Marriott Interview Questions

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

I applied online and received a called maybe two weeks later. I walked in the hotel. It was very elegant, lively, and simply beautiful. The Operation Manager conducted the interview in the lobby. It was very conversational, we even shared a couple of laughs. Questions weren't anything to complicated. Give lots of customer service examples about how you dealt with unfavorable situations. I think she loved that I had tough skin and was able to brush things off and keep rolling in past experiences. So after our interview, she checked to see if her manager was available for my second interview. I went to interview with her and they were the exact same question...easy :) I asked questions about the company and some day-to-day ops. After the interview I met with the Operations Manager and I signed a few papers about background checks and drug screening and I was on my way. I had the position, all I had to do was make sure my drug test, references, and background checks were clear. One week later I got an email saying, "Welcome to the Team!"

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a guest comes to you with a problem and no supervisor is around to help?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Marriott.

Process is very simple. Look for the job postings, apply, allow them to call you back. Once hired if you have an excellent HR department they have everything streamlined and you are really set up for success to join the property.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult, but pay attention to the questions that may lead you into knowing a little about the current state of the department or hotel, this will be a great clue and chance for you to ask questions about current work environment and the vision of your role.   Answer Question
    Company has pay guidelines, you will be paid fairly for the industry, the market you are working in, and your experience.

Front Desk Agent Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marriott.

They had a "career fair." Reviewed my resume and was interviewed on the spot. Nothing difficult. A lot of the questions are available online for typical interviews. They required a background check, which was done in two days and I received a phone call stating I would receive a formal email. The job was mine if I wanted it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected or difficult. I think the most difficult thing was explaining a negative situation and seeing a positive outcome.   Answer Question
    Given start rate is $9.25

Assistant General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

Was not bad at all. Got a call and had a quick phone interview. Afterwards I was contacted by the GM to come in for an interview. Waited for about a week before being setup with another interview with the Area Manager. The process was simple and took 2 weeks.

Straight forward, take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Marriott.

The general manager I interviewed with was incredibly friendly and professional. The process was quick and easy, and I heard back the same day. After working for a Carlson franchise, Marriott seems to be much more well organized and professional. The GM made sure I knew that there is plenty of room to grow and move around in the company.

Interview Questions
    Job offered starting at $10/hr. No negotiations. Talk as much as possible about past hotel experience and be big on customer service. It also helps if you can find common ground with the interviewer, like knowing the same people.

Housekeeping Interview

It was a smooth process and I loved the professionalism with what I was treated with. They are all about customer satisfaction and they make sure the inform new employees about it.

smooth process

Front Desk Agent Interview

Long and tedious process. Call it being thorough or job security for overstaffed HR department. It is what it is. Came in for initial interview, then called back to meet with supervisor. Waited 45 min to then speak with front office manager.

Hostess Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

Was called in for an interview 2 days after applying online, Had first interview and was called in for another about a week later. Marriott Uses the STAR technique for interviewing. Long interviewing process and most questions related to previous job experience(s).

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had your schedule change unexpectedly.   Answer Question

Rooms Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

Initial application completed online. Applicant will be contacted by recruiter (AonHewitt) to complete an online assessment and schedule phone interview. Phone interview with recruiter is basic information (resume review, highlight experience, etc.) Recruiter will ask a few questions regarding how you handle stress/different work situations/past challenges.

Next the recruiter schedules an on-property interview with the hiring manager. The interview will last approximately one hour. Marriott utilizes a department-specific interview template that is followed. STAR interview process (Situation, Task, Action, Result). For each question (ex. "Tell me about a time you had to overcome significant challenges to complete an assignment?) the interviewer is looking for a specific example based on your experience. The interviewer will be taking notes during your response and capturing your "STAR" response to each question. Be clear, concise, and be sure to clarify the specific situation, what the challenges or tasks assigned were, the steps you personally took, and the end result of your action. The more seamless and complete your answers the easier the process is for the hiring manager and therefore the better the overall impression of the applicant.

Next step entails 1-3 more interviews with progressively higher level executives (DIrector of Rooms, Hotel Manager, General Manager). Each interview will be increasingly less focused on STAR questions and more on overall character and experience of the applicant. Be prepared to discuss what uniquely qualifies you for the position, what you are able to bring to the property that others would not, long-term career goals, etc. While these interviews may feel less formal, understand that these executives are looking for candidates that can make an impact on the department/property, are outgoing/professional/polished/engaging, and would fit the hotel's culture well.

All follow-up information (possible request for references, etc.) plus any salary negotiation and/or job offer will be conducted by the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell me about your experiences and skills that would cause me to not interview another candidate and decide to hire you immediately?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate salary. Be confident with your experience and background and make the case why you are worth a certain amount. Marriott has salary ranges and suggested "MRP" (average salary) for each position based on market and size of property.

Guest Service Representative (Front Desk) Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marriott.

Was contacted by Human Resources for initial interview questions/screening. After passing that I was scheduled with Front office management. Very easy. Most questions had me relate to a previous experience and tell the problem and resolution.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a colleague that was difficult or challenging.   Answer Question
    Some negotiation, but ultimately they will set the pay.

Worked for Marriott? Contribute to the Community!