only hour long with two Senior Directors—one of them was late and barely engaged with me since he was on his phone most of the time. The second on admitted not having read my resume. He asked general background question (that were covered in the resume) and with only three minutes left, asked me if I had any questions for him. Since then, I've reached out to the recruiter and hiring manager but I haven't heard back. The recruiting at Marriott is mostly handled by Aon Hewitt contractors, and they tend not to be very organized in general, but considering this is a hospitality company, I thought it would be nice to least get a "thank you for time email", even if from the system.

Interview Questions
    • Each choose three questions to ask from a pre-determined list.   View Answer

Senior Director, Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in January 2015.

Short version: disorganized and smug.

I had a brief phone screen with HR, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Things went very well initially and we seemed to be on the same page, so she invited me to headquarters for an in-person interview with herself and several colleagues.

My itinerary was a complete mess. The car service didn't show up at the airport, so I called and they said they had no reservation under my name. Nobody at Marriott was available to confirm, but thankfully they took my word for it and sent a car that was billed to the company. When I checked in at the Bethesda Marriott, they tried to bill me for the room because the reservation said nothing about me being an interview candidate and contained no payment info. Again, they took my word for it and sorted it out. I caught the shuttle to HQ the following morning and arrived at 8:15 AM as my itinerary instructed, then sat in the lobby for 45 minutes because nobody I was meeting that day had arrived yet. The whole process was disorganized and not what I expected from a company that prides itself on its hospitality. I've interviewed with small startups that provided painless arrangements and treated me with a lot more respect.

I was supposed to meet with 5 people that day, but one was dropped from the schedule with no reason given. Of the hour I had with each interviewer, at least half of that was wasted on asinine questions based on the STAR system, which was cutting edge in 1976 when I was born. Despite this role being responsible for design, I had no interviews with any actual designers, just management. I also didn't meet with anyone from IT–a key partner to design. It was clear from my discussions that day that the relationship with IT is strained.

The last person I interviewed with was a VP who took the day off and interviewed me over the phone. She spent a lot of time talking about "innovation" and other buzzwordy nonsense. She also namedropped the previous employers of a few of their current designers and implied that I might not be up to managing such a group, which is a pretty smug attitude from a company with a fairly mediocre web site.

They thanked me for my time and invited me to e-mail them if I had any additional questions about the role. I followed up twice over the next 2 weeks and never received a reply. About 3 weeks after my interview, I received a canned HR rejection e-mail.

I've had really great experiences with a few companies who ultimately decided I wasn't the right fit, and that was just fine because they treated me with respect throughout the process. Marriott provided one of the worst interview experiences I've had in my 15-year career.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you disagreed with your supervisor. What action did you take? What was the result?   View Answer

Senior Manager, BMSC Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in July 2014.

Recruiter contacted me the same week I applied online. I had a phone interview the next week with the recruiter and she immediately scheduled me for an in person interview for the following week. Had two 30 minute interviews, both of which showed up to the designated conference room 20 minutes late. I previously interviewed with Marriott International for a Director role, and I once again got the feeling they had no intentions of filling the position from an external candidate. After 2 weeks I did not receive any follow up from the individuals I interviewed with or the Recruiting manager. I followed up and received the "Good luck on your job search". The recruiter also began the response email referring to me as the wrong name.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

I applied for the job on July 1 2013. On July 2, I received an email from the recruiter asking if I could do a phone screening as a pre-cursor to any job interviews. I agreed. The pre-screen phone call was on July 3 before the holiday weekend. On July 10 - I received an email informing me I would be meeting with the recruiter face-to-face as well as the hiring manager and her supervisor on July 12. After the first round of interviews - a day (or two) later, I was asked to come back the following week to meet with a few of the Leadership Team members (as a formality). From July 13 to August 1, the recruiter stayed in constant contact with me via email and phone letting me know what was going on with the position and the key players. I never felt "out of the know."

On August 2 - I got the call with the offer. The recruiter apologized for the process taking longer than expected (the reason: a key player was on vacation). I received a phone call the day before I started work on August 26 just to check in and make sure all was well. When I arrived on August 26, I was immediately greeted by the recruiter and an HR assistant and shown where to go and what paperwork to fill out. I was then escorted to Orientation - given a tour of the building - received my badge and temporary parking pass - and re-introduced to my team and hiring manager. The following day when I showed up for work, I was greeted by my hiring manager and shown to my cubicle where she had everything set up (e.g., laptop, chair, telephone, network access, telephone numbers, pamphlet on how to recycle), including a welcome card and cookies! My manager had even taken the time to schedule meet-n-greets with all my team members and clients so I didn't feel alone.

Overall, the hiring and interview process was an amazing experience for me. I'm not sure if my experience is the exception or the norm - but it was a great first impression.

Interview Questions
    • Marriott uses a specific interview process to maintain consistency across all interviews. The interviewers are certified in the process and know exactly what to ask and when. As such - make sure you come prepared for the interview. Interviewees who are unprepared will not make a good first impression.

How do you get prepared? Well, for starters dress appropriately and present yourself in a professional manner. The interview questions are behavioral in nature on competencies specific to the job you've applied to. Know what you've done without "regurgitating" your resume. Trust me - they've already reviewed and re-reviewed your resume several times and know what your resume says (and prepared multiple questions with follow-up questions). What they want to know is what's not on your resume. When you are asked a question - stop for a second - think about the question (even repeat the question for clarity, if necessary) and make sure your response provides the interviewer with the situation (what happened), the action you did in the situation, an the result of said action (regardless if it's positive or negative). Always. If not - they will circle back to get these answers, so be prepared to answer them one way or another.

And, most importantly, relax and have a conversation. Believe it or not - you're body language, demeanor, and how you respond to questions are also being "interviewed" and noted. This is - after all - a hospitality company!

View Answer
    I was able to negotiate salary (to a point) but nothing else (e.g., vacation, benefits).

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

Found the process to be unnecessarily drawn out and not terribly productive or insightful. They've basically been sold a corporate bill of goods by their "HR professionals"... sort of a CYA system called "The STAR System." When implementing this system the HR folks are basically left off the hook if someone were to not work out. I met with countless individuals over nearly 4 months time and oddly enough, never met with a single individual within my specific discipline. I found my recruiter to be incredibly insulting from the git-go and also a bit lazy and condescending at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • It's all based on "The STAR System." A series of questions that all begin with "Can you recall a time when you..." In truth? Had I really been willing to do absolutely anything to get the job? I just would've concocted works of fiction with the painfully obvious desired pat answers.   View Answer

Talent Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

Friendly recruiter and interview staff. They were all very professional and friendly. The recruiter was very quick to respond and helpful. I have no complaints about the interview process. It seemed fair and valid and it was a structured interview.

Interview Questions
    • I'd rather not post a question because I don't think it's fair to give future applicants those questions.   Answer Question
    The salary was not great, especially for the cost of living in Bethesda. Once they gave me a verbal offer, they took a long time to send me a hard copy of the offer. This was difficult for me because I had to wait to sign my new apartment lease until I had proof of the offer. This process could be improved.

Vice President Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Marriott in March 2013.

They use the STAR technique, situation/task, action you took, result.

Interview Questions
    • Biggest weaknesses (I didn't think people asked this anymore)   Answer Question
    Ask for more money. They don't pay particularly well.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

Initially contacted/by recruiter - phone interview. Scheduled for in-person interview with recruiter then hiring manager. Second interview with second hiring manager. Two weeks passed and then the offer call.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were run-of-the-mill .... if you've ever been on an interview you know it. Strengths and weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question
    I did not do a good job negotiating but others have and they are successful. If you know the rules of negotiating you'll get what you want.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marriott in June 2012.

Had 3 interviews and never heard back. I would have expected more from Marriott than to simply never call again. I think it would have been appropriate to at least let the candidate know, that they are not in the running anymore. Hopefully the rest of the organization has better manners.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in April 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter, completely out-of-the-blue. I was not looking for a job, so I was somewhat taken aback as it would have been a big step for me to leave my current position. After a phone interview, I was invited in to meet with the recruiter and then to meet with the hiring manager and that manager's VP. Everyone was very nice, but very tentative. It was a bit of a song and a dance, and a bit odd as they reached out to me and then they pushed me to explain why I wanted to work for them. Well, why did they want me? I hadn't even decided yet if I wanted the position, I was just responding to their offer.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any difficult questions at all. In fact, I probably asked the difficult question, because they couldn't answer my question.

They also stressed the corporate culture A LOT. It is quite formal. People either LOVE it or HATE it.

View Answer