Marriott

Relevance Date Difficulty

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in April 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring manager and her assistant asked me a few questions about my background. They asked me what was my greatest weakness.

Hostess Interview

Hostess
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in March 2012.

Interview Details – After applying for almost every position at the current Marriott hotel I work for, I received a phone call initially for a server position. I said I just filled in the application to get my name out there. The restaurant manager told me she was waiting for my hostess application to reach her and if everyone was good, I would have an interview. I went on an interview the following week after calling several times to keep in touch. I received a call that same day saying I did good and that I would be scheduled for an interview with the Human Resources Director and Director of Operations. All of the questions required me to give a beginning, middle, and resolution. Most questions were about customer service. I dressed business formal wearing a formal suit and closed shoes along with light makeup. I brought in a resume, cover letter, and reference list for both interviews as well. All the people I dealt with during the process were super nice and respectable. I didn't feel like just an ordinary applicant like at Hilton.

Interview Question – How did you deal with a difficult customer and what was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – After the second interview, about two hours later I got a call saying that I was offered the position. I wasn't told the pay rate initially but they did say that it was pretty competitive compared to other hotel corporations.

Event Concierge Interview

Event Concierge
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight forward. They first called me with a phone interview asking questions using the situation, action, response scenario. After this, I was called in for an interview with one of the managers, who then brought in other managers from the department and departments that I would be working with, and the director of my direct department. It took so long because I was coming in from another state so I had to coordinate my travel times. After the in-person interview, they offered me the job on the spot, took me on a tour, and I got to meet a lot of people that I would be working with. Employment depended on a drug test, background check, and after passing these, a 2 day orientation training.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Front Desk Agent Interview

Front Desk Agent
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in March 2011.

Interview Details – The first week of March I applied for the front desk position and received a call from the HR manager to come in for an interview on the 15th. She stated that I would be meeting with her and the Hotel Manager. At the interview, I met with the HR Manager first. The first question, or statement was, " so, tell me about yourself,'' and I told her my story. She also asked me if she were to call my manager, what were some of the qualities that he would mention about me. We discussed the hours and my flexibility in schedule, and also asked me what I would look for in an employee if I were to do the hiring.

Then I met with the Hotel Manager. He basically asked the same things, but added on some examples of my best and worst times working as a front desk agent.

I thought the first interview went well, but was worried because I didn't receive a call back. HR called back in approx. 10 days to schedule me for a second interview with the front desk supervisor. She was more reserved and asked the same questions, and added on a question about teamwork.

Overall, it was a really good interview. I haven't received a call back yet. I did call to see if the position had been filled, but the HR manager was out of town at the time, They still have not returned my call yet, and it's been about a week. So I'm hoping they are still deliberating :)

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in March 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the Sales Assistant job at Marriott. Interview went pretty well, they asked the typical marriott STAR interview questions. Asked strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Interview Question – Name a situation where you didnt get along with a coworker and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Line Cook Interview

Line Cook
Chicago, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interviewer was the sue chef at the hotel. He was polite.. he asked where I had gone to culinary school so I answered he considered it a good school. He asked me what I had learned there and followed by asking me the 5 mother sauces.

Event Manager Interview

Event Manager
Chicago, IL

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Marriott in August 2008.

Interview Details – Becoming an event manager was my dream, and I had been with Marriott 2 years prior to looking into this position. I applied for the position towards the end of July 2008 and was contacted approximately one week later by Hewitt (their external HR service). The Hewitt representative informed me that I was going to have 3 interviews with the current senior event managers. Those interviews happened by phone on one day the following week. Each event manager had different personalities, and I appealed to each person based on the questions they asked. For example, one event manager was interested in how I worked within a team and another was more concerned with my work ethic/organizational skills. After the interviews (with additional candidates), the event managers had to meet and discuss who should be moved on to the second round of interviewing. I wrote thank you notes and delivered them to the hotel the day after my interviews. The thank you notes were personalized for each individual by using specific examples from the interview and expounding on how I can fulfill their expectations for the hotel. I was then contacted again by the Hewitt representative the week after that who informed me I would be interviewing with the Food and Beverage Director and the on-site Human Resources Director. I interviewed with them the following week against another candidate (who interviewed separately). The Food and Beverage Director asked me several standard questions, but then began gearing it toward personal motivations. The one question I remember most is "Tell me something about yourself that I can't get from your resume" and asked me to explain how that would be beneficial to the hotel. I'm originally from North Carolina and expressed how my upbringing with Southern hospitality was essential to being in and is the foundation of the hospitality industry (i.e. manners, politeness, treating every person with respect). I then met with the HR Director who asked many questions regarding why I would be an asset to the hotel. I then wrote thank you notes to both individuals, again personalizing each note, and delivered them directly to the hotel. The final step was meeting with the General Manager who was out of the office for 2 weeks following the other two interviews. I, again, was contacted by the Hewitt rep. who informed me that I would be having a final interview with the GM. The day I met with the GM, I was expecting an interview, but was offered the position in person. It was one of the most exhilerating moments of my life, and I will never forget that day for as long as I live. How I prepared for the interviews (every one of them) was by studying the layout/specs of the hotel, reading the job description, and by preparing specific examples to standard questions I knew would be asked. I had not had prior experience as an event manager, yet I was offered the position over 2 candidates who were technically more qualified. This reasoning was explained to me because of my enthisiasm and their perception of creative ideas I could bring to future clients. Marriott is a wonderful company which treats associates well, has an excellent benefits program, and keeps involved in its community as well as lends a global helping hand to environmental projects (most recently, the Juma rainforest pledging to help prevent deforestation). The Children's Miracle Network is another organization with which Marriott is closely affiliated and associates participate annually in the Torch Relay as well as other fundraising efforts. I am incredibly pleased with the company and can see myself with Marriott throughout my entire career.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that I wouldn't find out from your resume.   View Answer
  • You, as you've stated, have little experience in event management. Explain to me why you would excel in this position.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Due to my inexperience, I did not feel comfortable or that I have any leverage to negotiate. My salary was increased from my previous position, and I achieved my dream job at the ripe age of 24 with no prior experience.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!