Marriott

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bethesda, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Marriott in July 2013.

Interview Details – Found the process to be unnecessarily drawn out and not terribly productive or insightful. They've basically been sold a corporate bill of goods by their "HR professionals"... sort of a CYA system called "The STAR System." When implementing this system the HR folks are basically left off the hook if someone were to not work out. I met with countless individuals over nearly 4 months time and oddly enough, never met with a single individual within my specific discipline. I found my recruiter to be incredibly insulting from the git-go and also a bit lazy and condescending at the same time.

Interview Question – It's all based on "The STAR System." A series of questions that all begin with "Can you recall a time when you..." In truth? Had I really been willing to do absolutely anything to get the job? I just would've concocted works of fiction with the painfully obvious desired pat answers.   View Answer

Bethesda, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in June 2009.

Interview Details – It was a typical interview. While I'd done my homework, I found it not a challenge. There were questions around strategy, vision and leadership.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The salary.

Director

The process took a day - interviewed at Marriott in December 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for two Director positions. The first step is a basic phone interview with HR with basic questions on your background (i.e. walk me through your resume), why Marriott, availability, and salary requirements. Next step was 1-1 interviews with the number of interviews varying based on the group. For the first position, I only met with HR (typical behavioral interview) and the hiring VP (mixed behavioral and functional/experience questions). For the second position, I seemingly interviewed with the entire group having met with 9 people from Directors to VP's and a rep from HR. Interviews were mostly behavioral and the process seemed a bit unorganized as most of the interviewers asked the same questions. There was also a 2nd round of interviews for those who passed through. Having 10 interviews in the 1st round in a single day seemed to be unnecessary.

Interview Questions

• HR - Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult coworker. What was the situation and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • How would you describe your leadership style?   Answer Question

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!