Marriott

Updated Feb 27, 2015

2.6

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marriott.

One-on-one Interview with VP and Senior Directors, back-to-back. Interview lasted all day, with no break in between. The questions were repetitive and the scheduled kept on switching between the interview panel. The second day I came in it was only hour long with two Senior Directors—one of them was late and barely engaged with me since he was on his phone most of the time. The second on admitted not having read my resume. He asked general background question (that were covered in the resume) and with only three minutes left, asked me if I had any questions for him. Since then, I've reached out to the recruiter and hiring manager but I haven't heard back. The recruiting at Marriott is mostly handled by Aon Hewitt contractors, and they tend not to be very organized in general, but considering this is a hospitality company, I thought it would be nice to least get a "thank you for time email", even if from the system.

Interview Questions
    • Each choose three questions to ask from a pre-determined list.   View Answer

Front Desk Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marriott.

Interview was painless and stress free. I interviewed with the front desk manager and she asked mebasisc questions about my background, what position I was interested in and how would I handle a difficult situation with a hotel guest.

Interview Questions
    • If a guest was angry and upset about something that was the hotels fault, how would you handle tat situation?   View Answer

Voyage Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA
    Anonymous Employee in Ames, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in February 2015.

They were at our career fair, so I got an interview for the following day. Interview questions were pretty easy, just situational questions. That night I was asked to fill out a personal test, and then it would be about 2 weeks till I found out if I was invited to a networking dinner with an interview following that, which they then would offer a position or not.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had an experience where you had to work as a team but could not complete the task?   Answer Question

Sever Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Marriott in February 2015.

I applied online an have the video interview 2 weeks after.That was really stressful because I havent done it before. Then about a week they asked me for a second interview. the interview is painfulness and not stressful at all. After the interview they let me wait for a week for a call if i got hire.

Front Desk Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marriott in February 2015.

the interview was brief, painless, and my interviewer was very welcoming.
    We sat down and she shot off some questions.
    She was very relaxed and laughed at my joke I cracked. it was a nice environment for the interview and I felt at home. She shook my hand as I approached, I clicked with her. she was very comforting and inviting

Interview Questions
    • Why should we pick you? how do you handle high stress situations?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

After I sent my resume they contacted me within minutes. I did 3 interviews one over the phone and 2 in person. After I got the job they sent me an offer within a week and I started 2 weeks after that. Mostly cuz I had to give 2 weeks notice to my employer. Interview advice. Know about the company you are trying to work for. Get all the facts of who they are and what they do. Chances are, they will ask you. Also, always ask questions. And don't forget to negotiate your offer.

Interview Questions
    They asked me how much I used to make and how much I would like to make.

Banquet Server Interview

Great experience. I was able to do all 3 of my interviews in 1 day. I met with the banquet manager, the head of the department, and the general manager of the property. Received a tour and did not have to sit around waiting for anyone.

I started at $13/hour with an increase after 6 months and and another after a year. by my 3rd year I was making $17/hour

Front Desk Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

The interview process was pretty normal, I had two on site interviews and then a phone interview and that is when I got the offer. It took about two weeks total to get everything finished and with drug testing and background check it took a while for my first day to begin but after that it was all smooth sailing.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about the companies values. I was much younger at the time and didnt do the proper research so my advice would be to really focus on the Marriott company in general and the specific properties history and information, it will make you shine and make the interview a complete breeze.   Answer Question

Rooms Controller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marriott.

Three interviews, the first one with the front desk Manager and them the Sr. Rooms Manager follow by the Resident Manager and last the General Manager. If you can pass through the Sr. Rooms Manager and the Resident manager theres great possibilities of getting the position. The most important key is to show personality and eager to learn and growth with the company.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult questions but if you don't have experience with guest, difficult situations and decision making this interview can be difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Director, Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Marriott in January 2015.

Short version: disorganized and smug.

I had a brief phone screen with HR, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. Things went very well initially and we seemed to be on the same page, so she invited me to headquarters for an in-person interview with herself and several colleagues.

My itinerary was a complete mess. The car service didn't show up at the airport, so I called and they said they had no reservation under my name. Nobody at Marriott was available to confirm, but thankfully they took my word for it and sent a car that was billed to the company. When I checked in at the Bethesda Marriott, they tried to bill me for the room because the reservation said nothing about me being an interview candidate and contained no payment info. Again, they took my word for it and sorted it out. I caught the shuttle to HQ the following morning and arrived at 8:15 AM as my itinerary instructed, then sat in the lobby for 45 minutes because nobody I was meeting that day had arrived yet. The whole process was disorganized and not what I expected from a company that prides itself on its hospitality. I've interviewed with small startups that provided painless arrangements and treated me with a lot more respect.

I was supposed to meet with 5 people that day, but one was dropped from the schedule with no reason given. Of the hour I had with each interviewer, at least half of that was wasted on asinine questions based on the STAR system, which was cutting edge in 1976 when I was born. Despite this role being responsible for design, I had no interviews with any actual designers, just management. I also didn't meet with anyone from IT–a key partner to design. It was clear from my discussions that day that the relationship with IT is strained.

The last person I interviewed with was a VP who took the day off and interviewed me over the phone. She spent a lot of time talking about "innovation" and other buzzwordy nonsense. She also namedropped the previous employers of a few of their current designers and implied that I might not be up to managing such a group, which is a pretty smug attitude from a company with a fairly mediocre web site.

They thanked me for my time and invited me to e-mail them if I had any additional questions about the role. I followed up twice over the next 2 weeks and never received a reply. About 3 weeks after my interview, I received a canned HR rejection e-mail.

I've had really great experiences with a few companies who ultimately decided I wasn't the right fit, and that was just fine because they treated me with respect throughout the process. Marriott provided one of the worst interview experiences I've had in my 15-year career.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you disagreed with your supervisor. What action did you take? What was the result?   View Answer