Marriott Interview Questions in Bethesda, MD

2.7

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

I applied for the job on July 1 2013. On July 2, I received an email from the recruiter asking if I could do a phone screening as a pre-cursor to any job interviews. I agreed. The pre-screen phone call was on July 3 before the holiday weekend. On July 10 - I received an email informing me I would be meeting with the recruiter face-to-face as well as the hiring manager and her supervisor on July 12. After the first round of interviews - a day (or two) later, I was asked to come back the following week to meet with a few of the Leadership Team members (as a formality). From July 13 to August 1, the recruiter stayed in constant contact with me via email and phone letting me know what was going on with the position and the key players. I never felt "out of the know."

On August 2 - I got the call with the offer. The recruiter apologized for the process taking longer than expected (the reason: a key player was on vacation). I received a phone call the day before I started work on August 26 just to check in and make sure all was well. When I arrived on August 26, I was immediately greeted by the recruiter and an HR assistant and shown where to go and what paperwork to fill out. I was then escorted to Orientation - given a tour of the building - received my badge and temporary parking pass - and re-introduced to my team and hiring manager. The following day when I showed up for work, I was greeted by my hiring manager and shown to my cubicle where she had everything set up (e.g., laptop, chair, telephone, network access, telephone numbers, pamphlet on how to recycle), including a welcome card and cookies! My manager had even taken the time to schedule meet-n-greets with all my team members and clients so I didn't feel alone.

Overall, the hiring and interview process was an amazing experience for me. I'm not sure if my experience is the exception or the norm - but it was a great first impression.

Interview Questions
    • Marriott uses a specific interview process to maintain consistency across all interviews. The interviewers are certified in the process and know exactly what to ask and when. As such - make sure you come prepared for the interview. Interviewees who are unprepared will not make a good first impression.

How do you get prepared? Well, for starters dress appropriately and present yourself in a professional manner. The interview questions are behavioral in nature on competencies specific to the job you've applied to. Know what you've done without "regurgitating" your resume. Trust me - they've already reviewed and re-reviewed your resume several times and know what your resume says (and prepared multiple questions with follow-up questions). What they want to know is what's not on your resume. When you are asked a question - stop for a second - think about the question (even repeat the question for clarity, if necessary) and make sure your response provides the interviewer with the situation (what happened), the action you did in the situation, an the result of said action (regardless if it's positive or negative). Always. If not - they will circle back to get these answers, so be prepared to answer them one way or another.

And, most importantly, relax and have a conversation. Believe it or not - you're body language, demeanor, and how you respond to questions are also being "interviewed" and noted. This is - after all - a hospitality company!
        View Answer
    I was able to negotiate salary (to a point) but nothing else (e.g., vacation, benefits).

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

Found the process to be unnecessarily drawn out and not terribly productive or insightful. They've basically been sold a corporate bill of goods by their "HR professionals"... sort of a CYA system called "The STAR System." When implementing this system the HR folks are basically left off the hook if someone were to not work out. I met with countless individuals over nearly 4 months time and oddly enough, never met with a single individual within my specific discipline. I found my recruiter to be incredibly insulting from the git-go and also a bit lazy and condescending at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • It's all based on "The STAR System." A series of questions that all begin with "Can you recall a time when you..." In truth? Had I really been willing to do absolutely anything to get the job? I just would've concocted works of fiction with the painfully obvious desired pat answers.   View Answer

Talent Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

Friendly recruiter and interview staff. They were all very professional and friendly. The recruiter was very quick to respond and helpful. I have no complaints about the interview process. It seemed fair and valid and it was a structured interview.

Interview Questions
    • I'd rather not post a question because I don't think it's fair to give future applicants those questions.   Answer Question
    The salary was not great, especially for the cost of living in Bethesda. Once they gave me a verbal offer, they took a long time to send me a hard copy of the offer. This was difficult for me because I had to wait to sign my new apartment lease until I had proof of the offer. This process could be improved.

Vice President Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Marriott in March 2013.

They use the STAR technique, situation/task, action you took, result.

Interview Questions
    • Biggest weaknesses (I didn't think people asked this anymore)   Answer Question
    Ask for more money. They don't pay particularly well.

Administrative Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

Initially contacted/by recruiter - phone interview. Scheduled for in-person interview with recruiter then hiring manager. Second interview with second hiring manager. Two weeks passed and then the offer call.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were run-of-the-mill .... if you've ever been on an interview you know it. Strengths and weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question
    I did not do a good job negotiating but others have and they are successful. If you know the rules of negotiating you'll get what you want.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marriott in June 2012.

Had 3 interviews and never heard back. I would have expected more from Marriott than to simply never call again. I think it would have been appropriate to at least let the candidate know, that they are not in the running anymore. Hopefully the rest of the organization has better manners.

Communications Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in July 2011.

Contacted by HR, interviewed on-site. Process went pretty quickly.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to criticize one of their programs.

Most difficult part was that they could not answer my questions intelligently.
        Answer Question

Senior Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in June 2011.

Applied for a Senior Systems Analyst (Contract 2 Hire) some time back in May,2011. The first interview was over the phone and it lasted about 40 minutes, mainly scenario based questions, which went very well and they invited me for an in person.

The in person interview gave me a very bad impression of the work environment in Marriot, the person who interviewed me shook my hand and introduced himself then immediately started speaking to someone standing beside me, ignored me for a good 3 to 4 minutes and then started walking, I kind of followed him not knowing what else to do. I thought of leaving right there but then there would be no difference between him and me, he later went on to ask mundane textbook questions. What is webservice? What are atomic, composite and orchestrated webservices ( I think that question itself is wrong)? very light nothing deep,questions you would ask if you are conducting an interview for name sake. Also seemed uninterested in the process.

I asked him for some water after the interview and he tells me there are no cups in the building and I can buy water from the shop below, I said well it has been nice talking to you and left.

Interview Questions
    • If an MDB writes to a database and the database goes down, how would design a solution so that messages in the queue do not get lost   View Answer

The impression of the work environment that the interviewer projected seemed to indicate that this is not the environment I would enjoy working in.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marriott in November 2010.

Interviewing with Marriott was not a pleasant experience for me.

There were a couple of group/panel and 1:1 interviews over a 2 weeks period. Also I felt there was disconnect among interviewers about the position I applied for and skill set they were looking for.

The HR manager delegated setting up my interviews to a junior level person which in my view did not go very well. One person who was to interview never accepted the meeting notice (he was on vacation) and I had to wait in a closed conference room for an hour before the next interviewer showed up.

Other time they forgot to book the conference room, so the panel and I were booted out during the interview and had to find a different location.

After a few days of the interview, I got in touch with HR to understand where I stand and I got a very excited positive respond. But when I did not hear back for a couple of weeks I got back in touch with HR -- so far no reply from her.

Suggestion to Marriott HR – treat candidates with respect and let them know if you decide to go with another candidate.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in November 2010.

The hiring and interview process happened quickly. The professionalism should be adopted by other companies. Whether you are hired for the job or not, the recruiters do follow ups, to avoid and applicant waiting by the phone

Interview Questions
    • What has been your most challenging experience, either personal or professional   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, the salary was set, and I accepted

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!