Marriott Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.7

Guest Service Representative (Front Desk) Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marriott.

Was contacted by Human Resources for initial interview questions/screening. After passing that I was scheduled with Front office management. Very easy. Most questions had me relate to a previous experience and tell the problem and resolution.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you worked with a colleague that was difficult or challenging.   Answer Question
    Some negotiation, but ultimately they will set the pay.

Guest Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Marriott in March 2013.

Interviewed then hired, very easy. Interviewed on the spot and received the position. Started days later. Interview was very laid back and informal. After hired was welcomed with open arms and given a lot of training opportunities.

Front Desk Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boulder, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marriott.

I was requested to interview for the Boulder Courtyard last week. The hotel, upon entering, was welcoming but did not have a traditional front desk and made me apprehensive about where to go.

The staff seemed friendly, it took approximately fifteen minutes for my interviewer to finally see me, and the staff griped about a certain component of the job.

As it turns out this hotel asks that the front desk agents also train in the bistro.

Interview Questions

I was not interested in cross-training for the bistro, as would be required for the position. Also, the position salary started lower than my current income.

Front Desk Representitve Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Solon, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solon, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Marriott in July 2014.

They had a Job Fair in the area so I thought I would go, resume in hand. I was asked to fill out a application that took at least 45minutes to fill out and asked me to give authorization for a credit check as well as the standard background check-all this before I had met anybody. One of the questions was "What other names are/have you known by?", which basically had be give information that I felt was not needed to disclose.

Interview Questions
    • Again, I felt the most unexpected question was what other names are/have you been known by? List all names below   View Answer
    • Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done? When you answer yes, then the interviewer felt she should tell me every job that also required- basically you have to know and be able to do every job in the hotel.   View Answer

Marriott Voyage Program Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Marriott.

They came to our school and they asked us questions based off of the star method. The first interview went well, therefore, they flew me to NJ for a second interview. there were 200 people there, altho I did not receive the job it was still a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • what was a dead line that you missed and what did you do to compensate for the tardiness   View Answer

Guest Services Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marriott in March 2014.

I was really impressed with the whole process. They posted the position online & called me in for the first interview. They asked me pretty standard questions, & at the end of the interview asked me to come for the second interview. They definitely want experience in customer service , & want to know what your future goals are. They are very positive about future growth with the company.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that were that difficult to ask   Answer Question
    They pretty much told me what the starting pay was & it was not negotiable

Rooms Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Marriott.

Initial application completed online. Applicant will be contacted by recruiter (AonHewitt) to complete an online assessment and schedule phone interview. Phone interview with recruiter is basic information (resume review, highlight experience, etc.) Recruiter will ask a few questions regarding how you handle stress/different work situations/past challenges.

Next the recruiter schedules an on-property interview with the hiring manager. The interview will last approximately one hour. Marriott utilizes a department-specific interview template that is followed. STAR interview process (Situation, Task, Action, Result). For each question (ex. "Tell me about a time you had to overcome significant challenges to complete an assignment?) the interviewer is looking for a specific example based on your experience. The interviewer will be taking notes during your response and capturing your "STAR" response to each question. Be clear, concise, and be sure to clarify the specific situation, what the challenges or tasks assigned were, the steps you personally took, and the end result of your action. The more seamless and complete your answers the easier the process is for the hiring manager and therefore the better the overall impression of the applicant.

Next step entails 1-3 more interviews with progressively higher level executives (DIrector of Rooms, Hotel Manager, General Manager). Each interview will be increasingly less focused on STAR questions and more on overall character and experience of the applicant. Be prepared to discuss what uniquely qualifies you for the position, what you are able to bring to the property that others would not, long-term career goals, etc. While these interviews may feel less formal, understand that these executives are looking for candidates that can make an impact on the department/property, are outgoing/professional/polished/engaging, and would fit the hotel's culture well.

All follow-up information (possible request for references, etc.) plus any salary negotiation and/or job offer will be conducted by the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell me about your experiences and skills that would cause me to not interview another candidate and decide to hire you immediately?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate salary. Be confident with your experience and background and make the case why you are worth a certain amount. Marriott has salary ranges and suggested "MRP" (average salary) for each position based on market and size of property.

Senior Administrative Assistant/Senior Program Specialist Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Marriott.

3 interviews . Apply online via marriott.com, get a call/email, come in and meet HR folks. Do a skills test on the computer, interview with level 1 and 2 managers and your new colleagues (if a small group).

Interview Questions
    • Typical Interview Questions...but you need to come with the right attitude and you'll get the job.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a higher pay.

Revenue Manager Interview

The interview process was not overly difficult. It seemed a bit scripted and had most of your basic hiring questions regarding your customer service skills and any experience relating to revenue management within the hospitality industry. If you prepare lightly you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to describe a situation where you've provided exceptional customer service   Answer Question

Guest Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Marriott in June 2014.

I arrived and Waited 30 minutes to be interviewed. They were conducting several interviews in surrounding rooms, as I waited. The interview was cut and dry, questions such as tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, what do you do now, do you have any questions for me, we'll get back to you this week after we've completed the hiring process.